Farmall 656 C263 camshaft/crankshaft timing marks?

Hello! I'm reassembling my Farmall C263 gas engine. I need to know how the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft gear are supposed to be set.

The camshaft has one dot on the gear. The crankshaft gear has 2 dots one place, and one on another place. (See picture).

Surprisingly, this info seems hard to find. I have the IT manual for this engine, but it only has a tiny postage stamp-sized picture showing the timing. That is almost impossible to read.

Any advice appreciated!

cvphoto160926.jpg

I've never been inside a C-263 engine or even a manual for one. But what you are showing in your picture is obviously wrong. For one thing, you don't have the camshaft dot lined up with the crankshaft double dot. Doing so isn't even possible because they both mark a space between two teeth. To line them up, one or the other needs to mark a tooth. That is what the crankshaft single dot is marking.

So line the single dot on one gear with the single dot on the other.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I noticed that too. After a couple of calls, I finally found an (retired) IH mechanic (most of the
younger ones I spoke seem clueless about these engines). He confirmed that it is dot to dot.

that is very easy to see , the correct way the marks should be. as u have it its not correct! place it dot to dot and you will see the proper gear mesh. definitly nothing hard for a qualified mechanic to see. and if these young guys are mechanic's they would know the answer also. sure dont need to be retired to see that. but i am old and retired ! lol.

To be fair, these mechanics he is asking are NOT there looking at his engine. He's asking them to work from memory over the phone.

Precious few mechanics under the age of 60 have worked on enough of these engines to know them by heart like a "retired IH mechanic" would. It's entirely possible that that 43 year old working at the CaseIH dealership has NEVER been inside one of these engines! For sure the 23 year old guy in the shop hasn't.

Long story short, don't criticize a young guy for not knowing how a 60 year old engine goes together.

IF the dots don't line up they are not right as you can see in your picture. I have not been through a 263 or many IH engines for that matter but do see that problem. There can be some others if that engine was used in a variety of different pieces of equipment with several different offerings accessory drive items like an air compressor or different alternator /generator even a water pump can be hung on the timing gears and may need a second mark usuallly it will be an injection pump for the diesel engine and some times they have a set of dots for them or other uses.

ya well my short story is if your working on an engine you should already know about timing marks, and the mesh. and it dont matter how old
or new the engine is, or the make or model. , they all have timing marks. a gear is a gear dont matter what its in, your old honda motor
cycle , or tractor no difference. so no reason to make it out like i am picking on the guy. how do i know if he is 23 or 63 ? i am stating a
fact. and if a young guy asked me and said he dont know or its his first time i would gladly explain it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back