Deere Disc Mowers HP Requirements

DanielW

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Deere 1314 & 1315 disc mowers. There's hardly anything about them online - they look like they were primarily sold in Europe and not a lot made it over here.

These are mounted disc mowers with impeller-style conditioners. The 1314 has a cutting width of just over 5 feet, while the 1315 is six and a half. They have the gear-to-gear style cutter-bars (not the shaft/New Idea style). I'm guessing they were built sometime in the 80's or early 90's. I'm presuming these are a rebadged Kuhn or similar, but that's just a guess. Parts seem to be available from Deere... for now.

There's a 1315 for sale not far from me that looks in reasonable condition for a reasonable price. What really intrigues me is that the operator's manual (available online) lists the minimum HP for the 1315 as 50 HP. This seems pretty optimistic for a disc mower, especially with impeller conditioning. But, I have only a little experience with disc mowers, and none with flail or impeller conditioning, so maybe that's reasonable?

It would be great if I could mount this on my Allis 170 (gas, unfortunately). I have larger tractors it could go on, but the Allis has no other dedicated purpose during haying, so it could stay mounted and be a dedicated cutting tractor, rather than having to unhook for a baler, etc.

Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated.

You can go to link below to download or purchase an operators manual. Horsepower requirement specifications below were taken from OM
https://techpubs.deere.com/en-US/Search/Equipment

mvphoto88645.png

I always laugh at their HP requirements. We have a Frontier 1384 conservation seeder, The manual says 50 hp minimum. We run it on a JD 4240 (2wd, 4 post ROPS, 110 PTO HP), and need a minimum of 800# hanging on the front to be able to pick it up when it's fully loaded, and even then you need to be careful or the front end will lift. As far as HP to run a disc mower, we run a JD 925 pull type mower conditioner, 9 ft cut with impeller conditioning, with the same tractor and you wouldn't want any smaller tractor on it. You can try the mower on your 170, but my guess is that you will be unhooking the bigger tractor from your baler.

I run a 9-10 foot new holland disc mower on my 60hp Ford 5200. Perfect match. I can drive as fast as Im comfortable hanging on - 6th gear generally - and it just starts to pull the engine down in the wet bog of reed canary grass where its real heavy.

No conditioner, and I have the rear tires filled and 3 weights on the front of the tractor. Its just barely heavy enough that way, more of a weight issue than a power issue.

Now I realize you are talking about a disc with a conditioner so its way different, but sure a lot smaller width?

Id be worried about the weight of the tractor more than the hp maybe.

Paul

Thanks to all for your responses. I think Willow Lane is thinking exactly what I was; 50 HP is overly optimistic. I'll continue to ponder, and not be too upset if it sells before I make up my mind.

My neighbor has a Deere 925 MoCo with impeller type conditioner. He tried running it with his IH 756 Diesel and it just didn't have enough power to pull it at over 3-4 MPH in heavy hay. He had to use his Allis 190XT which is about 100HP on the PTO to be able to pull it at any decent speed.

The impeller conditioner takes a LOT of power. These mowers you're speaking of are about half the size of the 925.

That was always my understanding, the impeller conditioners really use up the horsepower. The discs mowers themselves require very little, but adding the flail conditioners makes it an entire different situation.

A neighbor got the roadside mowing contract and used a Vicon 7'disc mower (no crimper) on an Allis 170 . We used to mow lots of good alfalfa on hilly ground with a 40 hp ford 850 pulling a Hesston PT-12', but when we got a 12' Hydraulic driven hydro swing it took almost twice as much power. Going to a mechanical drive NH 1431 discbine with crimper took about 100+hp tractor.

(quoted from post at 05:30:03 03/02/22) Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about the Deere 1314 & 1315 disc mowers. There's hardly anything about them online - they look like they were primarily sold in Europe and not a lot made it over here.

These are mounted disc mowers with impeller-style conditioners. The 1314 has a cutting width of just over 5 feet, while the 1315 is six and a half. They have the gear-to-gear style cutter-bars (not the shaft/New Idea style). I'm guessing they were built sometime in the 80's or early 90's. I'm presuming these are a rebadged Kuhn or similar, but that's just a guess. Parts seem to be available from Deere... for now.

There's a 1315 for sale not far from me that looks in reasonable condition for a reasonable price. What really intrigues me is that the operator's manual (available online) lists the minimum HP for the 1315 as 50 HP. This seems pretty optimistic for a disc mower, especially with impeller conditioning. But, I have only a little experience with disc mowers, and none with flail or impeller conditioning, so maybe that's reasonable?

It would be great if I could mount this on my Allis 170 (gas, unfortunately). I have larger tractors it could go on, but the Allis has no other dedicated purpose during haying, so it could stay mounted and be a dedicated cutting tractor, rather than having to unhook for a baler, etc.

Any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated.
enerally speaking on a disc mower with conditioning rolls you want 10 hp per foot to run a machine well and not over work a tractor.

Above and beyond the matter of power, my neighbor has the 5 ft cut model. Lots of problems. Hard to mount and doesn't cut well is what he mentioned.

(quoted from post at 16:46:21 03/22/22) Above and beyond the matter of power, my neighbor has the 5 ft cut model. Lots of problems. Hard to mount and doesn't cut well is what he mentioned.

What is brand of your neighbor's cutter? 5 ft cut sounds as if your neighbors cutter is a drum not disc cutter. Has your neighbor read/followed his cutters operators manual?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back