2nd post 8n ford wont start

thanks for everyone posting on this matter, fuel is getting to carb okay, even took a shot of starter fluid in carb and nothing, the spark is very weak cant hardly see it so whats next points/condenser/ coil it is 12 volts all the way to coil not sure is it is getting to distributor? thanks for help Gary

How did you test spark? Do you have a spark tester and open it to 1/4"? Front or side distributor? You say it's a 12V convert, did you do it? How is it wired? resistors? If you don't know if you have voltage to the distributor, I'd say that would be a good thing to check. Don't change any parts without a reason.

I just saw your first post about your tractor, do the tests from the first and post the results.

Last edited:
Gary, I saw this post and the first one. Your symptoms that you described are very common to worn out or burned up points. Check them first. See what the contacts look like and what point gap is there. Don't just start throwing parts at it. Let us know.

My apologies for my confusing post. I was trying to say my 1943 Ford Ferguson manual said to set it on the flat and I did it long ago. Spellcheck and me backing up I confused it really bad. Sorry to everyone. No excuse for it, I messed it up. Gary was trying to get away from it with the new post. My bad.

Gary, I saw this post and the first one. Your symptoms that you described are very common to worn out or burned up points. Check them first. See what the contacts look like and what point gap is there. Don't just start throwing parts at it. Let us know.
What should the point gap be?

What should the point gap be?
If it has the front mount distributor the point gap is 0.015. It might be a good idea to replace the points if they look bad but not a good choice to replace the condenser since now days about 50% of new condensers are bad right out of the box

If it has the front mount distributor the point gap is 0.015. It might be a good idea to replace the points if they look bad but not a good choice to replace the condenser since now days about 50% of new condensers are bad right out of the box
If it has the side or angle mount distributor the point gap is 0.025.

thanks for everyone posting on this matter, fuel is getting to carb okay, even took a shot of starter fluid in carb and nothing, the spark is very weak cant hardly see it so whats next points/condenser/ coil it is 12 volts all the way to coil not sure is it is getting to distributor? thanks for help Gary
FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring. Fuel Flow Test always the first check so you are OK there we assume. Likely root cause is in the distributor. Front Mount is a bit tricky. A 12V battery does not mean the system is wired correctly for the 12V/NEG GRN setup. Got the OEM Ballast Resistor in the coil circuit? Got a 12V Coil? Got a DECLO 10-SI 1-Wire or 3-Wire ALTERNATOR? Got a belt tensioner on ALT? SEE HERE - PICTOGRAMS by JMOR:

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• 9N & 2N 12V WIRING.jpg
    9N & 2N 12V WIRING.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 17
  • 9N & 2N WIRING - 6V & 12V.jpg
    9N & 2N WIRING - 6V & 12V.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • FORD 9N-12250 BALLAST RESISTOR.jpg
    FORD 9N-12250 BALLAST RESISTOR.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back