Ford 5600 Injection Pump?

All - I've got a 5600 that got fungus in the gas last year. I've pulled the fuel filter in the tank, scrubbed the inside of the tank, rinsed the tank, replace the inline canister filter (all of these steps have been done three times. The last time there was very little crap on the tank filter).

After it died today, I checked and have really good flow into the canister filter, and also really good flow into the injection pump.

The engine will start immediately and I can run it for 30-60 minutes, then it will abruptly die, and won't restart. If I let it sit for 20 minutes, or crack the injectors and let it crank for a while (very little dripping coming out of the injectors), then it will restart and run fine for another 30-60 minutes.

All new fuel. I put Bio Kleen in the tank last fall so it had all winter to kill that crap. All of my tanks of fuel have Bio Kleen in them as well.

Any ideas? Could this be a bad injection pump starting to fail? Hard to believe this is still fungus after all the cleaning I've done. One other note. When it was running today, it revved up a couple times on its own, no change to the throttle controls. This was a minute or two before it died.....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• injection_pump.JPG
    injection_pump.JPG
    501.8 KB · Views: 16
All - I've got a 5600 that got fungus in the gas last year. I've pulled the fuel filter in the tank, scrubbed the inside of the tank, rinsed the tank, replace the inline canister filter (all of these steps have been done three times. The last time there was very little crap on the tank filter).

After it died today, I checked and have really good flow into the canister filter, and also really good flow into the injection pump.

The engine will start immediately and I can run it for 30-60 minutes, then it will abruptly die, and won't restart. If I let it sit for 20 minutes, or crack the injectors and let it crank for a while (very little dripping coming out of the injectors), then it will restart and run fine for another 30-60 minutes.

All new fuel. I put Bio Kleen in the tank last fall so it had all winter to kill that crap. All of my tanks of fuel have Bio Kleen in them as well.

Any ideas? Could this be a bad injection pump starting to fail? Hard to believe this is still fungus after all the cleaning I've done. One other note. When it was running today, it revved up a couple times on its own, no change to the throttle controls. This was a minute or two before it died.....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reving up (briefly) on it's own sounds like an air leak.

Have you cleaned the fuel screen in the back of the inj pump
I’ve had to clean the one in our 5600 twice
IMG_2507.jpeg
IMG_2505.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Thanks Destroked! Didn't know that even existed! Will definitely check it. Based on the schematic you provided (Thank you!) Do you know if that filter can be accessed by removing just the top large nut on the body, or do you have to also remove all four screws on the face?

It can be accessed thru that but but it’s difficult to get all the components out and back in that way
First time I did it I dropped part # 9 it the hay field and never saw it again
I remove the 4 5/16 screws and take the assembly to a bench or truck tail gate to keep from loosing anything
I reuse the square shouldered o-ring that seals the rear assembly to the transfer pump in the back of the pump
It’s a lot easier to do on a 4 cylinder than my 3 cylinder 4000 with the starter about 1/2” from the pump
I use carb cleaner or brake clean to clean the screen, it’s like a black film that coats the screen
This is after I cleaned it

IMG_2506.jpeg

Excellent! I appreciate the guidance!!! I'll make sure to put my part catcher (A piece of old shag carpet) under the tractor before I start.

Thanks!

"revving up a couple times on its own is normal for when running out of fuel, which kind of negates "really good flow into the canister filter, and also really good flow into the injection pump."

Not if that final screen is stopped up
You’ll have good flow all the way to the pump, but when you loosen the pump bleed and crank the engine you’ll have minimal flow from the bleeder screw

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back