Crop Damage by Deer

Each year I lose several acres of corn because of Deer. My farm in Illinois does not have any public roads surrounding the fields. Secondly, I have a major creek that goes through the farm. In other words, my farm is Deer Heaven! I obtained a permit to kill deer during the summer from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. The problem is when the Deer dies in the field, you damage a lot of crop retrieving the Deer. My farm is a corn/soybean operation. Should I change to a crop that the Deer doesn't like? It seems to me Deer are not as scared of people, tractors, etc., like they were in the past. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure it's deer or is it raccoons? Coons will pull it down flat, deer will just eat it off the cob for the most part. Raccoons like to do their worst when it's in the milk stage.

It is Deer. They eat the tassel as soon as it emerges. It has a sweet taste at the early stage of development. Then that corn stalk is done. Then they eat the ear on another stalk that did not lose it's tassel, when the ear is in development. I lost about 3 acres this year. As soon as the corn stalk dies, weeds development. I just finished mowing off all the weeds today. I wish I knew how to control them.

I've had the same problem in one field in particular. They start at the edge and eat out in to it from there. Other fields, the coons will flatten it in a matter of a few days. Only solution I've found in the one that gets hit hard with deer is to keep it in alfalfa as much as possible.

In my area several farmers are making Big Buck$ charging hunters to come kill deer and bear in their corn fields.Build a few blinds and you'll be surprised how much they will pay.Most charge a daily fee and additional fee for whatever is shot.Kill them off the Fall and Winter less deer next year,bear will really tear up corn.

I see more dropped on the ground around the perimeter ,so must be coons , Does the planting of sweet corn around the perimeter help .
Seem like fire to six rows deep really destroyed

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back