Early John Deere AR Wheels

Jon Eifert

New User
I just received my serial number research back today for my 1935 John Deere AR, and I found the wheel information kind of interesting. It said "AC1064, rear wheels with 11.25x24 low-pressure pneumatic rubber tires, option for "GP"; ac1060, front spoke wheels with 6.00x16, 4-ply low pressure rubber tires and bearings, regular for "AI", special equipment for "AR" and "AO"". I know the fronts were pretty common but, to my knowledge, the only pneumatic tire offered then for the rear was the solid cast rims. Has anyone heard of this? I know there are AR"s and AO"s out there with spokes but everything I have read has said that they weren"t offered for these tractors.
a56024.jpg

Jon, The late Duane Larson has some good info on the rims at his web site. Looking in the archives here, you"ll find afew differences of opinions on the spoke rears available for AR only, and not AO, but I think it was finally established in a later post of Duane"s that in a catalog the spoke rim was listed as an option but not fully specific to just the AR. if you can find two cylinder issue nov-dec 1993, it has detailed serial breaks for certain cast numbers and decisions. Looks like a nice solid find as the paint in the rear rims faded smooth all together for some awesome looking contrasts. Leaver original, it only happens once. Remember this, there were plenty of dealer installs that took place that were never recorded, as well as descrepancies in the records. Many western tractors left the railyard with no rims/tires or front end assemblies until reaching their final destination or a customer took what was on hand and had their choice installed when it arrived. I"m sure there will be many opinions on this AR/AO matter as there always is, but those are the ones who don"t own one of these unsung heroes of Deere. A true AR/AO owner doesn"t really care which it actually is, because the factory rarely had a clue. As far as wheel combinations, obviously they look to be in primo shape, so ones you don"t have to repair or replace are better than the alternative. good find !!!!

Dear Jon, nice tractor! To further complicate matters, look at the front round spoke wheels on your tractor. They have the large center caps like you would find on a Farmall F-20. If you look at pictures of early AO's & AR's, you will see the large center caps with 4 bolts holding them on.

Unstyled A's, GP's, and later AR/AO's with F&H front round spokes have small center caps with 3 bolts holding them on. Take care, Eb

Reactions: ET
Thanks John!
To me the ORIGINALS like this are harder to find then one painted! I love the originals Theres nothing better ! Here is one more pic! Chris
a56032.jpg

Those are the factory round spoke wheels available both for the GP nd AR. Front and rear.Notice the bevel on the cast center of the rear wheel. nice find..

Thanks for the responses. I picked this one up on the Indiana Michigan border but it originally shipped to Missouri. The crazy part is that the whole reason this tractor caught my eye was because I picked up a 35 AO about 3 months prior to this one and they were only 3 serial #'s apart! The AO was in MI here as well but originally shipped to New York.

Been looking at those wheels.What size rear tire on that tractor? Are the center spokes welded to another rim?

They are 26 inch rims. It looks like the rim rotted out, and so someone took and welded the old rim inside a new rim.

Jon, nice tractor. Would you mind sharing the s.n. of your AR and AO? You can send an e-mail if you want. I've got couple of early AR's and AO's that I've restored. I'm really fond of the standards...

I don"t mind sharing them. The AO is 251232 and the AR is 251235. I am a big fan of the standard tractors as well. If you don"t mind sending me an email, I would like to give you a shout and maybe we could discuss a little. I"m always looking for more information on them.

Jon, Is there a casting number on the hub of your wheels? It should either be on the slope of the hub or inside the hub where the spokes are peened. I would be interested in what the number is or any more detailed pictures that you have.

Do you know anybody that has those Rims? Front and back preferably. I have a 36 AR and the original brass carb for it. Just need to find the factory Round Spoke wheels. Granted they wouldve had steel on them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back