Farmall 300 clutch trouble

The alignment tools yesterday's Tractor Sales to align the pressure plate and disc to the pilot hole. Even Kevin the ta man was confused about the one and 3/32 alignment tool because he said all the clutch discs are one and 1/8 10 spline hubs

TThe TA

The TA seems to have smooth operation or motion when I use the lever hooked just to the TA
i just wanted to confirm it has the ta but should not have asked that stupid question as i could tell by the linkage and the input shaft, duhh.

The alignment tools yesterday's Tractor Sales to align the pressure plate and disc to the pilot hole. Even Kevin the ta man was confused about the one and 3/32 alignment tool because he said all the clutch discs are one and 1/8 10 spline hubs
yes yes, you said that so many times,... i am asking you what these measurements are or post a picture. ??? i am presuming the spline width? is that correct?

So there you go, this is the sort of thing that really get rustred’s goat, leaving out part of the story. So you bolted the pressure plate up after you rolled it together you mounted the lined disc on the input shaft. Also hung the pressure plate on the live PTO splines when sliding it together? Then during the bolt up and tightening down the pressure plate 2 of the levers were in the correct position on the face of the TO bearing and one was behind or beside the TO bearing. If so it is hard telling what happened. Leaving these kinds of things out makes diagnosis difficult. This can be done successfully, but you have to be careful and know what all can go on.
Does your 300U have a live PTO?
Yes you got it

dewy's tractor has a TA and 13fx tractor does not. how do i know? well it takes 2 different clutch shafts, as i can see in both photo's. and 2 different pres. plates also. the clutch disc will fit either way. pretty sure you damage the clutch disc before distorting the pres. plate. i have all kinds of tractors here from over fifty years of collecting them, with these TA's , from the super w6ta right up to the 660 and every model in between that has them. and yes all internationals not farmall's except one 560 farmall , but dont matter its all the same ta and clutch. plus i have changed out a lot of clutches during the years since i was 14 years old on these tractors, so i do know a little about them. dewy said he has used the same p.p. only a new disc, so i presume that means the flywheel was not touched either. dewy go to the wreckers and get the input shaft, as that's what i use as seen in the pic. post a pic of your old disc and the new one if you remove it. there was heavy duty disc's and the standard ones, but that should not matter.
Thankyou i will do that..

So there you go, this is the sort of thing that really get rustred’s goat, leaving out part of the story. So you bolted the pressure plate up after you rolled it together you mounted the lined disc on the input shaft. Also hung the pressure plate on the live PTO splines when sliding it together? Then during the bolt up and tightening down the pressure plate 2 of the levers were in the correct position on the face of the TO bearing and one was behind or beside the TO bearing. If so it is hard telling what happened. Leaving these kinds of things out makes diagnosis difficult. This can be done successfully, but you have to be careful and know what all can go on.
Does your 300U have a live PTO?
Sorry dewy, about the 300U photo. I just realized that it was 13fx that posted that picture. I had it in my mind that you had a 2nd tractor that was a 300U. :confused: I have quoting turned on, I think if I have time tomorrow I am going to turn it off and go through this thread again.

Finger was cocked
Here are the Blue ribbon clutch specs for the tractor (not the flywheel depth offset though. Manual GSS-1281-K.
20240420_072929.jpg

do as i said get a used shaft from a wrecked unit. you cant put 1 3/32 shaft into a 11/8 hole!
1-3/32 is smaller than 1-1/8 which is 1-4/32. so the fractional measurements being used are likely correct. for 1.125 shaft. I put a Blue ribbon manual derived set of clutch specs above. While you have it apart, do find the flywheel offset specification for the depth from the mounting surface of the PP, to the friction surface. It cold be wrong from previous work. Jim

yes makes perfect sense. had my brain mixed up. need some wiggle room. i also thought this was a working tractor before.

dewy's tractor has a TA and 13fx tractor does not. how do i know? well it takes 2 different clutch shafts, as i can see in both photo's. and 2 different pres. plates also. the clutch disc will fit either way. pretty sure you damage the clutch disc before distorting the pres. plate. i have all kinds of tractors here from over fifty years of collecting them, with these TA's , from the super w6ta right up to the 660 and every model in between that has them. and yes all internationals not farmall's except one 560 farmall , but dont matter its all the same ta and clutch. plus i have changed out a lot of clutches during the years since i was 14 years old on these tractors, so i do know a little about them. dewy said he has used the same p.p. only a new disc, so i presume that means the flywheel was not touched either. dewy go to the wreckers and get the input shaft, as that's what i use as seen in the pic. post a pic of your old disc and the new one if you remove it. there was heavy duty disc's and the standard ones, but that should not matter.
Oh am glad to know that I don't have a TA on the 300u, wonder what that handle in front of the torque amplifier badge is then, well whatever it is it changes my ground speed for me . Wonder if that lever I thought was for the ipto isn't actually for the ipto? Mind blown.

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_104949819.jpg
    IMG_20240420_104949819.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240420_105014428.jpg
    IMG_20240420_105014428.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Oh am glad to know that I don't have a TA on the 300u, wonder what that handle in front of the torque amplifier badge is then, well whatever it is it changes my ground speed for me . Wonder if that lever I thought was for the ipto isn't actually for the ipto? Mind blown.
13fx Oh, he’s right just ask him. I shouldn’t poke his buttons he has a lot of knowledge about these things. His infallible attitude, is a little hard to swallow at times. I believe that is an Auburn clutch in your 300U. I think as a whole the greater majority of tractors have the Rockford clutch that dewy’s tractor has. Clutches- Auburn vs Rockford

13fx Oh, he’s right just ask him. I shouldn’t poke his buttons he has a lot of knowledge about these things. His infallible attitude, is a little hard to swallow at times. I believe that is an Auburn clutch in your 300U. I think as a whole the greater majority of tractors have the Rockford clutch that dewy’s tractor has. Clutches- Auburn vs Rockford
Yeah I know better but I was in the shop and I had some bolts giving me some time of it and I felt like having just a just a little poke just a little poke. I do have to admit that there's been a time or to when I he may have gotten under my skin a bit, but just a tiny bit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back