Ford 4000 8 speed transmission problems

Rob MF150

New User
A couple of days ago I was bush hogging the levy of our pond. I backed up the slope in reverse low range. When I reached the top I pressed the clutch in and applied the brakes and let the tractor roll slowly back down the slope, approx. 30 feet. After the tractor came to a stop I released the clutch and the tractor did not move. The hi/low shifter feels like it will go into high and neutral but not into low. Anyways, no matter where I move the hi/low lever the tractor will not move. This is a 1971 Ford 4000 diesel with a 8 speed transmission. Does anyone have any info as to what the problem might be? Thanks !!!

I'm not going to speculate, but I can tell you what I'd do. I'd remove the shift cover and take a peek inside. Try to move the
high-low shift rail with your hands. Be sure to have the drivetrain unloaded when you do that by jacking up one rear tire.
Maybe even rock the tire back and forth while you move the rail back and forth.

Thanks Bern ... I am somewhat familiar with the 6 and 8 speed Massey Ferguson trans, but I have never had the top plate off of a 1000 series Ford trans before. I did manage to find a couple of pics that might help me identify exactly what I am looking at after I remove the top plate. If I find anything suspicious I'll post it here. Thanks again !!!

Thanks Fritz ... I will check the clutch pedal to see if the pressure feels right. If the lining came off the clutch I would think that the pedal would feel spongy. Thanks again !!!

Did you shift the transmission to neutral when you let it roll back down the hill
Did either shifter pop out of gear while it was rolling
Does the main shifter work in all gears
We re you trying to shift the high/ low with the main in gear
With engine running and clutch pedal up do the gears grind when you try to move the high/low shifter

Destroked 450 ... As I rolled forward back down the hill very slowly using the brakes
the transmission was still in low range reverse gear. I did not notice either shifter
pop out of gear. The 1-4 shifter moves freely through the gears, including reverse. The
hi/low shifter does not feel right. It feels like it will go into high and neutral but
not into low. No grinding of the gears when moving either lever with the clutch engaged
or disengaged. When I pulled the tractor back to the barn it basically freewheels like
the trans is stuck in neutral.
I have not pulled the top plate off of the transmission yet. After talking to a New
Holland Service Tech this afternoon, I suspect I will find a broken shift rail when I do
remove the top plate. I will post my finding here. Thanks Destroked !!!

I see two possibilities... either the clutch delaminated/exploded or something broke in the transmission. I'd probably lean more
towards the clutch. However, in the interest of covering your bases... I'd probably pull the transmission cover. As suggested you
can see if you can move the rails by hand and effect a change. Alternatively, you could start the engine and see if anything
turns. If you release the clutch and nothing is moving in the crash box.... something is wrong in the clutch/drive line. Then you
get to do the split...

Rod

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back