Ford 3000 purchase (possibly)

Gregster

New User
I am interested in a Ford 3000 for sale. Mainly used for snow removal. I have ran a Ford 8n for 10 years and tired of using a clutch all the time. Age is catching up with me. It appears to be in good shape. But I don't understand the location of the hydraulic lines going to the underside of the seat. Is this a poor fabrication or is this original???
1000001063.jpg

From all I have read and experienced, the Select-o-Speed transmissions are great when they are working properly, but at this point they are best left to those who have machine tools and are willing and able to refurbish worn parts and fabricate replacement parts from scratch given the lack of available OEM parts.

From all I have read and experienced, the Select-o-Speed transmissions are great when they are working properly, but at this point they are best left to those who have machine tools and are willing and able to refurbish worn parts and fabricate replacement parts from scratch given the lack of available OEM parts.
If it is currently working properly I would have no fear.

If it is currently working properly I would have no fear.
Ok then something goes wrong with it, then what? I see post all the time on YT and other sites about problems with those transmissions. You can't find parts and they are not simple to work on. I presently have 3 8spd Fords. Two 3000's and one 5000's. I know the machines well and they're not hard to work on plus I can find virtually any part for them. No way would I buy a Select-O-Speed to work even if was operating perfectly. I don't want the headache when it develops problems and it will sooner or later. I know there are folks out there that have them or a few of them and they now the transmission's well are capable of working on them or fabricating parts for them and that's great but they are not a good choice for everyone. That's why I steer people away from them unless they are one of the rare Select-O-Speed gurus. Plus when you go to resale it good luck and the value is very low.

Those hydraulic lines that you asked about appear to be used to power the loader from the 3 point lift hydraulics. The pictures are a bit blurry, but it appears to have a dual spool remote valve under the seat, which was usually used to power rear remote hydraulics ports, but can be used to power anything. There does not appear to be a separate control valve for the loader itself so you will be reaching around between your legs every time that you want to raise or lower the loader arms or to curl or dump the bucket. I personally would rather have a loader control valve up where I can see and reach it easily while driving the tractor into the snow or dirt, or whatever I am trying to scoop up. Since it also comes with that trailer, the price might be reasonable depending on the condition of the trailer, but only if you feel comfortable with the S-O-S and the location of the loader controls. Another point to mention is that most loaders for that tractor used a separate hydraulic pump and reservoir rather than the 3 point lift pump and reservoir, mostly for the higher flow rate which will allow the loader to operate more quickly. That setup should be fast enough for home owner use for occasional snow clearing or moving dirt, but if you have a need to use the loader a lot, you will find that you will want something faster.

I think a select-o-speed would be nice to have as a spare tractor that if it quit I wouldn't be without a tractor. I have a 2600 with a quick disconnect loader, I don't want or need a tractor with a loader I can't take off.

Mine is set up like that, if you zoom in close you can see the lines. I don’t know any different, and being I’m going on 36 this year, it doesn’t bother me to reach down and fiddle the levers.

Top lever does the bucket curl, bottom lever operates the arms up/down.
IMG_4416.jpeg

Ok then something goes wrong with it, then what? I see post all the time on YT and other sites about problems with those transmissions. You can't find parts and they are not simple to work on. I presently have 3 8spd Fords. Two 3000's and one 5000's. I know the machines well and they're not hard to work on plus I can find virtually any part for them. No way would I buy a Select-O-Speed to work even if was operating perfectly. I don't want the headache when it develops problems and it will sooner or later. I know there are folks out there that have them or a few of them and they now the transmission's well are capable of working on them or fabricating parts for them and that's great but they are not a good choice for everyone. That's why I steer people away from them unless they are one of the rare Select-O-Speed gurus. Plus when you go to resale it good luck and the value is very low.

Gregster wants to move some snow with it, not farm 160 acres. Gregster is tired of operating a clutch. If it is operating properly, it will likely outlive him. As a buyer, I'd for sure use your points to beat on the price, but at this price level, the risk/reward is favorable. If the worst happens, you sell it for parts for 50% of what you paid for it and get something else.

Gregster wants to move some snow with it, not farm 160 acres. Gregster is tired of operating a clutch. If it is operating properly, it will likely outlive him. As a buyer, I'd for sure use your points to beat on the price, but at this price level, the risk/reward is favorable. If the worst happens, you sell it for parts for 50% of what you paid for it and get something else.
I understand what you are saying. I also understand what he wants to use it for. It's and old tractor with a problematic transmission. I just would not be willing to take that chance. The people that know me and know that I have old Fords often ask me about the different models and from time to time people ask me the Select-O-Speed transmission. I just tell them the issues they are known for the parts issues and knowing how to work on them. They are fine for people that know all about them and probably have collected a few parts tractors. Otherwise I think it's a terrible decision to buy one. I don't care how good it works when you first get it. Anything mechanical has no set time to break.

With an old tractor you are always on the verge of having one part or another fail.
This is true with all old machinery.
Usually, a guy who has some basic tools and an interest in wrenching can fix whatever goes wrong. If you can get the parts.
Clutches, starters, pistons, gaskets, seals, bearings and other wear parts are readily available for those old Fords.
But, go try to find a transmission input shaft - a common failure item - for a Select O Speed . You likely Wont find one. Not new, not used, not a rebuildable one.
So there you are.
How many of those SOS transmissions have we seen here over the years with the input shaft that has gone kaput? I say we have seen plenty.
The tractor above might give good service for years and years. It also might not.
If I were Gregster I would not pay even half the price the seller is asking.
I would pay that much if it was a 4, 6 or 8 speed crash box but no way would I pay that for an SOS.

With an old tractor you are always on the verge of having one part or another fail.
This is true with all old machinery.
Usually, a guy who has some basic tools and an interest in wrenching can fix whatever goes wrong. If you can get the parts.
Clutches, starters, pistons, gaskets, seals, bearings and other wear parts are readily available for those old Fords.
But, go try to find a transmission input shaft - a common failure item - for a Select O Speed . You likely Wont find one. Not new, not used, not a rebuildable one.
So there you are.
How many of those SOS transmissions have we seen here over the years with the input shaft that has gone kaput? I say we have seen plenty.
The tractor above might give good service for years and years. It also might not.
If I were Gregster I would not pay even half the price the seller is asking.
I would pay that much if it was a 4, 6 or 8 speed crash box but no way would I pay that for an SOS.
Bingo!!!!

OK - will you suggest to Gregster what tractor he should buy that doesn't have a clutch? Refer to the opening post.
It is true that an S-O-S doesn't have a clutch, but it does have an inching pedal that you are required to use to engage the transmission when you start off and disengage the transmission when you stop, so I'm not sure if the S-O-S would really meet his needs since he is "tired of using the clutch all of the time". I would recommend something a bit newer that has a hydrostatic transmission.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back