Ford 420 industrial backhoe timing problem.

kz1000

Hi folks!
I picked up an old 420 diesel that runs like crap, no power and really hard to start. I had the injector pump rebuilt, new injectors and no change. I pulled the injector pump cover and #1 injector, put it on tdc compression stroke and the 3 is not lining up with the dotted tooth, it is off one tooth. I can not get the gear to jump a tooth even with the pump backed out. My question is can it be done or do I have to pull off the whole front cover. I hope that someone can save me that pain, has a loader and really a chore. Thanks!

Hi folks!
I picked up an old 420 diesel that runs like crap, no power and really hard to start. I had the injector pump rebuilt, new injectors and no change. I pulled the injector pump cover and #1 injector, put it on tdc compression stroke and the 3 is not lining up with the dotted tooth, it is off one tooth. I can not get the gear to jump a tooth even with the pump backed out. My question is can it be done or do I have to pull off the whole front cover. I hope that someone can save me that pain, has a loader and really a chore. Thanks!
Don't worry about the tooth not lining up, that is completely normal. Do not even think about pulling the front cover, it will be a complete waste of time. The timing gears are known as a hunting gearset, which means the marks will come in and out of alignment. Again, no biggie.

How is your compression? I would check that. If the compression is OK, try advancing the pump timing a notch or two and see if that makes any difference in the way it runs.

Wow, thanks for the information. Everything says that it is so critical in the books, I would think a tooth off would be equal to 12 degrees of timing. If the tooth isn't that important how do you determine when you are timed correct?

Wow, thanks for the information. Everything says that it is so critical in the books, I would think a tooth off would be equal to 12 degrees of timing. If the tooth isn't that important how do you determine when you are timed correct?
Bern is the expert. What he tells you is correct. Virtually every other week a new poster has a very common problem that they are sure from their research is a timing problem, which is very uncommon. Your 420 simply needs its compression restored. You really should do a complete engine overhaul, but you don't really have to. You can just remove the oil pan and head and remove the pistons and rods and install new rings. This will probably make the tractor serviceable for you for the rest of your life. While you are "in there" it will be prudent to check the crankshaft rod bearing clearance, and you could take the head to a machine shop and get it checked and needed work done on it.

Thanks, I have pulled my share of oil pans lol. The tractor only shows 4300 hours and looks to be the original meter, that makes me wonder. I will do a compression test on it. When I got it they had the pump cranked all the way to one end of the timing scale and the pump was leaking so wouldn't start. That is why I have my concerns. Is there a way to pull the pump side cover and make sure that the pump is in time with the 4 degrees before tdc that is stamped in the pump?

Ok!--- I bow to the people that said I was stupid for thinking it was timing. I changed the fuel injectors and in the process found that a brand new fuel line was sucking air at the crimp. I thank you for your input, it's now a runner.

Ok!--- I bow to the people that said I was stupid for thinking it was timing. I changed the fuel injectors and in the process found that a brand new fuel line was sucking air at the crimp. I thank you for your input, it's now a runner.
Congratulations! and thanks for posting back. You are certainly not stupid because you apparently stepped back and took another look at the simple more likely possibilities.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back