Exhaust Stud Repair

I got a couple of studs out of my A head. Center punched carefully, started with small drills and stepped up till I was close to the thread roots. Then lots of penetrant, some propane torch and an easy out. And LOTS of patience. The heat and candle never worked for me. Drilling has to be really close to centered.

I got a couple of studs out of my A head. Center punched carefully, started with small drills and stepped up till I was close to the thread roots. Then lots of penetrant, some propane torch and an easy out. And LOTS of patience. The heat and candle never worked for me. Drilling has to be really close to centered.
He must got them out .

Weld a washer to the stud then a nut to the washer. May have to do it a few times. Thats what I did to my AR and finally got it to screw out.
Been meaning to ask how you or anyone else does it with a washer and nut? I recently had 2 broken bolts with a short nub sticking out. A small 5/16" and a large 5/8". The big one only filled half a nut and by the time I got a little penetration in one spot the nut would fill up with weld. Went through 5 nuts and never got a good enough bite on the bolt to stay before breaking loose. They ended up cherry red each time. The small one was even harder. I looked at welding a washer on but realized I would gob enough weld on it that a nut would never go on it and the washer wasn't wide enough to get a pipe wrench on. That was my problem with trying the washer method. On the 5/16" bolt I got a wing nut that wasn't very thick that fit over the nub end perfectly and I could weld it solid. On the 5/8" nub I ended up welding a 3 inch long 3/8" bolt perpendicular to the nub. I could get a good solid weld on both sides of the 3/8" bolt to the 5/8" nub. A little bit of hammering and wrenching got them both out except the 3/8" bolt bent a lot in the process. Used plenty of WD during the process as well. Didn't have a candle handy or I would have used wax too. I can lay down a good bead of weld anywhere else but welding inside of a nut seems to be a little tricky. Thanks.

Been meaning to ask how you or anyone else does it with a washer and nut? I recently had 2 broken bolts with a short nub sticking out. A small 5/16" and a large 5/8". The big one only filled half a nut and by the time I got a little penetration in one spot the nut would fill up with weld. Went through 5 nuts and never got a good enough bite on the bolt to stay before breaking loose. They ended up cherry red each time. The small one was even harder. I looked at welding a washer on but realized I would gob enough weld on it that a nut would never go on it and the washer wasn't wide enough to get a pipe wrench on. That was my problem with trying the washer method. On the 5/16" bolt I got a wing nut that wasn't very thick that fit over the nub end perfectly and I could weld it solid. On the 5/8" nub I ended up welding a 3 inch long 3/8" bolt perpendicular to the nub. I could get a good solid weld on both sides of the 3/8" bolt to the 5/8" nub. A little bit of hammering and wrenching got them both out except the 3/8" bolt bent a lot in the process. Used plenty of WD during the process as well. Didn't have a candle handy or I would have used wax too. I can lay down a good bead of weld anywhere else but welding inside of a nut seems to be a little tricky. Thanks.
Ain't hard to weld in a nut. Use an aggressive rod- 6010 or 11 for me. Washer= optional. The heat gets her loose, the nut = grip. Practice welding a nut to a scrap plate. Put plate in vise, check work with a wrench. Great "trick" for a neglected auction truck diff plug also- use a lug nut, weld inside and leave as your personal "special tool". Note- MIG = for sissies here...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back