cockshutt 1650

I am in the process of removing a clutch pack from a Cockshutt 1650 gas tractor.
after disconnecting the spider linkage, I am still unable to slide the clutch assembly towards the rear and off the shaft.
Is there anyone out there who has experience with this situation and has some suggestions?
Thank you.

I am in the process of removing a clutch pack from a Cockshutt 1650 gas tractor.
after disconnecting the spider linkage, I am still unable to slide the clutch assembly towards the rear and off the shaft.
Is there anyone out there who has experience with this situation and has some suggestions?
Thank you.
Are you asking about the PTO clutch?? If so, I think that you have to take the 3 bolts out that hold it to the case and pull the long shaft out before you can take the clutch apart. Even a I & T manual would be of assistance.

Thank you.
Did you remove PTO drive shaft from the rear of tractor?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
The snap ring that is descibed in greg oliver's post is a bit finicky to get at. You have to rotate the spider housing to the correct spot to get your snap ring pliers thru access slot into the holes in ends of snap ring. I think I use a fairly long pair of straight nose. Shine a light in there and you will see the snap ring. Once you remove the snap ring the whole assembly will slide out. Dont feel too bad about not seeing this snap ring. The first one I took apart had me stumped for a while until I finally read the manual!

After you take out the three bolts on the bearing retainer behind the clutch you'll need a pry bar to pull it out. The inner bearing is a bit tight.
After you take out the three bolts on the bearing retainer behind the clutch you'll need a pry bar to pull it out. The inner bearing is a bit tight.
That shaft it about six feet long with two splined sections. When it comes partway out the end splines will hit the hydraulic drive gear and you must rotate it till they like up. Not real hard, just need a bit of patience.

Not being an Oliver guy I was looking up to see if the chain coupler may have been referred to as the “spider linkage,” is that a common term? I see the conversation went to the PTO, is “spider linkage” a common term associated with the PTO? I think that the new member may be a bit confused about how to use a forum since his user name is also is the topic of his quest.
To new poster “1650 clutchpack” to add more information scroll down below what everyone has replied and type in the area the says “Write you reply..”
Here is a link to the AGCO online parts catalog for your tractor. Giving exact names of the parts you are referring to would be helpful. That AGCO catalog takes some time to load its pages so be patient.
AGCO CS/Oliver 1650 online parts catalog

The snap ring that is descibed in greg oliver's post is a bit finicky to get at. You have to rotate the spider housing to the correct spot to get your snap ring pliers thru access slot into the holes in ends of snap ring. I think I use a fairly long pair of straight nose. Shine a light in there and you will see the snap ring. Once you remove the snap ring the whole assembly will slide out. Dont feel too bad about not seeing this snap ring. The first one I took apart had me stumped for a while until I finally read the manual!
Thank you for that tip. I located the snap ring after rotating the spider housing. Next is purchasing the pliers.
I appreciate the advice

Not being an Oliver guy I was looking up to see if the chain coupler may have been referred to as the “spider linkage,” is that a common term? I see the conversation went to the PTO, is “spider linkage” a common term associated with the PTO? I think that the new member may be a bit confused about how to use a forum since his user name is also is the topic of his quest.
To new poster “1650 clutchpack” to add more information scroll down below what everyone has replied and type in the area the says “Write you reply..”
Here is a link to the AGCO online parts catalog for your tractor. Giving exact names of the parts you are referring to would be helpful. That AGCO catalog takes some time to load its pages so be patient.
AGCO CS/Oliver 1650 online parts catalog

Can you at least verify that you are working on the PTO or it it something else?
I am working on removing the clutch pack ..I have located the slot needed to remove the snap ring which is preventing the clutch pack from sliding rearward off the shaft, and then allowing me to remove the shaft as well.
I purchased a pair of snap ring pliers, however to this point I have been unsuccessful in extracting it. Any suggestions for that process would be appreciated.

what brand of pliers did you use? How long would those be?

I am working on removing the clutch pack ..I have located the slot needed to remove the snap ring which is preventing the clutch pack from sliding rearward off the shaft, and then allowing me to remove the shaft as well.
I purchased a pair of snap ring pliers, however to this point I have been unsuccessful in extracting it. Any suggestions for that process would be appreciated.
You have to hold your mouth just right to get it off!

Here is a pic of the internal snap ring pliers I use to remove the snap ring along with a couple pics of shaft removed from tractor. ( I am working on a 2-70 which for all intensive purposes should be same as your 1650.) Maybe yours is a single speed PTO but as far as I know that will not change the basics of removing the shaft,( complete with spider) then the clutch pac. Does yours look like this? I am wondering if you are getting the cart ahead of the horse as you said in an earlier post "after disconnecting the spider linkage" ?? It is a pretty basic/straight forward job once you get the snap ring out of the bore in housing. Sometimes a snap ring will be stuck in the groove so you give it a lttle persuasion with a small punch and hammer or something but in this case there shouldnt really be any corrosion so assuming you get your INTERNAL snap ring pliers into the ends of snap ring it should come out. Were are you at in this world? remote chance you are anywhere near me I could drop by and give you a hand? I am north east of Toronto. I assume reason for removal is you are replacing the discs? You should get a manual ordered if you allready havent?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_8405snap ring pliers.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8405snap ring pliers.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_IMG_8402close up of spider and bearing.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8402close up of spider and bearing.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail_IMG_8403pto.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8403pto.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 35
  • thumbnail_IMG_8404outside end of spider.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8404outside end of spider.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 29

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back