Cub Cadet 122 . Has anyone made their own hydraulic lift ?

DigJoe

New User
I got a free Cub Cadet 122 and hydraulics are pretty pricey to buy . Has anyone made their own ? I was a machinist for 24 years and could make some parts . I'm looking for resources like part drawings , off the shelf parts that can be used like rams and pumps , and to hear some success stories from people who have got it done .

Attachments

• IMG_0277 2.jpeg
    IMG_0277 2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
I got a free Cub Cadet 122 and hydraulics are pretty pricey to buy . Has anyone made their own ? I was a machinist for 24 years and could make some parts . I'm looking for resources like part drawings , off the shelf parts that can be used like rams and pumps , and to hear some success stories from people who have got it done .
Haven't done it on a Cub Cadet but I did on a Farmall B and I used a power steering pump from a Chevy for the hyd pump

Never saw hydraulic systems installed. Have saw a few different lawn tractors with 12 volt actuators used for lifts.

I have 123 with the factory installed hydraulic pump. They are out there but not real common. The factory pump runs off of the belt pulley at the transmission end of the engine. Not a lot different from a large power steering pump.

Just make sure if you run the pump on a belt, the pump needs to be designed for the side loading that the belt drive will apply to the pump. A lot of gear pumps are designed for direct drive, straight on. I built this one on my MH 101 Jr.:
0604201755 (1).jpg

The pump is a NOS one that attaches to the cam gears. One for a Cub won't be this herkie, but the concepts apply. The ram is way oversized even for this application, but it was sitting under my workbench for years. I considered a GM power steering pump like Old used, before I found the OEM pump.
steve

Last edited:
I don't know where you are located but you might try this guy.

Attachments

• 20240515_053159.jpg
    20240515_053159.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
The pump itself is not that hard to find because it was a hydraulic kit that went on many different tractors, such as Jacobsen/Ford, Montgomery Ward, as well as Cub Cadet.

It is a little unit consisting of pump, reservoir and control valve. If you find one of these all you really need to do is fab up some brackets.
IMG_0791.jpeg

The pump itself is not that hard to find because it was a hydraulic kit that went on many different tractors, such as Jacobsen/Ford, Montgomery Ward, as well as Cub Cadet.

It is a little unit consisting of pump, reservoir and control valve. If you find one of these all you really need to do is fab up some brackets.View attachment 71130
I did a little searching and found these parts from a John Deere . Maybe I can make them work .
434230183_1463288180950092_6769907661981069935_n.jpg

Just make sure if you run the pump on a belt, the pump needs to be designed for the side loading that the belt drive will apply to the pump. A lot of gear pumps are designed for direct drive, straight on. I built this one on my MH 101 Jr.:
View attachment 71107

The pump is a NOS one that attaches to the cam gears. One for a Cub won't be this herkie, but the concepts apply. The ram is way oversized even for this application, but it was sitting under my workbench for years. I considered a GM power steering pump like Old used, before I found the OEM pump.
steve
Real nice work!!

Does anyone know what size ram to use for a custom setup ? How much piston travel ? Those JD parts I was looking at disappeared quick .

The piston travel will be determined by the length of throw of your manual linkage. The various cylinders available for this application are about 1-1/4” bore.

Ford linkage power steering from the late 50s to mid 60s have nice two way cylinders with substantial stroke. 5/8 rod and 1.5 or so diameter. Junk yard city. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back