Help identify this planter please

Fair1

New User
I’m trying to find some information on this planter. I’m also having trouble with corn seed jamming up. I can’t find any parts diagrams for this one but the ones similar to it looks like I may have a part or two missing from the bottom of the seed hopper. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0432.jpeg
    IMG_0432.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
These are the plates that I have tried

Attachments

• IMG_0436.jpeg
    IMG_0436.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0440.jpeg
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
I assume it is a JD 70 or 71. But I’m no JD expert!

I wonder what that one plate is for, with the very few notches. Different than what I’ve seen. Perhaps that’s normal and the other plate is the odd one. Or they would be for very different planting speeds?

The plate with all the notches would be for beans I would expect.

The corn plate(s?) can be for flat or round seed, and then for small, medium, or large seed in either flat or round. So you either need a lot of plates to match different seed sizes, or you need to be very careful to get the seed size for your one plate.

These days they do not sort seed sizes as carefully as they used to, so it can be harder to match up a plate to a bag of seed. Less folk are using plates any more.

Lincoln Ag sells plastic plates that should fit your planter.

To me it looks like that planter has run a lot of seed through it. The bottom has a lot of wear on it where the plates rub on it which might allow the plate to ride up and down. Letting seed get in under or over the plate. Then those groves in the bottom where the seeds fall into the seed tube, I don’t know that the grooves should be there - but again I’m not a JD plate person, I had Case and IHC plate planters….

Paul

I assume it is a JD 70 or 71. But I’m no JD expert!

I wonder what that one plate is for, with the very few notches. Different than what I’ve seen. Perhaps that’s normal and the other plate is the odd one. Or they would be for very different planting speeds?

The plate with all the notches would be for beans I would expect.

The corn plate(s?) can be for flat or round seed, and then for small, medium, or large seed in either flat or round. So you either need a lot of plates to match different seed sizes, or you need to be very careful to get the seed size for your one plate.

These days they do not sort seed sizes as carefully as they used to, so it can be harder to match up a plate to a bag of seed. Less folk are using plates any more.

Lincoln Ag sells plastic plates that should fit your planter.

To me it looks like that planter has run a lot of seed through it. The bottom has a lot of wear on it where the plates rub on it which might allow the plate to ride up and down. Letting seed get in under or over the plate. Then those groves in the bottom where the seeds fall into the seed tube, I don’t know that the grooves should be there - but again I’m not a JD plate person, I had Case and IHC plate planters….

Paul
The first two are for corn and the third is for soybeans. The 694 number on the first two i remember as a number dad used. And its been over 30 years ago. Dad had a 494 planter.

The first two are for corn and the third is for soybeans. The 694 number on the first two i remember as a number dad used. And its been over 30 years ago. Dad had a 494 planter.
Oh duh. Looking on a better screen now, they are the same plate, one has every other hole filled in. I would assume to plant sweet corn, lower planting rate, wider plant spacing. Duh on my part, sorry.

I’m trying to find some information on this planter. I’m also having trouble with corn seed jamming up. I can’t find any parts diagrams for this one but the ones similar to it looks like I may have a part or two missing from the bottom of the seed hopper. Thanks
I can't tell from the pictures- there should be a little cover screwed to the casting with the spring loaded knocker/roller under it.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think the spring loaded knocker/roller is what’s missing too. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement? Thanks.

So…. The JD 70 and 71 I see on line all have the chain drive on the right side. Yours has the chain drive on the left side.

I see a few older models that drive on the right side but it’s with old style flat chain, and model numbers aren’t mentioned.

I wonder what you have there?

Many times the parts in the seed hopper are used across many models, but still we should figure out what it is you have there! The more modern drive chain with the older design is a bit perplexing.

John Deere is obviously one place to find parts. If the parts are consistent with the model 71 newest version, Yetter bought out the design for that model 71 and is making new planters and parts with the same blueprints now.

And yes you need the cover and seed knocker that is above where the seed drops down, I thought you had removed it didn’t realize it is entirely missing.

Paul

Last edited:
Oh duh. Looking on a better screen now, they are the same plate, one has every other hole filled in. I would assume to plant sweet corn, lower planting rate, wider plant spacing. Duh on my part, sorry.
The 694 could be for sweet corn but Dad was planting field corn, flat kernal.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back