help with ford 8n not starting

i have a 8n and has been running good ,day before yesterday it started skipping a little. yesterday it wouldnt hardly start and when it did it spitted and skipped and today it wont start at all just turn over took distriburator off looked okay reset points and still wont start got 12 volts down to coil any one have a idea whats going on

i have a 8n and has been running good ,day before yesterday it started skipping a little. yesterday it wouldnt hardly start and when it did it spitted and skipped and today it wont start at all just turn over took distriburator off looked okay reset points and still wont start got 12 volts down to coil any one have a idea whats going on
Basic questions that will be asked. How is the timed fuel flow into a pint jar from the carb bowl drain? Do you have spark to the plugs? How far will it jump?

As Jim said you need to trouble shoot a bit.
#1 pull the carb drain plug at the bottom of the carb and catch the gas. It needs to fill a pint jar in less then 3 minutes and 2 if even better.
#2 you need to check that you have a good blue white spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap or more. I use an old spark plug that I have gaped about a 1/4 inch to test spark
#3 when was the last time you cleaned the oil filter and dumped the mud and water and filled with fresh oil

As Jim said you need to trouble shoot a bit.
#1 pull the carb drain plug at the bottom of the carb and catch the gas. It needs to fill a pint jar in less then 3 minutes and 2 if even better.
#2 you need to check that you have a good blue white spark that will jump a 1/4 inch gap or more. I use an old spark plug that I have gaped about a 1/4 inch to test spark
#3 when was the last time you cleaned the oil filter and dumped the mud and water and filled with fresh oil
old,
I hope you meant air filter for #3. If he has mud and water in the oil filter he has big troubles.

You might recheck point gap. Front mount .015 with heel of breaker arm on the low position of the distributor cam. The last thing you worked on. I messed this up in the past.

I would describe the point setting a little differently. The rubbing block on the breaker arm that rides against the distributor cam should be at the top of one of the cam lobes. Or the point it is pushing the points to their widest gap opening. Those other directions would tend to goof me up. Unless the points are positioned below the cam and he is describing the height above the ground or floor in regards to how the cam is pushing points?? I’m a Farmall guy so if one of these Ford guys sees this and I am wrong they will definitely let me know! :oops:

You may be right. I have the later sidemount now. Someone may correct it. Taken from the 2n Ford Ferguson service manual. Bringing it up because I know I messed it up a long time ago. Looking at later Ford IT manual described totally different.

You may be right. I have the later sidemount now. Someone may correct it. Taken from the 2n Ford Ferguson service manual. Bringing it up because I know I messed it up a long time ago. Looking at later Ford IT manual described totally different.
used red MN is right, point gap gets set with the rubbing block on the high point of the distributor cam lobe. If you set a .015" gap between the contacts at the low point (between lobes) the gap will only get wider as the rubbing block goes up the distributor cam lobe. The contacts would not close in that scenario, they have to make and break for the ignition system to work.

I do agree. That is how I set the sidemount at .025. I mean to recheck your last work.. I was misleading. . different gaps on front or sidemount can get confusing easy to mix up if you look it up.. I was wrong in how I left it.

Last edited:
I guess this is the first post you started. Notice you didn't answer any of the questions but started a second post about your tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back