cub oil type

bv

I changed the oil in my 56 model Cub and now it's smoking< I don't know what they used in it before but I put 15W-40 back in, will it stop smoking or do I need to change to something else? Thanks.

I changed the oil in my 56 model Cub and now it's smoking< I don't know what they used in it before but I put 15W-40 back in, will it stop smoking or do I need to change to something else? Thanks.
If you have operated it for an hour or more "smoking" check the oil to see if it has turned very black. If so, change it again with a new filter. 15-40 has detergents that can clean up an engine that has had single wt. oil, especially non-detergent, in it. How long have you had it? did it get overfilled? Jim

If you have operated it for an hour or more "smoking" check the oil to see if it has turned very black. If so, change it again with a new filter. 15-40 has detergents that can clean up an engine that has had single wt. oil, especially non-detergent, in it. How long have you had it? did it get overfilled? Jim
I've had it for 2 years but not used much, I didn't overfill it, so you think the 15W-40 will be fine to use?

I've had it for 2 years but not used much, I didn't overfill it, so you think the 15W-40 will be fine to use?
Quality 15-40 is good oil in a older tractor. The modern oils for cars has different additives to avoid contamination of catalytic converters, and is nt as good for older engines. If it keeps smoking after 30 hours and if it needed new oil it may just be getting tired and need engine repair. It is an engine in which the cylinders are bored in the block casting, so oversize pistons and cylinder boring are needed to rebuild them. Not just a sleeve and piston kit. Jim

The old used car dealerships trick was to put in a bunch of STP to stop the smoke signals.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back