Farmall cub clutch shaft

We have done clutch jobs on cubs as old as '48 and as new as '74 and many in between....... All new clutch kits, never had a shaft issue. I've spoken with 2 different parts guys who also wrench on Cubs, they have never heard of this issue?? 😕....
?? That is what my local salvage yards said but when i was talking with an old times mechanic at my local cnh store he said there was a rework on them that changed the shaft. I have not had time to do my own digging but thats what i've been going on. By my understanding it sound similar to the early ih 560 or jd 8010 where problems arose early on and adjustments made. I could be wrong and there is just somthing funny with my cub. Would you have time this evening where i can give you a call and explain myself a little better?
Nate

Here is what we offer. Its hard to tell from the photo but It looks correct.

View attachment 63836 The Farmall Cub / Cub Lo-Boy and 154 Lo-Boy are NOT the same shaft.

?? That is what my local salvage yards said but when i was talking with an old times mechanic at my local cnh store he said there was a rework on them that changed the shaft. I have not had time to do my own digging but thats what i've been going on. By my understanding it sound similar to the early ih 560 or jd 8010 where problems arose early on and adjustments made. I could be wrong and there is just somthing funny with my cub. Would you have time this evening where i can give you a call and explain myself a little better?
Nate
Call anytime, if I don't answer leave a message I will call back

No. It slides in up to but not over the splines. I tried twisting and wiggeling it in there but no luck.
Any possibility they mailed you the wrong shaft? Maybe for a number cub?

Attachments

• 1000009784.jpg
    1000009784.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
I thought that too but when i looked in the stiener book and i even had the parts guy at cnh look. The shaft i have says it is not for the number cubs. I also think that is the shaft linked to me at the top of the thread
Is the clutch plate out of the tractor? Are you saying it does not fit on the shaft splines. If the clutch has not been removed are you sure the pilot bearing isn’t giving you problems? I see this as you have the tractor split at the back of the torque tube and your monkeying with the clutch way up on the other end still bolted to the engine, is this what you have going? It seems to me something is not being conveyed out to us on the forum properly.

Is the clutch plate out of the tractor? Are you saying it does not fit on the shaft splines. If the clutch has not been removed are you sure the pilot bearing isn’t giving you problems? I see this as you have the tractor split at the back of the torque tube and your monkeying with the clutch way up on the other end still bolted to the engine, is this what you have going? It seems to me something is not being conveyed out to us on the forum properly.
No the plate is not out of the tractor. The ends of the shaft where it sits in the pilot bearing are the same but the splines are different i can put the old shaft in from the end of the torque tube but even after redisassimbleing the trans to try the new shaft on its own it will not spline in.

I see three different shafts in the images above. The number of splines can be the same, but the width of the grooves and the spline shape can be different (first image) not compatible. The shift Shown from YT parts is totally different in terms of where the splines start. in relation to the pilot journal. Jim

I see three different shafts in the images above. The number of splines can be the same, but the width of the grooves and the spline shape can be different (first image) not compatible. The shift Shown from YT parts is totally different in terms of where the splines start. in relation to the pilot journal. Jim
Jim, are you sure you are looking at the right end? The transmission end has the long splines. The photo posted by kb46852 is pointing out an incorrect shaft.

Jim, are you sure you are looking at the right end? The transmission end has the long splines. The photo posted by kb46852 is pointing out an incorrect shaft.
I am only looking at the original image and I think the two shafts are not compatible into the same female spline driven disc. (opinion) Jim

There is a slim chance someone slipped a different disc in the clutch, to match the splines on the shaft they had. You did say something about the PTO splines being worked over. steve
Yes this whole ordeal is because the end of the clutch shaft where the pto slides foward to engage was ground round.
On another note I was talking with my boss earlier and he suggested having a machine shop look at it. Is there a way they can fix splines?
Nate

Yes this whole ordeal is because the end of the clutch shaft where the pto slides foward to engage was ground round.
On another note I was talking with my boss earlier and he suggested having a machine shop look at it. Is there a way they can fix splines?
Nate
Not as easily as a new disc or different shaft. If it is apart, take the disc out and fit it where you can see it better. (or if you can see it well, believe it is not going to go in there. Cutting splines is expensive, and might not be able to be done without annealing the existing splines then recutting them differently and retempering the shaft after straightening it from heat. Jim

Not as easily as a new disc or different shaft. If it is apart, take the disc out and fit it where you can see it better. (or if you can see it well, believe it is not going to go in there. Cutting splines is expensive, and might not be able to be done without annealing the existing splines then recutting them differently and retempering the shaft after straightening it from heat. Jim
I will take the tube off tommarrow and get some pictures of the shafts and disk. It sound like i am doing a clutch job anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back