Front axle bushings MF 245. 2wd

Hello friends,

My MF245 2wd diesel seems to have popped out the bushing on its front axle pin.

I assume I need to pull the pin and replace both bushings.

Has anyone done this job? How big a chore is it? Any tricks or things to watch out for?

This tractor has a loader, but it does not seem to be in the way of the work needed.

Thanks much,
Eric
cvphoto163879.jpg

cvphoto163880.jpg

I had to replace the entire bolster(axle support) many years ago on a diesel 245 without a loader. It was fairly straightforward but you have to ensure the rest of the tractor is well cribbed and blocked so it doesn't move when you begin work on it. Of course a repair manual would have helped but I had to do it by feel;-( I'm pretty sure the hood has to be unbolted and the side panels removed, both radiator hoses taken off, maybe the radiator, and worse, the steering rod removed. If you have a front hydraulic pump then more stuff to come off. IF I remember correctly the axle pin comes out the front too? I've never been a fan of loaders on those tractors but it is what it is. Keep it WELL greased and it should be okay. Good Luck, I hope it works out well for you.

Looks like that bushing is worn clear through. The big cast bolster may also be worn out and won't hold a new bushing. Sorry, the extra one I had a couple of years ago went to scrap. The whole front radiator support and grill is attached to the bolster, but may not be in the way. Pulling the pivot pin out the front may not be any fun. I used a heavy bolt through the hollow pivot pin, and a herky washer on the end of the bolt, and a spacer on the other end to pull the pin. Just remember to take out the wedge cross pin that's inserted into the axle, that wedges the pivot pin in place (I can't tell in your photos, you may not have the wedge pin). Pull the nut on the bottom of that pin, then drive it up and out. Or vice versa. Good luck. Steve

If you have a machine shop close by they could rebore, and sleeve the front axle support so it can accept a new bushing (when the bushing is worn that bad it egg shapes the bore). On my MF 2135 I rebored, and sleeved the front axle support because it was wore out the same as yours.
mvphoto110259.jpg

Thank you all. I remain so grateful for this forum, both for the information and for the good wishes.

I gather that:
a) this is a bit of a job.
b) there is a chance of the casting being damaged
c) grease don't cost money - grease SAVES money

I called my friend at the machine shop and he says if needed, he can rebore and sleeve the casting. He asked if the axle itself was OK.

I don't have it apart yet, so I don't know, but I thought I'd ask if you all have any experience with damage to the axle itself in this situation. If damaged, what is the repair for the axle? Add weld and rebore?

Thanks again,
Eric

The axle should be ok, the pivot pin in the axle maybe worn also so that may need to be replaced also (the pivot pin is retained in the axle by a stay pin).

Eric, you might be yards ahead just unbolting the whole front end from the engine. That is IF the front end loader gives you enough room. It will come apart as one piece, including the axle, bolster, radiator and all the support structure up front. If I remember correctly, there's only 4 bolts holding it to the front of the engine. Then you'd have plenty of room to work the pin out, and examine the bolster. If the bolster is as worn as I suspect, this is the first step to machining it out for sleeves. Here's a pic of what it looks like apart.
cvphoto163943.jpg

Thanks to you all. I will take off the whole front of the tractor - thanks stevieb49829 for the suggestion. Very helpful. And I will have to crib up the tractor as you mention MF#1.

Question is under what part can I crib the tractor?

Can I just block up under any of the heavy cast parts - oil pan, etc? Or are some of those parts not able to hold the weight?

Thanks in advance - want to do this right, don't want to hurt the tractor or myself....

Eric

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back