First Tractor - Abused Case 530. Intro

Hey Fellas. First tractor here and it was in the right price range so I picked it up. Looks like every nut and bolt has been farmerized and stripped down but I'm looking to give it a good once-over and get it running for the couple projects I have around the property.

I was told it's a 1961 Case 530. Typical placard on the dash is gone so I'm left guessing with what's equipped.. here's what I've found.

#31 loader.
G159 gas engine
Dual Range on the lower right.
Shuttle on the left.
Autolite dashboard (wrecked)
Single cylinder power steering
No PTO
Eagle Hitch - disabled by lack of cylinder

I'll post some pictures to help identify what I'm talking about. Today's project was removing the filled sediment bowl, filter, and ultrasonic the carb. Tomorrow's project is to determine what's going on with the power steering.

Tractor has gear-driven power steering system with lines going to a single cylinder mounted to front axle. No visible leaks and system is full - checked reservoir. Steering has typical slop but the wheels WILL NOT TURN unless you FIGHT with the wheel or use the loader to lift the front axle off the ground and then still struggle to turn the wheel.

I pulled the fill plug on the gearbox in front of radiator and it's bone dry... filled it with gear lube but haven't tested whether that would make a significant difference anyway. Seems like that power steering system isn't doing anything. Anyone fought this bear before and able to give me a leg up in the battle? Not a professional by any stretch but I'm good at being poor.
mvphoto111161.jpg

mvphoto111162.jpg

mvphoto111163.jpg

mvphoto111164.jpg

try putting type F fluid or equal in the steering reservoir ,.. More than
likely she dripped out dry ,,. if it works ok after filling and cranking
steering lok to lok ,Avoid holding hard Lok to Lok , That is hard on seals
You might consider LUCAS power steering sealer and seal restorer ,.If the
leaks are terrible then You will need to get a repair Kit from John Saelie

the piston seal might be completely gone and oil is simply flowing hose to hose
back to resivor .spindles and king pin bearings are rusty from no grease. raise
wheels and try greasing heavy then let it down pump couple more squirts in
it,raise back up see if you can turn wheels ,if so keep working then let the grease
work in and do its job

(quoted from post at 02:19:20 10/29/23) Hey Fellas. First tractor here and it was in the right price range so I picked it up. Looks like every nut and bolt has been farmerized and stripped down but I'm looking to give it a good once-over and get it running for the couple projects I have around the property.

I was told it's a 1961 Case 530. Typical placard on the dash is gone so I'm left guessing with what's equipped.. here's what I've found.

#31 loader.
G159 gas engine
Dual Range on the lower right.
Shuttle on the left.
Autolite dashboard (wrecked)
Single cylinder power steering
No PTO
Eagle Hitch - disabled by lack of cylinder

I'll post some pictures to help identify what I'm talking about. Today's project was removing the filled sediment bowl, filter, and ultrasonic the carb. Tomorrow's project is to determine what's going on with the power steering.

Tractor has gear-driven power steering system with lines going to a single cylinder mounted to front axle. No visible leaks and system is full - checked reservoir. Steering has typical slop but the wheels WILL NOT TURN unless you FIGHT with the wheel or use the loader to lift the front axle off the ground and then still struggle to turn the wheel.

I pulled the fill plug on the gearbox in front of radiator and it's bone dry... filled it with gear lube but haven't tested whether that would make a significant difference anyway. Seems like that power steering system isn't doing anything. Anyone fought this bear before and able to give me a leg up in the battle? Not a professional by any stretch but I'm good at being poor.
mvphoto111161.jpg

mvphoto111162.jpg

mvphoto111163.jpg

mvphoto111164.jpg

Once the old girl gets a heartbeat, Raise the front end off the shop floor for testing the steering. Your power steering pump Assembly #A 36559 has a filter #A-30834, and has more than likely rotted or collapsed. To remove the pump assembly, you must remove the dist. Raising the front off the floor allows you to test out the steering system without undue load. With the new filter installed and fluid introduced into the reservoir ,turn the steering wheel while motor running to bleed out the air in the system. Keep us apprised of your progress. John Saeli has your filter in stock.315-585-9826 Chuck Machinist

You need to establish the hard steering as a mechanical issue as in the steering gear box, linkage, etc or a power steering malfunction.

Lift the tractor front off the ground, engine not running. The PS cylinder is in a hydraulic lock and as such it functions as a solid linkage just the same as a drag link or tie rod. Turn the steering wheel, if it still turns as hard as with the engine running then there is a mechanical issue that has to be addressed before you can even get to a PS test. If it still turns hard you need to grease and inspect the linkages. You may have to pull the steering cover, the steering lever may be broken or the studs binding in the cam (worn gear). The steering studs to cam lash may be too tight. There is a lash adjustment on the bottom of the bolster for lash adjustment. If you are going to pull the steering gear cover be sure to back off that lash adjustment screw first.

cvphoto165506.jpg

First of all this is power assist not power steering which means the tractor has to be traveling for it to be effective. You can get a basic idea of the PS functions as follows.

Engine running idle, wheels on the ground. If the ball stud is leaning over like this pic it is not moving the actuator laterally to stroke the spool valve. There is something stuck or binding, often rust in the actuator or control valve from rain entering the dust cover. There is a grease zerk on the bottom of the actuator, The actuator cavity should be full of grease at all times keep out moisture.

cvphoto165508.jpg

Further testing. On the steering cylinder take the drag link off the ball stud and remove the dust cover. Front wheels off the ground, engine running moderately high idle. With a flat blade screwdriver behind the ball stud seats pry the actuator to move the spool valve in each direction.

cvphoto165509.jpg

cvphoto165510.jpg

cvphoto165515.jpg

These pic may be a little different than your 530 but they are identical in function. If you pull the hoses off the steering cylinder be sure to mark them, the Case service manuals are hydraulically ignorant in many instances.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back