Ford 3000 Diesel, leaking oil & coolant

RichL

New User
Hi everyone. I have a Ford 3000 diesel that has started leaking both coolant and oil when I've started it this morning. I think the two are unrelated, but I'm inexperienced with tractors so I'm not sure what's causing this or what to do to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.
The coolant leak appears to be from the radiator petcock. It's dripping out when running, and pours out if I remove the radiator cap.
The oil leak drips every second or two when the engine is running.
I've attached photos to show the locations.
The tractor has been stood for a few days, but these leaks weren't happening last time it ran a few days ago. Any help would be appreciated!

mvphoto110734.jpg

mvphoto110735.jpg

[/img:58b45c0b4f]

Have you tried turning the radiator petcock to tighten it? If that doesn't help, then it needs to be replaced. That will require draining the radiator.

The "oil" leak is where the lines connect to the hydraulic pump. The pressure line should have a compression fitting, and tightening that might help, but the compression fitting itself might need to be replaced. The suction line just has an o-ring as it is never under pressure, only suction, but the o-ring should probably be replaced at the same time that you deal with the compression fitting on the pressure line.

That is some very fresh paint. You either just bought it or just reassembled it?
As Sean said and you should be good on these two minor issues.

Thanks Sean & Tom for your help. You're right about the radiator drain, it was open not closed (I'm an idiot...)
I see where the compression fitting is that needs tightening now (at least I'll try that first and if it doesn't work I'll take it off to replace the o ring). That's going to be difficult to get a wrench to!
It's a new tractor to me, and my first one, so I appreciate your simple explanation!

This post was edited by RichL on 10/12/2023 at 07:29 am.

There are 2 pieces of tinwork that can be easily removed to get at the compression nut. It takes a Phillips screwdriver.

I took the panel off, but the proximity of the fuel tank above doesn't let me get anything in there, steering blocking it to the right and the other pipe attached to the pump blocking to the left. I think I need to try to get a short handled wrench or something angled to fit under the fuel tank.

And here are some photos :)

mvphoto110761.jpg

mvphoto110762.jpg

I've learnt something today! Never seen one of those before. I'm going to add one to my collection of tools now. Thank you for your help

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back