Cub steering question

SteveinVA

New User
I own a 1948 Farmall Cub and the restoration is now focused on steering. The steering on this Cub has been extremely sloppy so I started by completely disassembling the steering box. Yikes - what a mess, but that is for another post. My question involves the worm gear on the steering shaft. I can find no drawing that shows how the gear is attached to the shaft. My thrust washers are rusted solid to the worm gear and I'm reluctant to get too heavy handed with their removal until I understand what holds the worm gear in place. I expected the drawing to show the shaft to be splined in the area of the worm gear but it doesn't. Is the gear an integral part of the shaft or is it welded on? Any insight on this is appreciated.

[/img:6ebc597b71]

If the Worm and sector gear are really worn, the answer is a good used one. Bates Equipment in Bourbon Indiana May be one source. If the gears are OK, the answer will be found in the sector bushings, and the ball bearing at the bottom of the worm. That bearing is responsible for controlling the worm, and must be a heavy duty Deep Groove bearing. Jim

Thanks for all the advice and help from everyone on my 1952 Cub steering problem just started do ing an immediate left turn if steering wheel is turned loose for a second. Tire Pressure is good both wheels. Brakes not stuck or left one for sure. All is occurring on hard ground and or hard surface roads.??Keep tips coming PLease-Thanks...Sliverfoxx.

Thanks for all the advice and help from everyone on my 1952 Cub steering problem just started do ing an immediate left turn if steering wheel is turned loose for a second. Tire Pressure is good both wheels. Brakes not stuck or left one for sure. All is occurring on hard ground and or hard surface roads.??Keep tips coming PLease-Thanks...Sliverfoxx.
This might be late, but have you lifted the left axle and tried to rotate the tire? it should turn freely on its bearings. Jim

This might be late, but have you lifted the left axle and tried to rotate the tire? it should turn freely on its bearings. Jim
No JimI am planning to just that in the morning and also check it for excess play left to right and top to bottom grasping the wheel. I am just going to raise the axle side of the wheel just enough for it to clear the concrete floor. Thanks Jim, Should you or anyone else have some ideas and tips please send them on please.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back