Farmall 560 oil leak

Doing the first major farm work with my 560 since I got it last year- pulling a seed drill.
Now, I had noticed the front of the engine had a little oil on it, up above the water pump. But all this work really made it obvious.
What's common to leak oil on the front end- just the valve cover, or is it one of the front seals? It looks like it's above the water pump area. I may just need to clean and wash it down fully and run it to watch for the leak, but don't often have that kind of time!
mvphoto111335.jpg

mvphoto111336.jpg

[/img:3bf01541d0]

that is the valve cover leaking. so once you have it off be best to set the valves also. .027 hot.

(quoted from post at 07:02:31 11/06/23) that is the valve cover leaking. so once you have it off be best to set the valves also. .027 hot.

That's what I first thought, it was a little easier to isolate before it spit all over the place this weekend. I wasn't looking forward to anything too in depth.

Valve cover leak , common , every 460-560 i have either bought or worked on along with the -06's leak . The old cork gskt after time starts to get hard and not seal and the same goes for the new and improved rubber one . The PEOPLE start cranking down of the bolts and cause the valve cover to warp and this adds to the problem . SOOOOOOO while you have the valve cover off look at it real good and straighten it , Next up while off run the valve adjustment as god only knows whe the last time that was done . tractors are NOT like modern day cars and pick ups ya have to adjust the valves , but when ya do this LOOK closely at each rocker arm to see where the ware pattern is and place the feeler gauge in the ware area other wise you will have a bridging taking place and get a lousy valve set. and go over your work no less then twice . You will b amazed how much better it will run.

(quoted from post at 00:33:28 11/07/23) Valve cover leak , common , every 460-560 i have either bought or worked on along with the -06's leak . The old cork gskt after time starts to get hard and not seal and the same goes for the new and improved rubber one . The PEOPLE start cranking down of the bolts and cause the valve cover to warp and this adds to the problem . SOOOOOOO while you have the valve cover off look at it real good and straighten it , Next up while off run the valve adjustment as god only knows whe the last time that was done . tractors are NOT like modern day cars and pick ups ya have to adjust the valves , but when ya do this LOOK closely at each rocker arm to see where the ware pattern is and place the feeler gauge in the ware area other wise you will have a bridging taking place and get a lousy valve set. and go over your work no less then twice . You will b amazed how much better it will run.

Good plan. I'm a VW tech so I'm competent enough to rebuild it if need be, and I've had to do valves (using measured shims!) On my Honda scooter. Manually adjustable valves shouldn't be too hard.

Well it is a dying art . Like i said look at the end of the rocker arms to see where the ware pattern is , they all have them . valve set is .027 , ya start at TDC do six then turn 180 and do the other six 1-3-5-7 and 9 then 2-4 6-8-10-11- and 12.

these engines never did have a cork gasket. nor a rubber gasket. its like a composite gasket like the head gasket. and the valve cover will crack at the top if tightened too much, with the 4 3/8 nuts. its a pot metal cover not a metal cover like on the m's. nothing to straighten.the trick is to use the proper sealer and when hot snug them up a bit.

Ah no they did have cork . i have ground off enough of them . remember i use to jockey tractors and went to the big dealer only sales . Miss them days . To get into the one you had to be interdused by some one . and before your were issued a buyers number they called your bank to see how much cash you had on hand and you could only spend that much till ya got well known , then and only then could you buy unrestricted and when you wrote a check for more then ya had you told them to HOLD that check for X amount of days so you could cover it . at that sale they went thru 5-800 tractors in a day twice a month . there i bought a ton of tractors out of the dead row for chump change and dragged them home and brought them back to life . so yes i have seen CORK gskt. Bought a 560D sight unseen off and auction that i was not even at , i called the auctioneer on the phone one friday evening at his home and left bid's on six tractors he was selling the next day as i could only be in one place at a time and i was going to another sale to do the buying for a friend and one other person i bought for and the one friend was at another sale Buying for himself and ME . this way Donnie and i could cover two sales at once . Man it is sure fun spending someone else's money . I Also Bought for a local dealer , i got 7.5 % buyers fee on what i bought for them and another 7.5 5 after they sold it plus i got paid for the trucking . No matter what happened i was making money . I bought Olivers for them and Whites sometimes a super sharp Allis . some of the best money making cell phone calls one could ever make . get to a sale and see a sharp Oliver and make the call and ask pappy Bear how much should i go and usually i would get it for far less and this made pappy Bear super happy . They would take that auction buy and go over it and fix what ever it took to make it good and they sold as fast as i could find them . I did this from 84 till the crash of 2011 . . Now all the great sales are now long gone . And so are a lot of my OLD friends . When i went to pick that 560 D up it was several months later as we had to wait for the snow drift to melt away in the sale lot to even find the tractor as a huge snow storm moved in a couple days after the sale and what was left in the sales lot was buried under 12-15 foot snow drifts. when i did pick that tractor up lets just say i was not happy . BUT once i hot water pressured washed it and saw where all the OIL was coming from ( valve cover gskt , i was still not pleased with the amount of blow by , this sucked . So i get it in the shop and pull the valve cover with the AID of stiff bladed putty knifes and a HAMMER as yup it had CORK and lots of OLD permatex right off i found that ya could throw a cat between the rocker arms and the valve stem . So what the heck i did a valve adjustment and a new valve cover gskt and it was a night and day difference Blow by was gone with two new 6 volts it started on it;'s own in Winter setting out side and ran like a scaled dog and in four days it was sold . Other then in org paint and that was short it was a darn good tractor a 560 D with wide ft and fast hitch . Ya got to remember when they were new Cork gskt's was the in thing . so when your looking at I H parts how many R numbers are behind the part number . that shows ya how many revisions were made to that part .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back