Deere B shifter adjustment

garjess

I just replaced the two bearings on the sliding shaft and the two on the overdrive gear shaft. I'm having trouble getting the gears to engage properly. I've followed the instructions in the manual about
adjusting the shifting rod and everything lines up except the sliding pinion doesn't go into the overdrive gear very far, only about 1/8 inch. The book says to split the difference between 4th and the
overdrive gear but if I do that, 4th and none of the other gears line up very well. It seems like the furthest right detent on the shifting rod needs to be further over but its been like this for 76 years.
All the gears look like they have been perfectly line up, none show any signs of uneven wear. When I got the tractor the bearing that should be inside the overdrive gear was in pieces in the sump but the
gear wasn't damaged, the outer race was still in the gear. The sliding shaft was worn and I replaced it with a good used one. When I saw the sliding shaft flopping around I knew I had found my problem so I
didn't do any further investigating before disassembly so I don't know how it engaged before. Pic one shows the gear disengaged from the overdrive gear and pic two shows it engaged. When I took the pics I had the shifter shaft cheated over toward the overdrive gear a little. You can see in pic two
that there is a lot of tooth left to engage.
Am I missing something stupid? It wouldn't be the first time!
Anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas?
Thanks
Gary

cvphoto134293.jpg

cvphoto134294.jpg

The manual instructions you used are all you can do.. I will add; With them in this position, with end of shaft against the adjusting screw, insert cap-screw in left end of shaft and tighten securely.. Screw jam nut on the set screw tight.. Adjust what is needed so the gears you use the most shift and engage the best they can.. As was said; get a happy medium...

I followed the instructions, but apparently not good enough. The manual says to strike the end of the shaft to seat the bearing on the end of the sliding shaft. I did this but what the book should have said was to knock the living s@@@ out of it!
I installed the first reduction gear and slid the clutch on just to check how the gears meshed. I noticed the FRG teeth missed the old marks on the clutch gear by the same amount the pinion was short of fully engaging. Some FIRM wacks with a hammer on the end of the shaft fixed the problem

garjess When I built my pulling tractor years ago it jumped out gear. I checked everything and found what you have. Kinda in between. Took the shifter shaft out and welded up detent and moved it out to where it would fully engage when shifted to right and the rest of the gears were in alignment too. Helps to have a brother with a machine shop. Lynn

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back