Ford 555 leaking out of the side of the trans

MiMisfit

New User
I have a early 70s Ford 555. I love the machine as it has been really good to me. I am leaking fluid out the passenger side where it appears the brake cross shaft goes through the case. Anyone ever change these seals?. Will the shaft just slide out if I disassemble the drivers side? Any and all experienced help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230916_173105.jpg
    20230916_173105.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 53
You must have loaded the wrong photo. If you are talking about the brake linkage where it enters the axle then it's a breeze to change out that seal. Lift the machine with your stabilizer on that side so the rear axle oil flows away from the seal. Take apart the linkage to the pedal, unscrew the yoke and remove the seal off the rod sticking out of the trumpet.

Whoops! I reread your post and see now that it is referring to the cross shaft and not the brake rod seal. My apologies to all.

Whoops! I reread your post and see now that it is referring to the cross shaft and not the brake rod seal. My apologies to all.
Yes the cross shaft is what I'm asking about. Didn't take much searching on here to find help with the linkage seal but I can not seem to find info on the cross shaft seal anywhere

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back