Farmall cub clutch shaft

waugh621

Does anyone have or know of a place that would have the old style clutch shaft for a farmall cub. I have called one local salvage yard and they dont have one and the others send me to voice mail. Any help id greatly appreciated.
3549.jpeg

The shaft i need is on the right and the new style is on the left. Am i better to just rebuild the clutch and related parts to use the new style shaft.
Nate

Here is what we offer. Its hard to tell from the photo but It looks correct.

View attachment 63836
I did look at this site and you do sell the new style shaft (as far as i can tell by the pictures) i am just trying to find an obsolet shaft to ovoid a clutch job.

Does anyone have or know of a place that would have the old style clutch shaft for a farmall cub. I have called one local salvage yard and they dont have one and the others send me to voice mail. Any help id greatly appreciated.
View attachment 63835
The shaft i need is on the right and the new style is on the left. Am i better to just rebuild the clutch and related parts to use the new style shaft.
Nate
If this site does not have the one that you need, try JP Tractor Salvage or Burch Tractor Store in Burlington NC. I would be surprised if one of these places did not have one.

What is wrong with the shaft you have now?

If the pilot bearing shaft sizes are the same, and the critical lengths are the same, why would you NOT put a new clutch disc in and use the new style shaft? If you have to replace the shaft it can't be that much more work to unbolt the clutch from the flywheel and slip a new disc in. It would give you a good reason to check the clutch pressure plate and flywheel surfaces at the same time. My 2 cents. steve

What is wrong with the shaft you have now?

If the pilot bearing shaft sizes are the same, and the critical lengths are the same, why would you NOT put a new clutch disc in and use the new style shaft? If you have to replace the shaft it can't be that much more work to unbolt the clutch from the flywheel and slip a new disc in. It would give you a good reason to check the clutch pressure plate and flywheel surfaces at the same time. My 2 cents. steve
The old shaft i have had the splines for the pto ground off so i just wanted to replace it and the pto sleeve. Odd have it i will end up replacing the clutch i just didnt want to spend as much money as i already have.
Nate

View attachment 63835
Nate
I may have one. Will look in a couple hours, still sipping coffee ☕ in Alabama. Happy to ship if we have it.

Attachments

• 1000014975.jpg
    1000014975.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
View attachment 63835
Nate
I Have decided i am probably better off swaping the cub over to the new style shaft. Does anyone know what all needs changed or is it just the clutch disk.
Thanks Nate

I Have decided i am probably better off swaping the cub over to the new style shaft. Does anyone know what all needs changed or is it just the clutch disk.
Thanks Nate
Nate, if the pilot bushing end is the same, then check for the specs on the clutch splines. If they are the same dimensions, you don't even need to change the clutch disc. Providing, of course that the "steps" on the shaft are in the same place, and the shaft is the same length. Grampa Love may have that information for you. He's the Cub guru on this site, as well as others with a lot of knowledge. Steve

Nate, if the pilot bushing end is the same, then check for the specs on the clutch splines. If they are the same dimensions, you don't even need to change the clutch disc. Providing, of course that the "steps" on the shaft are in the same place, and the shaft is the same length. Grampa Love may have that information for you. He's the Cub guru on this site, as well as others with a lot of knowledge. Steve
From what I see in his photo above the clutches would need a different number of splines. The shaft on the right has wider flat spots on the top of the teeth. I’m not there to count them. I would think G Love would know. Odd part is avspare which generally shows the older parts designations say’s nothing about a supeceded PN or shafts with different spline numbers. Maybe all an updated shaft does is reduce the shaft OD at the splines, maybe this was an effort to reduce the clutch hub splines from sticking on the shaft after there was some wear. So maybe the spline count is the same, just the smaller diameter widen the top of the teeth on the shaft? All this is simply guessing.

From what I see in his photo above the clutches would need a different number of splines. The shaft on the right has wider flat spots on the top of the teeth. I’m not there to count them. I would think G Love would know. Odd part is avspare which generally shows the older parts designations say’s nothing about a supeceded PN or shafts with different spline numbers. Maybe all an updated shaft does is reduce the shaft OD at the splines, maybe this was an effort to reduce the clutch hub splines from sticking on the shaft after there was some wear. So maybe the spline count is the same, just the smaller diameter widen the top of the teeth on the shaft? All this is simply guessing.
Based on what you are saying about the pic, I'd guess you are spot on about the difference in machining. It looks to me like the same number of splines, and based on your parts search, and common sense, I'd say they are interchangeable. But that's a GPLove final determination, or a call to a good parts counter. steve

Here's what I have found out. The new input shaft will work with your existing clutch set up. If you need a new shaft Jason DuFore has it in stock ready to ship ( I actually called him for the information on it fitting)😀.

Attachments

• 1000015331.jpg
    1000015331.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
Here's what I have found out. The new input shaft will work with your existing clutch set up. If you need a new shaft Jason DuFore has it in stock ready to ship ( I actually called him for the information on it fitting)😀.
There is only one clutch kit available for a Cub or cub Lo-boy ( not number Cubs , whole different animal). Therefore the replacement shaft will work with your existing clutch . Call if you need any help or advice 😁 or to chat tractors

Attachments

• 1000014975.jpg
    1000014975.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
There is only one clutch kit available for a Cub or cub Lo-boy ( not number Cubs , whole different animal). Therefore the replacement shaft will work with your existing clutch . Call if you need any help or advice 😁 or to chat tractors
There is only one clutch avaliable fot the cubs but it is the "new style" i do not know when or why it was changed but the new and old shafts are different and not interchangable. When i get home this after noon i will post a picture of my serial number so people can double check the motor is right but by my search it is.
I may give you a call tomm evening if you have time.
Nate

There is only one clutch avaliable fot the cubs but it is the "new style" i do not know when or why it was changed but the new and old shafts are different and not interchangable. When i get home this after noon i will post a picture of my serial number so people can double check the motor is right but by my search it is.
I may give you a call tomm evening if you have time.
Nate
We have done clutch jobs on cubs as old as '48 and as new as '74 and many in between....... All new clutch kits, never had a shaft issue. I've spoken with 2 different parts guys who also wrench on Cubs, they have never heard of this issue?? 😕....

View attachment 63835
Nate
My advice at this point.... Buy a new shaft, try it. If it doesn't fit buy a clutch kit.......

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back