Farmall 130 wiring

I’ve got a Farmall 130 I’m trying to get started, it is still the original 6 volt system. I’m pretty sure this is positive to ground? The battery is new and reading good, when trying to start it is barely turning over and the battery cables are getting hot, not sure what is going on there? I’m also not getting spark on my plugs? Any suggestions on what to look at?

I’ve got a Farmall 130 I’m trying to get started, it is still the original 6 volt system. I’m pretty sure this is positive to ground? The battery is new and reading good, when trying to start it is barely turning over and the battery cables are getting hot, not sure what is going on there? I’m also not getting spark on my plugs? Any suggestions on what to look at?
Starter hung up or dragging on the field coils. It may only need bushings to center it back up. Pull it apart and look for places the armature is rubbing. And look the bushings over. steve

Okay, more info needed? Was it a running tractor or are you starting it for the first time after it has been setting? Can you turn the engine freely by the starting crank or fan? Have you replaced the battery cables? Cheapo “lead pencil” sized battery cables are not up to the task for a 6 volt system. They will smoke because they are to light. The copper conductor needs to be at least 3/8” diameter or 1 AWG. On the spark have you looked at the points? Sand the contacts a bit to clean them, then pull a bit of a cereal box tab through them to clear out any remaining abrasive grit. They should gap at 0.020”. Do you have you have an automotive test light. Should have power to the coil from the ignition switch. When cranking the terminal on the distributor should make a test light flash on and off when the points open and close if they are functioning correctly.

Sure sounds like auto store 12 volt cables not what is needed. That's like replacing a 1 and 1/2 inch fire hose with a length of 5/8 garden hose and wondering why you can' get a 100 gallon nozzle to do more than trickle a little stream on your foot.

Hot battery cables are either too small (designed for auto 12v systems on easy to rotate car engines. These are usually about 3/8 inch including insulation. they need to be that size of copper and 1/2 inch on the outside, both ground and to the switch/starter. If that does not do it as much as needed, rebuilding the starter as mentioned may be needed. Jim

It sounds like you have faulty or undersized battery cables. A 6v system on these tractors need at least a 1/0 battery cable. They can also look ok externally, but be corroded / poor condition in midstream. As to the lack of spark, do you still have enough voltage while starting it to fire the coil ? If the tractor has been sitting a spell, the points may also need dressing.

Sure sounds like auto store 12 volt cables not what is needed. That's like replacing a 1 and 1/2 inch fire hose with a length of 5/8 garden hose and wondering why you can' get a 100 gallon nozzle to do more than trickle a little stream on your foot.
It was the cable from the battery to the starter, thanks!

Hot battery cables are either too small (designed for auto 12v systems on easy to rotate car engines. These are usually about 3/8 inch including insulation. they need to be that size of copper and 1/2 inch on the outside, both ground and to the switch/starter. If that does not do it as much as needed, rebuilding the starter as mentioned may be needed. Jim

It sounds like you have faulty or undersized battery cables. A 6v system on these tractors need at least a 1/0 battery cable. They can also look ok externally, but be corroded / poor condition in midstream. As to the lack of spark, do you still have enough voltage while starting it to fire the coil ? If the tractor has been sitting a spell, the points may also need dressing.

Check your grounds along with cables as suggested. Had issues with the control box of a Farmall c to the chassis ( differential ,transmission) corrosion , example
voltage drop test will help locate , smoke or sparks

@Massey_165
I think this means by replacing or repairing the battery cable from the battery to the starter your tractor is running fine, is this correct? Maybe I’m an idiot but it could also be taken as informing us which cable is smoking. I take it that since you replied to nearly everyone individually that it was the “fix”, if so glad to hear it and your welcome! In my opinion one reply of thanks to everyone is sufficient, such as “Thanks everyone….” but obviously you can post however you like!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back