Ford 9n oil in coolant

I agree that it is most likely just below the dip stick or the motor would have self destructed. I suspect most is in the pan. To answer your question: You may have a cracked block or you could have a bad head gasket. Needs investigation. As suggested, pull the drain plug and see how much oil is actually in the pan.

Well David, you can't say there weren't some good questions asked of you that might have clarified this whole issue. Surely by this time you have some answers so that you can move onto the next step. At least bring us up to date on where you are with it all. I still fear that you added oil into the radiator .... maybe that will prompt an answer from you :)

Walston, not really much of a chance of a head gasket on a FLAT head passing oil to the radiator. No rocker shaft to oil, so no oil passing through the gasket area. Cracked block, ya long shot. I would put my money on Sherlock above.

Walston, not really much of a chance of a head gasket on a FLAT head passing oil to the radiator. No rocker shaft to oil, so no oil passing through the gasket area. Cracked block, ya long shot. I would put my money on Sherlock above.
it can get there , just as Hobo said above. Got one doing that right now,

Yum on a Flathead N its almost a slam dunk its combustion byproducts leaking by a old tired head gasket. It will be black, thick and sticky. You can waist yer time diagnosing it the outcome will be the same. Torque it down and move on are replace the gasket owners call YMMV.

Attachments

• OIL IN COOLANT.JPG
    OIL IN COOLANT.JPG
    380 KB · Views: 16
it can get there , just as Hobo said above. Got one doing that right now,
You are saying oil can get in the water through the head gasket? Is there an oil passage that is blocked by the head gasket? Or cracking in the block, please help me increase my knowledge on these creatures. Maybe I did misunderstand, some how I got the idea that he was talking multiple quarts of oil in the coolant.

Last edited:
You are saying oil can get in the water through the head gasket? Is there an oil passage that is blocked by the head gasket? Or cracking in the block, please help me increase my knowledge on these creatures. Maybe I did misunderstand, some how I got the idea that he was talking multiple quarts of oil in the coolant.
READ Hobo's posts....they clearly explain it !

correct me if I'm wrong but you don't have an oil cooler so the usual cause of that isn't there generally water in the oil is head gasket. Oil in the water oil cooler. Kinda has to be what they describe above are you 100 percent sure that thing is bone dry of engine oil? even a hole in the block coolant goes in the oil not vice versa. Im more concerned by the fact it quit running...
Crazy Horse I saw that on a TerraGator once. Radiator and steering system tank were both in spots you would consider a possible coolant reservoir. The customer called up asked why he didn't see any coolant on the dipstick yet after adding 4 gallons on the phone...are you filling the reservoir up front? yep thought so because you said dipstick. That's the steering. Well that's not what I did!!! expanded metal grate on top of reservoir slams can hear it over the phone and then he lied about it to his boss. Then I took a sample in that winter and the oil lab and big wig bosses were like how did ethylene glycol get in the steering system...well ya seeeee. To this day every winter the steering tank samples high rates of ethylene glycol its been dumped like 4 times. Doesn't hurt anything its just a reminder every year of a fun day had by all.

On most Equitment we normally never see a head gasket fail at a slow rate so we have a machine maybe 50 years old where the firing ring of the gasket is letting a little combustion past it at the highest peak of the event. Some may be oil are raw fuel most is.

We will now look at six products of combustion Its some nasty stuff.

1. Carbon Dioxide
  2. Carbon Monoxide
  3. Sulfur Dioxide
  4. Nitrogen Oxides
  5. Lead
  6. Particulate Matter
Its some nasty stuff, I made a post one time on a 37 ford V8 to prove this. All in said and done I torqued the gasket the issue resolved itself. That did not satisfy me I removed the heads the gasket was intact and looked good. What you believe you believe I would wager this is the issue and a pattern on this engine its the nature of the beast.

I had the same issue Hobo describes with my 2N. Engine was tired and had blow by and oil definitely got in the coolant. Replaced the head gasket and it helped until I rebuilt it completely.

I had the same issue Hobo describes with my 2N. Engine was tired and had blow by and oil definitely got in the coolant. Replaced the head gasket and it helped until I rebuilt it completely.
These points are all well taken. Now if he just comes back and tells us how much measured volume of oil was in the pan and how much was in or on top of the coolant. I have heard using Cascade or some other dishwasher soap that foams less is a good thing to use to clean oil out of a cooling system.

I have a ford 9n that has oil in the coolant and had no oil in the oil pan and I know I check the oil before am I right thinking I have a Crack in the block?

Thanks david
What does the dipstick show? Crankcase completely empty??? Checking the right dipstick? What does Oil Pressure Gauge show at engine start up? Oil in coolant not uncommon. Water in oil a bigger concern. Can try removing gunk from head and engine and observe of any cracks are visible. Yes? Plan on an engine rebuild. Pull block, take to a reliable shop, and have them boil block and head, inspect them further and assess.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• NFORD052.jpg
    NFORD052.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 11
I thought I had oil in the coolant until I found the rusted frost plug behind the starter. The PO dumped so much stop leak into the engine that slime was looking like oil. I rebuilt the engine and apparently didn’t get it all flushed out. Don’t think this is the case here but it is a possibility for others looking at this thread later on.

I think he inquired of Sherlock anyway and is too embarrassed to reply back with the true story. One thing about it, if the engine bearings were not hurt by lack of oil the impending repair will be fairly budget friendly. I hope for nothing more than for him and his tractor to come through it all unscathed.

I think he inquired of Sherlock anyway and is too embarrassed to reply back with the true story. One thing about it, if the engine bearings were not hurt by lack of oil the impending repair will be fairly budget friendly. I hope for nothing more than for him and his tractor to come through it all unscathed.
He might be back under a new user name UR. I have considered that myself but somehow getting rid of the Crazy part would seem somewhat crazy.

Hi David, welcome to the forum. Have you pulled and spark plugs to see what they look like? Are they clean or oil soaked?
When you changed the oil, how many quarts did you put in?

Maybe you added your oil to the cooling system? Impossible you say? OK, maybe so .... but what you describe happening seems almost as impossible.
I know someone new to tractors who made that mistake. It was a good time to change the coolant anyway. It is hard to be polite sometimes.

I have a ford 9n that has oil in the coolant and had no oil in the oil pan and I know I check the oil before am I right thinking I have a Crack in the block?

Thanks david
Again I ask, how did you check the crankcase for oil??? Did you look at your dipstick first? Did you pour oil in the wrong place??? Engine Oil is poured down the Breather Tube on the LH side of engine near the Oil Canister. HYD/TRANS OIL is poured from the big hex plug on the top cover by the shifter lever. Engine Oil dipstick is on the LH side of block. COOLANT is filled via the filler neck on the radiator. Something ain't right with what you are telling us.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• NFORD028.jpg
    NFORD028.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 9
  • NFORD052.jpg
    NFORD052.jpg
    803.4 KB · Views: 9
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 11.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 11.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 12.jpeg
    I & T FO-4 MANUAL - PG 12.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
As some the guys have stated----the likely way of coolant contamination with oil is by-product or someone added some to the coolant, usually by accident. There is no direct contact with oil or oil pressure to the head of a 2N-8N-9N.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back