Gehl Film Clips From 1955 In Color

Absent Minded Farmer

First off.... this is not my transfer. Not sure who did it either. It is on a CD from the Gehl Co.

Hopefully, a good many of you find this one enjoyable. There are a few spots where the image turned out dark & almost nonexistent. Have no idea what happened there & should figure it out when it comes to the reel itself. The rest of the color footage is great! There's also a lot of brand name variety in this one. There's a Super MTA charging down a hill, filling a truck with a 20-C field harvester. At the end, you get to see the Gehl boys at the Papec tent, kicking the tires & giving their choppers the once over. That's part of a series of clips from a farm show.... somewhere. There's also a scene with a steamer on the belt pulling a silo filler. It doesn't quite look like a Gehl blower, nor the wagon being unloaded. Not sure why it's in there, but it's neat.

I'll stop typing & let you enjoy.

Mike

First off.... this is not my transfer. Not sure who did it either. It is on a CD from the Gehl Co.

Hopefully, a good many of you find this one enjoyable. There are a few spots where the image turned out dark & almost nonexistent. Have no idea what happened there & should figure it out when it comes to the reel itself. The rest of the color footage is great! There's also a lot of brand name variety in this one. There's a Super MTA charging down a hill, filling a truck with a 20-C field harvester. At the end, you get to see the Gehl boys at the Papec tent, kicking the tires & giving their choppers the once over. That's part of a series of clips from a farm show.... somewhere. There's also a scene with a steamer on the belt pulling a silo filler. It doesn't quite look like a Gehl blower, nor the wagon being unloaded. Not sure why it's in there, but it's neat.

Mike

Very nice. I love the hockey rink organ music. It was interesting to see the Baker Engine on the silo filler. I also noticed the interesting skewed joints of the stave silo and the shiny skin of the steel silo. The 8mm field footage brings back memories and then that Papec snuck in there for good measure.

Very nice. I love the hockey rink organ music. It was interesting to see the Baker Engine on the silo filler. I also noticed the interesting skewed joints of the stave silo and the shiny skin of the steel silo. The 8mm field footage brings back memories and then that Papec snuck in there for good measure.
Not sure that its a Baker. Bakers have a star on the smoke box door. This has a name across the middle.

IMG_20240426_191641.jpg

IMG_20240426_191533.jpg

That's not to say the door wasn't changed out for whatever was available, either.

Mike

Not sure that its a Baker. Bakers have a star on the smoke box door. This has a name across the middle.

View attachment 68672

View attachment 68673

That's not to say the door wasn't changed out for whatever was available, either.

Mike
You know I can’t argue with you. The flat strap spokes a bit amiss as well. Second thought was to look at an Eclipse/ Peerless but I’m not convinced of that either.

Part two you say? Nice! Looking forward to it.
Glad you enjoyed! There will be a part two & three. Wanted to post it as a full length feature, but the YT stat's tell me that most people watch about 8 - 9 minutes of any of my long videos & that's it. So, these are more bite sized. Also easier to track music to, quicker to convert, upload etc.

Mike

Glad you enjoyed! There will be a part two & three. Wanted to post it as a full length feature, but the YT stat's tell me that most people watch about 8 - 9 minutes of any of my long videos & that's it. So, these are more bite sized. Also easier to track music to, quicker to convert, upload etc.

Mike
Can you dress it with some good Wisconsin polka like Vern or Steve Meisner? That might sooth the hearts of the viewership. Steve and Vern aren’t related to Randy Meisner but I bet their music is easier to get then Randy’s. Hopefully you won’t get chided like before if you include this random suggestion.

May be a Baker with Avery wheels and a replacement smoke box door.

Mike

I enjoyed the Polka music in the background, while watching the video. Recognized the one polka as the “ Too Fat Polka”, one of my favourites

I enjoyed the Polka music in the background, while watching the video. Recognized the one polka as the “ Too Fat Polka”, one of my favourites
Glad you enjoyed!

It's a favorite of mine too. There's quite a few versions on my computer. Some vocal, some instrumental & from several different countries. Had no idea how popular that song was until doing some searching.

Mike

Can you dress it with some good Wisconsin polka like Vern or Steve Meisner? That might sooth the hearts of the viewership. Steve and Vern aren’t related to Randy Meisner but I bet their music is easier to get then Randy’s. Hopefully you won’t get chided like before if you include this random suggestion.
I'll see what can be done. Have to get past the copyright na2is, which is not always an easy feat.

Mike

Chances of it being a Farquhar are better than an Avery retrofit with a stove door hung on. Justify the 6 spoke Avery premise.
I’m not a kettle aficionado but with some help of a kettle connoisseur we can only guess that it might be a Kelly. Very few kettles had 12 flat spoke drivers and all seem to be in the Port Huron/ Springfield/ Kelly lineage.

The point is focus should be on the gem of Gehl history AMF put forth.

What are they direct cut chopping to put in the bunk silo ? Seems to be very tall for alfalfa
and would be awful wet if it was. Open platforms and so many places on equipment today that
are buried under shields, it's a wonder anyone survived. LOL

What are they direct cut chopping to put in the bunk silo ? Seems to be very tall for alfalfa
and would be awful wet if it was. Open platforms and so many places on equipment today that
Most of the equipment we started farming was like this, many exposed belts and shafts and chains. When I was a kid I knew many older farmers that were missing fingers, even a couple guys missing an arm. But don’t think that because there are shields on modern equipment that this doesn’t still occur. I know two men that lost an arm during the past few years, one to a round baler, another to a pto shaft. One other unfortunate young man I know lost both arms when his coveralls became entangled in a silo unloader. Equipment demands respect, and is uncaring of consequence that can befall the careless.

Probably green chopping a grass mix. Seen timothy & orchard grass heads in a couple shots.

I find more shielding causes complacency in many, but not all, cases. It's also a good way to forget about something until it breaks.

Mike

I thought the direct cut chopping with 2 machines, near the silage bunk, looked like oats headed out.

Interesting self propelled in the segment with the White truck. Was that chopper a prototype? There didn't seem to be much to the machine for steering and engine.

Nope. The Meisners are "recent" copyright territory & will give the channel issues. Need to go about 1955 & earlier. Will see what I can do about making it local at least.

Mike

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back