D17 Engine Oil Filter Pressure

WMcC

I recently bought an early Series 1 D17 (SN 2106). It's engine SN is high (59939-7), so I'm fairly certain it's a replacement from one of the newer models. I first noticed this because its oil filter is different than another Series 1 I have. The filter is a female threaded spin-on type, and it's an inch taller (FRAM PH8A), so the hood actually touches it when installed. Another clue is that the oil pressure gauge is pegged high when the engine is running, even at idle and with correct oil quantity (and the gauge line seeps oil).

To ensure plenty clearance from the hood, would there be a problem with installing a smaller filter with the same gasket and threads? I'm assuming I would also need to get an oil gauge from the newer series to make the oil pressure read correctly?

I don't think they changed anything with the hoods over the series. I guess you could use a shorter filter, but I don't see how it's hitting.
AaronSEIA

I'm thinking that at some point the engines went from bypass oil filtration to full flow oil filtration, and I'm GUESSING that is what the O.P. has encountered? YAMMV!

(quoted from post at 05:46:38 07/29/23) I recently bought an early Series 1 D17 (SN 2106). It's engine SN is high (59939-7), so I'm fairly certain it's a replacement from one of the newer models. I first noticed this because its oil filter is different than another Series 1 I have. The filter is a female threaded spin-on type, and it's an inch taller (FRAM PH8A), so the hood actually touches it when installed. Another clue is that the oil pressure gauge is pegged high when the engine is running, even at idle and with correct oil quantity (and the gauge line seeps oil).

To ensure plenty clearance from the hood, would there be a problem with installing a smaller filter with the same gasket and threads? I'm assuming I would also need to get an oil gauge from the newer series to make the oil pressure read correctly?
******* I will bet your engines s/n is 59939-Z not "7". If you look directly down from your oil filter base, I think you will find a cover with 2 bolts in it. This is where the fuel pump was installed when the engine was installed in a Gleaner model "E" combine. So, yes, the filter itself has been moved up a little bit. BUT, I don't ever remember anyone else ever complaining about this clearance issue. Are you sure your hood isn't sprung or bent a little ????? It should be perfectly straight, not bowed inward one bit. A Fram PH16 will work as it is shorter. A newer series D-17 gauge or a 50 or 60 psi gauge will work. Normal oil pressure is 30 tops and 12 psi or so idling.

This post was edited by DrAllis on 07/30/2023 at 04:15 am.

The pressure gauge is probably reading high because it was made for a series 1 that had much lower pressure. Get a guage that is for a later D17.

Thanks, guys!

I added a photo to show how the filter touches the hood. When I sight it from the nose, it looks like there may be just a slight inward bow, so that may contribute a bit. Fortunately, its just barely touching, so I dont think itll be a big deal.

cvphoto159949.jpg

DrAllis,

Youre exactly right! What I thought to be a 7 on the engine SN is actually a Z! Also, it sure does have a cover with two bolts in it below the filter! Thats amazing
that the Gleaner used the same engine!

As I posted with the pic, there appears to be just a tiny bow on the hood, and it just barely touches, so I dont think itll be the issue I originally feared.

Thank you for the great info, and the advice on the pressure gauge too!

I use a NAPA 1085 filter on my D17III
It's shorter.

I dind't have clearance issues but it's the same as in my 2004 dodge hemi so I stock fewer filters. I also think the shorter filter might fill up faster on startup to oil the engine quicker.
I use the same filter for the hydraulics too.

I compared specs several years ago betweek the 1085 and the taller original filter and the micron rating and filter capacity were the same so I"m not sure what you gain wiht the tall filter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back