cockshutt 1650

I am in south east Saskatchewan not far from the American border.
I was under the impression that I needed to remove the snap ring that is downstream of the clutch pack as you face toward the front of the tractor in order to pull the clutch pack towards the rear of the tractor and then remove the long shaft.
I have a pair of snap ring pliers similar to yours, I have located the snap ring, however extracting it has proved fruitless.
The disconnected spider linkage is because one section of linkage was missing when I removed the 4 bolt round plate in order to peer into the clutch pack compartment and in speaking to the agiterra dealership, they said in order to order the correct link, I would have to take this apart.
So have I done the right thing so far?
I do have an I and T manual and the pictures are not too difficult to understand, however talking to 2 dealerships regarding this process, non of them seem to have manuals with pictures as clear as my own..The manual is Oliver and Cockshutt I and T shop service. Manual # 0-202 Copyright 1990.

I am in south east Saskatchewan not far from the American border.
I was under the impression that I needed to remove the snap ring that is downstream of the clutch pack as you face toward the front of the tractor in order to pull the clutch pack towards the rear of the tractor and then remove the long shaft.
I have a pair of snap ring pliers similar to yours, I have located the snap ring, however extracting it has proved fruitless.
The disconnected spider linkage is because one section of linkage was missing when I removed the 4 bolt round plate in order to peer into the clutch pack compartment and in speaking to the agiterra dealership, they said in order to order the correct link, I would have to take this apart.
So have I done the right thing so far?
I do have an I and T manual and the pictures are not too difficult to understand, however talking to 2 dealerships regarding this process, non of them seem to have manuals with pictures as clear as my own..The manual is Oliver and Cockshutt I and T shop service. Manual # 0-202 Copyright 1990.
Little too far for me to come help, but sounds like you are on the right track anyways. In my second pic it is the loose snap ring you can see in behind the bearing it retains when in the tractor. They can be tricky to get out. Sometimes if you just get one end started before the snap ring pliers slip off you can stick a small flat screwdriver or something under the end of snap ring till you get another bite on it. Just keep at it and you will get it eventually I am sure. I have the same I and T manual. Good luck with your 1650 they are a great tractor

Little too far for me to come help, but sounds like you are on the right track anyways. In my second pic it is the loose snap ring you can see in behind the bearing it retains when in the tractor. They can be tricky to get out. Sometimes if you just get one end started before the snap ring pliers slip off you can stick a small flat screwdriver or something under the end of snap ring till you get another bite on it. Just keep at it and you will get it eventually I am sure. I have the same I and T manual. Good luck with your 1650 they are a great tractor
To clarify, when I place the points of the pliers into the snap ring, should the pliers be expanding outwards or inwards to execute the removal of the ring? I realize this is an amateur question, but after countless times trying with both types of pliers, comparing what length of pliers to order and comparing brands and cost and quality, the frustration meter is registering just over the halfway increment.
Thanks for your patience and time.

To clarify, when I place the points of the pliers into the snap ring, should the pliers be expanding outwards or inwards to execute the removal of the ring? I realize this is an amateur question, but after countless times trying with both types of pliers, comparing what length of pliers to order and comparing brands and cost and quality, the frustration meter is registering just over the halfway increment.
https://www.amazon.com/SPEEDWOX-Ret...t=&hvlocphy=9020831&hvtargid=pla-855517343484

biuTkEW.jpeg

https://www.knipex-tools.com/produc...ng-ring-pliers-retaining-rings-shafts/4521200

The correct tool will make it a LOT easier!

If you are talking about the snap ring behind the bearing in pic 02 and accessed through the oblong hole in 04 you will spread it out or make the distance greater between the holes in the snap ring. In general terms if the snap ring is in a groove around the outside of something its ends need spread for it to be removed. If the snap ring is in a groove inside a hole the ends need retracted or pulled together to release the snap ring.

Inwards. This is an internal snap ring, meaning it goes inside a groove in a bore. So you need to bring ends of snap ring together to essentially make it smaller so it can slip out of bore. Your snap ring pliers have to be internal like the ones I showed you in picture. The ends of pliers that go into snap ring will be apart from each other in there rest position. The pliers I showed you in picture have a slight inward curve helping the points stay in the snap ring holes as you compress it, but I have used straight points as well. The pliers that wore out posted link to are not for the snap ring you are trying to get out, they are intended for External lock rings. They may work for the other external rings on shaft, but they can be taken off with a couple small screw drivers. ( unless you are replacing bearing there is no need to remove anyway) used red must think the snap ring is on shaft behind the bearing? The picture is after snap ring is removed from housing and shaft has been withdrawn from tractor. Snap ring is just floating in there.
Man I am starting to become almost as frustrated as you are! This should not be that big of a deal. Maybe you have a mechanical friend that could stop by and lend you a hand? A lot of times another set of eyes on something helps. Or can you post a picture or better still a video clip of you trying to get it out?

Inwards. This is an internal snap ring, meaning it goes inside a groove in a bore. So you need to bring ends of snap ring together to essentially make it smaller so it can slip out of bore. Your snap ring pliers have to be internal like the ones I showed you in picture. The ends of pliers that go into snap ring will be apart from each other in there rest position. The pliers I showed you in picture have a slight inward curve helping the points stay in the snap ring holes as you compress it, but I have used straight points as well. The pliers that wore out posted link to are not for the snap ring you are trying to get out, they are intended for External lock rings. They may work for the other external rings on shaft, but they can be taken off with a couple small screw drivers. ( unless you are replacing bearing there is no need to remove anyway) used red must think the snap ring is on shaft behind the bearing? The picture is after snap ring is removed from housing and shaft has been withdrawn from tractor. Snap ring is just floating in there.
Man I am starting to become almost as frustrated as you are! This should not be that big of a deal. Maybe you have a mechanical friend that could stop by and lend you a hand? A lot of times another set of eyes on something helps. Or can you post a picture or better still a video clip of you trying to get it out?
Sorry for my incorrect directions. I now see the part is disassembled in his picture. The snap-ring is removed from the internal groove of the bore it retained the bearing in.

if you read this I am in manitoba and could possibly help you. 204-526-0505 I have a 1650 and 1750

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back