Farmall M water pump leaks

mark2115

New User
Last summer my Farmall M had a radiator tank leak. I took the radiator to a repair shop and they fixed the leak. We I reinstalled the radiator and ran the tractor the water pump starting leaking where the main shaft comes out of the front. This water pump has been on for years no problem. I bought a new water pump and put it on and it started leaking in the same place. It was under warranty so they gave me another new water and put it on and shortly it started spraying coolant out the grease zerk on the side of the water pump. I just cant believe I had 3 bad water pumps? could it be the radiator is plugged partially some how from the repair of the tank building up pressure in the water pump? Any ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated. It just seems strange that all my problems started when I had the radiator tank repaired. Thanks

Last summer my Farmall M had a radiator tank leak. I took the radiator to a repair shop and they fixed the leak. We I reinstalled the radiator and ran the tractor the water pump starting leaking where the main shaft comes out of the front. This water pump has been on for years no problem. I bought a new water pump and put it on and it started leaking in the same place. It was under warranty so they gave me another new water and put it on and shortly it started spraying coolant out the grease zerk on the side of the water pump. I just cant believe I had 3 bad water pumps? could it be the radiator is plugged partially some how from the repair of the tank building up pressure in the water pump? Any ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated. It just seems strange that all my problems started when I had the radiator tank repaired. Thanks
The M water Pump.
Pressurizing with a fixed radiator can push coolant out of nearly leaking seals. The water pump seal packing is easily tightened to stop leaks. The attached YouTube video has the process on the bench, but you can do this on the tractor easily. The packing consists of graphite embedded string that is compressed against the shaft when that brass sleeve is tightened. on an old pump, the packing may have been adjusted so many times that it wont compress any more. In which case the pump should be removed and new packing (plumbing department packing string). In your case the packing is new and just needs tightening. Start the view at 10.0 minutes in for the specifics. Jim

Upvote 0
Thanks Jim for your help. I watched the video and learned some. I am wondering though with the current water pump thats on the tractor the packing around the impeller shaft is NOT leaking there but coolant is coming out of the grease zerk on the side of the water pump. Would tightening the packing around the impeller shaft fix this zerk leak or is there something else i need to do? Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks Jim for your help. I watched the video and learned some. I am wondering though with the current water pump thats on the tractor the packing around the impeller shaft is NOT leaking there but coolant is coming out of the grease zerk on the side of the water pump. Would tightening the packing around the impeller shaft fix this zerk leak or is there something else i need to do? Thanks
Yes, there should be no coolant in there. The zerk should have a check ball in the very tip of it and grease should be used on the serk. once a year, and only one or two pumps. also this time I would tighten the packing and remove the zerk, then blow out the remaining coolant and re grease the bearing with 4 pumps of grease. Jim

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back