Gleaner F Throttle/Governor Issues

73GleanerF

New User
Hi guys I have a gleaner f pretty sure it's a 73 and it has the inline 6 262? Pretty sure it's the Buda engine but when it's running and warmed up it kind of struggles while it's revving up and if I'm driving with it full throttle the engine will rev down and lose power and then if I quickly return it to idle then rev it up again it will rev up but do the same thing and lose power and it also kind runs a bit rough compared to my other inline 6's because usually they are a really smooth running engine. Hopefully we can get this figured out for harvest

Hi guys I have a gleaner f pretty sure it's a 73 and it has the inline 6 262? Pretty sure it's the Buda engine but when it's running and warmed up it kind of struggles while it's revving up and if I'm driving with it full throttle the engine will rev down and lose power and then if I quickly return it to idle then rev it up again it will rev up but do the same thing and lose power and it also kind runs a bit rough compared to my other inline 6's because usually they are a really smooth running engine. Hopefully we can get this figured out for harvest
The first F's had the Buda/AC/D19 engine you reference. Typical internal governor and updraft carburetor. Most of the F's, at least in my area, had the GM 292. External belt driven governor and down draft carburetor.
I imagine your issue is not governor, but fuel delivery. That starts with a possible screen over the fuel outlet elbow in the bottom of the tank, then sediment bowl, then lift pump, then screen on carb inlet, to something going on in the carb. etc. Not every machine had all of these features, but methodically going through the process from source to finish is the answer.

The first F's had the Buda/AC/D19 engine you reference. Typical internal governor and updraft carburetor. Most of the F's, at least in my area, had the GM 292. External belt driven governor and down draft carburetor.
I imagine your issue is not governor, but fuel delivery. That starts with a possible screen over the fuel outlet elbow in the bottom of the tank, then sediment bowl, then lift pump, then screen on carb inlet, to something going on in the carb. etc. Not every machine had all of these features, but methodically going through the process from source to finish is the answer.
Thanks, my fuel tank is extremely rusty and I added a little inline filter to help ot and it burns through a filter in a week, I'm guessing that could be causing some restriction or my fuel is just so dirty that it plugs the filter immediately. I might try running it off a Jerry can and bypass the tank to see if that helps?, the sediment bowl looks clean but I could also replace that? And how would I go about checking the screens you mentioned if it has them?

Thanks, my fuel tank is extremely rusty and I added a little inline filter to help ot and it burns through a filter in a week, I'm guessing that could be causing some restriction or my fuel is just so dirty that it plugs the filter immediately. I might try running it off a Jerry can and bypass the tank to see if that helps?, the sediment bowl looks clean but I could also replace that? And how would I go about checking the screens you mentioned if it has them?
The screen that's easy to miss is the one in the bottom of the tank, if it has one. If the tank has a large fill hole through which you can fit your arm, the outlet should be directly below, where you reach down and pull the screen off. Then there's the one in sediment bowl.

The screen that's easy to miss is the one in the bottom of the tank, if it has one. If the tank has a large fill hole through which you can fit your arm, the outlet should be directly below, where you reach down and pull the screen off. Then there's the one in sediment bowl.
Alright, so I checked and cleaned all of the screens and I don't think it is a fuel issue, when I push the throttle to full throttle I think the cable is to stiff for the governor to push the throttle lever back if it's supposed to, when ts at full throttle it doesn't rev up all the way it kind of chokes the motor by putting too much fuel into it, I'm just not sure if it's a linkage issue on the carb or if the governor is supposed to move the throttle lever to operating position?

Alright, so I checked and cleaned all of the screens and I don't think it is a fuel issue, when I push the throttle to full throttle I think the cable is to stiff for the governor to push the throttle lever back if it's supposed to, when ts at full throttle it doesn't rev up all the way it kind of chokes the motor by putting too much fuel into it, I'm just not sure if it's a linkage issue on the carb or if the governor is supposed to move the throttle lever to operating position?
Sounds like you need to have assistance so one can operate the controls and one can observe what's happening. If it is the AC/Buda 262, I recall a D19 tractor where the governor control would stick.

Sounds like you need to have assistance so one can operate the controls and one can observe what's happening. If it is the AC/Buda 262, I recall a D19 tractor where the governor control would stick.
I'll get some help and let you know how it goes

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back