1952 Farmall Steering Question

The primary factor is tire pressure. Check that first. The steering mechanism is neutral from the tierods up. the left side does have more load on it from the offset nature of the tractor. Mud/soft soil will also affect the more heavily loaded (left) tire. Jim
Yes Sir, checked the tire Pressure in both Front wheels and right was at 25 Psi and left was at 22 PSI so I Increased it to 25 also. Would that much difference or could that little make that difference.?? No Psi rating on the New Rear tire Also and tubes, so what PSI would they be set at. 9.5 x 24 tires. ( All 4 tires and tubes are brand new ones.).

Sometimes the clamps on the axle where you adjust tread width get loose. Run that way, the pins and holes through the axle wear and let the outer axle turn a limited amount. Eventually the outer axle will drag back so the kingpin angle becomes negative. They don't track well that way. Make sure your outer axles are positioned so the center of the wheel is forward of the axle.
They seem to be just to be just a little behind the center of the wheel.?? How do I go about changing this so they are out front where should be as you described....Just a NOVICE Here Jim. Also the two pins you put in I guess when adjusting axle width appears painted over but bottom of both pins looked threaded and a hole drilled thru them so as a Castle nut and a cotter key should be on them.?? Nothing on either pin. If it needs them what size nut goes on them....Thank you very much....

Last edited:
Have you checked the wheel bearings on that side?
Just did that yesterday. Both front wheels Spin very straight and true with no drag on them.. No up and down movement in either one. But the left one has a good amount of free movement from left to right shaking it. Seems as it spins freely, though it may just need removing cup and tightening that Castle Nut some more. Or I could be a Bad Bearing one or the other. YOUR THOUGHTS ???..

They seem to be just to be just a little behind the center of the wheel.?? How do I go about changing this so they are out front where should be as you described....Just a NOVICE Here Jim. Also the two pins you put in I guess when adjusting axle width appears painted over but bottom of both pins looked threaded and a hole drilled thru them so as a Castle nut and a cotter key should be on them.?? Nothing on either pin. If it needs them what size nut goes on them....Thank you very much....
The pins are just pins held with cotter pins. The clamp they go through should have 2 bolts to tightly clamp the inner axle to the extension. The pin should be tight enough in both parts to hold the extension at the right angle. If the clamps have been loose, the holes may be worn allowing them to lean the wrong way. Try loosening the bolts and see if the extension is stuck or will rotate. If it rotates, you may be able to tighten the clamp to hold it in the proper place. If stuck, it may be very difficult to break loose and reposition.

Just did that yesterday. Both front wheels Spin very straight and true with no drag on them.. No up and down movement in either one. But the left one has a good amount of free movement from left to right shaking it. Seems as it spins freely, though it may just need removing cup and tightening that Castle Nut some more. Or I could be a Bad Bearing one or the other. YOUR THOUGHTS ???..
Pull it off and have a looks see.

If the wheel/hub combo has no play when push pulling the top and bottom, the likely slop side to side is steering linkage looseness which won't affect a left pulling problem. not the bearing. Jim

Yep she is a Belly Mower and with it raised on level concrete each side of Mower is 4 3/4" from cement.?? Overall just eyeing it is apparently Level to the eye. Now Tomorrow I will check out both final Drive Units to see if they are low or empty as I have not checked them in about 6 or 7 months since I pulled and cleaned them all out and reinstalled and refilled them then.
I am going put sometime today and try to get the final units checked out for low Oil in them. Thanks

Thank you Jim, as it much appreciated..
A small level (torpedo level) held against the Knee tube (part that goes down from the axle and has the spindle on the bottom) on the side with no zerk, can show if one side of the axle has been tweeked rearward. both should be pretty much vertical measuring with the level on the front or rear of the tube. A little difference is dramatic. Jim

Hi Jim, It may not be the problem but sure needs adressing for sure I think and it on the Driver side LEFT FRONT WHEEL area. Jim on top of the left front wheel spindle at the top where the arm that goes out to the tie rods for steering I was going over all I had done and everyone had listed and all of sudden as I was checking Bolts for tightness, the bolt that goes thru the bar that goes out to the tie rods is stripped out. I started to tighten it and all that was making a little hard at first was the coasts of red paint on it. Could this be the problem or just a bolt that needs replacing. Also what size bolt goes in there diameter, length etc. and is it a special one I have to find and order, or can I Just tale it with me to ACE Hdwe. or Tractor Supply and match it up there. ???? Thanks. Jim.

Hi Jim Becker, It may not be the problem but sure needs adressing for sure I think and it on the Driver side LEFT FRONT WHEEL area. Jim on top of the left front wheel spindle at the top where the arm that goes out to the tie rods for steering I was going over all I had done and everyone had listed and all of sudden as I was checking Bolts for tightness, the bolt that goes thru the bar that goes out to the tie rods is stripped out. I started to tighten it and all that was making a little hard at first was the coasts of red paint on it. Could this be the problem or just a bolt that needs replacing. Also what size bolt goes in there diameter, length etc. and is it a special one I have to find and order, or can I Just tale it with me to ACE Hdwe. or Tractor Supply and match it up there. ???? Thanks. Jim.

All of a sudden my Farmall Cub AG Tractor started doing a left turn on me if turn loose of steering wheel for a few seconds. Haven't hit anything with front end, all bolts and clamps are really tight. Just started doing it.???Any ideas, tips, or just what is wrong with it and How can I fix it. I am very New with the Farmall IH Cub and into antique tractors also. I am not much of a mechanic, but I can follow instructions very well.....Would appreciate it very much!!!!!
20240501_212337.jpg

This is a stab in the dark after reading other replies. If I overlooked this being mentioned, forgive me. There should be adjustable ball sockets ( part # 4 where my pen is pointing ) on each end of both tie rods. On the outer ends of these tie rod sockets, there should be a cap with a flat screwdriver slot, where it can be adjusted to keep good tension on the steering arm balls, and a small cotter pin goes through this said cap to retain it in place. Do you have any lost motion at any of the 4 steering ball joints, whether it be at the center steering gearbox arm or on the outer steering arm atop of the spindles ? Sounds kinda like the toe in has come out of sorts. If you lift upwards firmly on both tie rods, is there any significant upwards movement in the center steering arm where it appears from inside the steering gearbox ?

There were 2 ways the steering arm was attached to the spindle (1 and 16 in CR's picture). Early ones used a special setscrew. The later clamped with standard bolts. A 1952 should be the late style. The bolt is a 7/16-20 x 2. That is a fine thread. I would suggest using at least grade 5. There is also a key to keep the arm in place. If the key is worn, you might want to take it along to the hardware store and get a new one of them while getting the bolt. A store with a good hardware/bolt section should have the bolt and the key.

The way I read this, the tractor is turning left after a few seconds when you let go of the steering wheel.

Does it feel like it's constantly fighting you, pulling the tractor to the left while you're holding on to the steering wheel?

To me it seems like the solution is, at least after all this troubleshooting and head-scratching, don't let go of the steering wheel.

This is an old tractor not a Formula 1 race car, after all. It's not going to track perfectly straight when you let go of the steering wheel, ever. Why always left? Look for other commonalities. Are you going across the same spot every time you let go of the wheel?

If you haven't hit anything, can't feel any difference in how the tractor steers, can't find any loose, broken or misaligned components, all you can do is hold on to the steering wheel like you should be anyway.

All of a sudden my Farmall Cub AG Tractor started doing a left turn on me if turn loose of steering wheel for a few seconds. Haven't hit anything with front end, all bolts and clamps are really tight. Just started doing it.???Any ideas, tips, or just what is wrong with it and How can I fix it. I am very New with the Farmall IH Cub and into antique tractors also. I am not much of a mechanic, but I can follow instructions very well.....Would appreciate it very much!!!!!
recall the weight of the tractor is on that side in front. no choice. Jim

recall the weight of the tractor is on that side in front. no choice. Jim
The axle pivot is in the center of the axle. The weight on both front wheels is identical as long as both axle extensions are set for the same width. The offset engine and drive train results in more weight on the left rear than the right rear.

Hi Fellows, Well I just want to thank all of you for your. dedicated tips, thoughts etc. to correct this steering problem. It is just beyond my realm and nothing has worked. I tried really hard to fix it but I just cant do it. One being I am 92 and cant do a lot at a time, so it takes me too long to get anything done to it. The other thing is beyond my low strength level, is being able to figure things out as once did. You all tried what I thought was your best guess and seemed entirely possible and I thank you all for that. I went out to the tractor shed which is enclosed entirely where it is kept and built a raised floor to keep it off of the ground and is 12" off of ground this way. I jacked it up all way around and put jack stands under each axle to leave tractor suspended in air to keep weight off of the the brand new tires and removed the Battery Cables. I have Given UP !!! There it will be left I guess till after I am gone...All the Best !!!! Silverfoxx ....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back