cant get clutch out of chevy grain truck

Ray IN

Hi all. I spent all afternoon helping a friend try to remove the clutch from a 1988 Chevy C70 farm truck. We got the transmission off ok, but cant figure out how the clutch comes out. The bell housing serves as the rear engine mounts. First tried to drop the clutch out the bottom through the inspection cover, but not enough clearance. So blocked up the rear of engine and tried to rewove bell housing. Took out all the bolts we could find and some we couldn't hardly find! But it is stuck. Maybe there are some alignment dowels that are rusted stuck or something. Any advice on how this comes off?

There are 6 bolts, possibly 7 if one in the top center. All come from the back through the bell housing into the engine. There are 2 short alignment dowels. Normally it should just easily separate from the engine.

Never had one that the clutch wouldn't cone out the bottom. Did you remove the release bearing and arm? Try dropping the disc out first? Then the pp should drop out the bottom.

There would be alignment dowels and a lot of times you have bolts from the back side then some from the front side and sometimes the starter has to come off

Yes the bearing came out as well as the clutch disk. the frame cross member that the bell housing is resting on is about 4 inches wide, leaving about two inches between it and the flywheel. The pressure plate assembly is probably 1/4 inch wider than the gap.

You took the starter off? I think that also bolts to the bell housing on a heavy truck. If so needs to come off. And if I remember right there is also a tin shield over the bottom half in front of the flywheel that needs to come off. Best my memory can do from 40 years ago and mostly did pre 85 models.

DO NOT trim the cross member! I saw that done once and I had to replace the crossmember because it cracked where it had been trimmed. Mark

Did you jack up the engine very high? Maybe if you got it high enough then the pressure plate might clear. The last time I did one these was in the '80s and they all dropped out the bottom of the bell, like you were originally trying. Seems I remember the bell being a kind of a bear to remove though-sorry not much help here. Mark.

If it has a three finger pressure plate it might of helped if you had put spacers under the fingers as you loosened the pressure plate. Something like 3/8 or 7/16 nuts.

(quoted from post at 15:23:40 01/24/22) just put a tongue in the front and drag it like a wagon best thing for them ole GM trucks problem solved.

mvphoto87333.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back