Helping your kids???

JD Seller

I have always tried to help my kids but not enable them. I do not know if that is clear. What I mean is I have loaned smaller sums of money to my kids to help them through a tough spot or two. Not concert tickets or something like that, a true emergency type of thing. They have always paid me back and I never really worried about it. I thought that was kind of the normal way of helping/parenting when you can. It would seem that many do not act that way.

This afternoon a young fellow that worked for us as a teenager came by. He is a real good kid. Good worker and polite. He stammered and hum hauled around for about an hour before I asked him point blank what I could do to help him. He has been working construction for a smaller company in Cedar Rapids. He went to work Monday to find out the company went broke. So he has ZERO job. He was making a good hourly wage too with lots of over time in the last few weeks since we have had very little rain.

Here is his problem. His last pay check bounced Tuesday. It was for two weeks of work with a lot of overtime so it is a pretty good amount. He had some saving so he was able to cover his checking account when the pay check bounced. This left him essentially broke. He went to his Dad and asked him if he could borrow some money until he found a new job and his Dad refused telling the kid that he was out on his own now so sink or swim. What the heck????? This is a good kid. He has zero debt. A cheaper Apartment and a used pickup that is paid for. He does not have or wants a credit card. He does not feel it would be smart to go borrow money from a bank without a job in hand.

So here is what my Sons and I did. I told him to be at the farm early tomorrow morning. We would giving him enough work to keep him going. He is to work weekends and evenings when he is not looking for work. His main job is to look for a job that will allow him to meet his bills. Minimum wage at Wally world would not help him much. My son told him that He would have a pay check Saturday morning for a weeks work. This will give him enough to go job hunting Monday morning. He can catch up when he finds a job. Until then he will be paid normal just one week ahead.

He is a good kid and we will get some hard work done with him around. Why would a Father not help a good kid???? I even asked the young man if his Dad had ever helped him any and he told me no. He said the day he turned 18 he had to pay rent until he found an apartment and he had two months to do it in. WHAT?????

I really wondered if this could be true. So this evening I called a fellow that knows the young man's Dad pretty well. It is true. The Father thinks once his kids hit 18 he owes them nothing else. That seems kind of hard hearted to me.

What do you fellow think????

I'm thinking the kid's old man needs a good shaking....I am the oldest of 8, and if that would have happened to a brother or nephew the rest of us would have stepped up and helped him through it...

(quoted from post at 19:27:45 08/05/15) I have always tried to help my kids but not enable them. I do not know if that is clear. What I mean is I have loaned smaller sums of money to my kids to help them through a tough spot or two. Not concert tickets or something like that, a true emergency type of thing. They have always paid me back and I never really worried about it. I thought that was kind of the normal way of helping/parenting when you can. It would seem that many do not act that way.

This afternoon a young fellow that worked for us as a teenager came by. He is a real good kid. Good worker and polite. He stammered and hum hauled around for about an hour before I asked him point blank what I could do to help him. He has been working construction for a smaller company in Cedar Rapids. He went to work Monday to find out the company went broke. So he has ZERO job. He was making a good hourly wage too with lots of over time in the last few weeks since we have had very little rain.

Here is his problem. His last pay check bounced Tuesday. It was for two weeks of work with a lot of overtime so it is a pretty good amount. He had some saving so he was able to cover his checking account when the pay check bounced. This left him essentially broke. He went to his Dad and asked him if he could borrow some money until he found a new job and his Dad refused telling the kid that he was out on his own now so sink or swim. What the heck????? This is a good kid. He has zero debt. A cheaper Apartment and a used pickup that is paid for. He does not have or wants a credit card. He does not feel it would be smart to go borrow money from a bank without a job in hand.

So here is what my Sons and I did. I told him to be at the farm early tomorrow morning. We would giving him enough work to keep him going. He is to work weekends and evenings when he is not looking for work. His main job is to look for a job that will allow him to meet his bills. Minimum wage at Wally world would not help him much. My son told him that He would have a pay check Saturday morning for a weeks work. This will give him enough to go job hunting Monday morning. He can catch up when he finds a job. Until then he will be paid normal just one week ahead.

He is a good kid and we will get some hard work done with him around. Why would a Father not help a good kid???? I even asked the young man if his Dad had ever helped him any and he told me no. He said the day he turned 18 he had to pay rent until he found an apartment and he had two months to do it in. WHAT?????

I really wondered if this could be true. So this evening I called a fellow that knows the young man's Dad pretty well. It is true. The Father thinks once his kids hit 18 he owes them nothing else. That seems kind of hard hearted to me.

What do you fellow think????

His dad is a real Richard, no matter what his real name is. I'd bet his dad wasn't treated like that.

I told the wife one time what I thought of her sister. We went to visit them when my oldest son was about to finish high school. Her sister told us that as soon as he was out of school he needs to start paying us rent. Well it back fire on her. My two sons are married, have good paying jobs and raising a family. Her sister and her husband have a boy and a girl, still living with mom and dad, and in their 40's. They both are beyond lazy. I never ask her if she was getting a rent check. I just keep my distance.

Seems really cold hearted to me. When I was 29 I nearly lost the right leg while riding the motorcycle to work. Spent 45 days in the hospital, was single at the time. When released went straight back home to parents home awhile, it was just understood that was to happen while in recovery mode. Was able to go back to work part time three months after the accident happened. Now my parents are in there 80s and it's my turn with younger brothers and sister's help to look after them. That's how families should be..

He can have a job in construction in the Iowa City area by noon tomorrow, if he wants to drive that far.

My son in law needed 60 guys in May and could only find 50 off the bench. This was for jobs he had going in MN, Il, Missouri and Ia.

Construction workers are still needed.

He will find a job.

Gary

The kid's dad sounds a bit hard hearted.

A dozen or so years ago, I paid our daughter's rent for several months while she was job hunting. Then, a year ago, when she moved from Washington DC to Omaha, I put $5,000 in her savings account, "just in case", during her move. She already had her job in Omaha, but unexpected things can come up in a move like that. The money is still in her savings account.

That's just what parents do.

I've done that - I'm not giving you a hand out, but I will give you a hand up. You'll have to work for it, but I will find things for you to do to make ends meet.

A good friend charged each of her kids rent starting when they graduated from high school. Nothing much, but a couple hundred bucks. She took that money and put it in an account for each kid. When they moved out they got all of the money they had paid in rent to use for security deposits, bills, etc. it showed all of the kids what saving can do, helped them get on their feet, but it was all money they had earned. I thought that was pretty smart.

I think you are doing good to help the young man out. These days the idea of job security is an illusion, even working for a large company. In fact it may be worse at a large company.

What you are doing is what people used to do before a different of people decided the Gov should operate a "social safety net". People helped out people in their community. The Gov. operated net is a nice idea on paper but fraught with practical issues that we see everyday and is financially inefficient. You are at least providing the dignity of earned pay while he figures his next move.

Anybody can get knocked down at any stage of life for a variety of reasons. "You're on your own" is not a solution or a way to get young adults started in life.

JD Seller. I must commend you for the way you have offered this boy a leg up. The help is there but he must earn it. Our boys were raised the same way but they always knew I was there to back them up if they genuinely needed a leg up. I do believe though that the boys dad did raise him with good ethics even if he did drop him at 18. Bob

Gary: I would bet your right in that he will soon find work. I think he was in shock more than anything else. He is just 20 and this really shook him up. I will bet that he will have a whole lot bigger emergency fund after he finds work again. He is a good kid that just needed some support and his "Father" failed in that regard in my opinion.

David I think it was Raven Excavating. Two brothers and about 3-4 guys was all the bigger out fit it was. I am not sure where they were based out of but they worked mainly in Cedar Rapids and Waterloo.

I've seen parents do that. Never thought in all but one or 2 cases it was right. I know we have helped out kids out enough times and yes I make sure they pay me back in all but one case. Son and DIL had a downs baby born with a heart condition that required open heart surgery at 4 months. I paid their light bill for 3 months while they both missed a lot of work and were driving 150 miles one way to the children's hospital in the twin cities. I never ask for that money back.

Rick

Sounds like Dad and him may have had some words. I think I would help my kids if I could, but only so far. I have a daughter who has been living here on the farm for the past 20 years. She stormed out of our home 25 years ago and moved in with her G-mother, and later, a boyfriend. Five years later, her Grandmother begged and pleaded for me to let her move a trailer onto my farm. Over the last 20 years, she has paid no rent, no taxes, and no insurance. She has come to me several times for money to keep her electric from being turned off, but not once for her cell phone or cable TV bill. The lights are on all night, as is the idiot box. Her husband was thrown out last winter when he sired a kid with a local floozy, and she lost her job a few months back. I just found out that her drivers license expired in January, and her car is about dead, but she wants ME to buy her a newer one. After twenty years of this chit, my pockets have been sewn shut. The bank window is closed. Sorry, I love the kid, but it has turned into "tough love". She is 42 years old, and it's time to grow up, put her big girls pants on, and fend for herself.

May be that your kids dad is doing the same......

Gary I think he was more of general labor type. He was learning the run the machinery but he would not be a certified operator or anything. He can run a backhoe well as he has ran mine many times. I gave him some leads on some of the local outfits that usually are looking for help too. He should find something pretty fast.

Heck I still have a 27 year old son living at home.
His mom acts like she wants to kick him out every now and then; but I tell her leave him alone as it cost us nothing extra for him to stay here.

I kind of feel sorry for this dad.
If he lives to be 80 he will wish he had treated his kids better.

donjr I can easily understand you view point. I have a sister that is 45 now and until about two years ago she was just like your daughter. She seems to have found a good fellow and they have been married for 3-4 years. She is renting my Father's old house and they have not missed the rent in just about a year and usually are early. That sure would not have been her before this.

I do not think this boy and his Dad have had words. His Dad just seems like a real tool.

My kids have lived with us as adults at times. I would never think of charging them rent. They usually just pickup some of the bills while they where here. The last time was 3-4 years ago. My middle son sold his one house and the "new" house did not get remodeled as fast as it should have. They stayed with us for 3 months. He and my DIL bought all of the food for the whole house and the DIL cooked 95% of all the meals for us all. So that was good enough for me. (She is good cook too) LOL

This one son has never not lived here.
My other kids have come and gone and come and gone as needed.
I would never think of telling them no when they needed "real" help.

Can this kid run a forklift.
Company I work for has a listing for dockworkers in WATERLOO and QUAD CITIES.
Do not know if that is your area or if jobs are still available but if you want info I will post it.

Tim;
You are too kind. Down south we would say someone needs to take the old man out behind the wood shed and whoop some sense into him. There are some people who have no business being a parent and he's a prime example.

(quoted from post at 20:43:24 08/05/15) Sounds like Dad and him may have had some words. I think I would help my kids if I could, but only so far. I have a daughter who has been living here on the farm for the past 20 years. She stormed out of our home 25 years ago and moved in with her G-mother, and later, a boyfriend. Five years later, her Grandmother begged and pleaded for me to let her move a trailer onto my farm. Over the last 20 years, she has paid no rent, no taxes, and no insurance. She has come to me several times for money to keep her electric from being turned off, but not once for her cell phone or cable TV bill. The lights are on all night, as is the idiot box. Her husband was thrown out last winter when he sired a kid with a local floozy, and she lost her job a few months back. I just found out that her drivers license expired in January, and her car is about dead, but she wants ME to buy her a newer one. After twenty years of this chit, my pockets have been sewn shut. The bank window is closed. Sorry, I love the kid, but it has turned into "tough love". She is 42 years old, and it's time to grow up, put her big girls pants on, and fend for herself.

May be that your kids dad is doing the same......

You are too nice. When my kids have come to me for help to include staying with us they know they have to help out around here. Not a completely free ride. I don't care if it's kicking in for food, helping with chores, doing the dishes or mowing the lawn. I'm not about to let my wife or myself do extra work because they are lazy. In a case like you if that were one of my kids she'd of been out of here long ago.

Heck several times I've started saving to buy a better piece of equipment or to put up a heated shop and it seems like every time it's one kid or another needs some help. Then while they are making payments something else breaks and that extra money gets spent on repairs. :roll: But as long as they are working and trying to get ahead I'll help em out as needed.

Rick

sure hate to be that dad if he ever falls on hard times or needs a place to stay when he gets old
my kids are all grown & married, but if asked would do what ever I could to help them
kinda thought that was what families were for ?
bob

We loaned money to our kids. Had them sign an interest bearing note, just to teach them how business is done. Forgave the interest when they made payments on the note. They each only asked to borrow once, after that they took care of their own finances. If we hadn't set it up for payback, I'm thinking they would have kept coming back for more and more - that's just human nature.

Around here the kids were encouraged to leave the nest after collage. Did we help them out? Heck yes! I paid NYC rent and loaned our daughter(my step daughter) money to finish med school with the understanding it was a loan. Its all paid off. I bought cars for the kids the youngest just sold his with over 230,000 miles on it and bought his first new car(he also is married and they own they're own place). I'm happy to say with a little help along the way all four are doing well on they're own, only one doesn't own his own place but that is his choice, he likes to travel when he can.

The kid's old man is a jerk and the shoe will be on the other foot one of these days and he'll probably go around complaining about the kid not having any respect for him etc.
Glad you fellows are helping him out of a jam.

You are a good man JD Seller. We've helped our kids out and when they hit 18 that is when they really needed the help. Both kids have really good jobs and make more than Mom and Dad and that's great.

I've been lucky, both of my kids have done well, good jobs, haven't hand to move back home like many boomerangs.

When it comes to loans, I just give my children an early inheritance, but I make sure each child gets the same amount.

As a landlord, I sometimes take chances on the down and out people. Sometimes it comes back and bites me and sometimes it doesn't. The last person had a cheating husband, divorced, 2 kids, works two jobs, no family to help, got evicted because her GI bill took months, 5 years in Navy said a lot for her. Been a landlord long enough I can read people by appearance, the way the talk, so I took a chance. Again I may come back to bite me or I may have a good tenant. She reminds me of another tenant I took a chance on. She her get her life together, back on her feet, bought a house, and happy for her.

I won't give a person a job or allow them to do improvements. I know of a case where a landlord told a tenant who was behind on rent, you paint the house and it worth 2 months rent. Tenants falls off ladder and landlord get sued. Payment in kind is the same as landlord is employer, tenant is employee, workman’s comp applies.

I'm sure glad none of you specially trained family councilors/financial planners have ever stuck your noses into any of our family's business!

You all know next to nothing about the situation between the kid and his Dad. "Shaking the old man up" behind the barn will either end up with You getting your clock cleaned or arrested for assault. Why would you guys even suggest that? I would think a bunch of old farts like you guys would know enough to keep your opinions to yourself.

If the kid is so smart, where was his savings account to fall back on in emergencies? You suppose Dad ever suggested the kid save for that rainy day? Sounds like he was spending as fast as he was earning. I bet Dad's wish will come true now, that the kid will put something aside now that he's learned one of life's lessons.

Not sure I could ask a non-family person for money. Or a friend or neighbor. I've never asked my Mom or Dad for money either. I loaned the folks several Thousand bucks one summer when I was in college. Worked two jobs all summer, couple days before I took off for school Dad asked for several thousand bucks, so I wrote him a check. I was cheaper interest than the bank, and they paid me back over the Holidays just before I needed the money for school books. They had a payment coming up on the farm and some summers Dad didn't get a lot of work.

Some people just think that way. My brother-in-law is the same way. He threw his kids out when they became of age and my wife was living with him when she was young and he threw her out too. I always wondered why he didn't throw his mother out after she was done raising his kids. She was the only exception.

Maybe I should have done that. I have a 30 year old son that moved off and got married and then moved back home with his wife. Then I have a 22 year old daughter that never left. In fact she has never even been on a date or got a job. That one really bothers me. If I kick off she will be in a world of hurt.

1986 my daughter decided to go to leave Ohio and go to California to college. I paid for the college and put $25,000 in a checking account, told her this was if she needed money and do not become indebted to anyone. She worked as a waitress and never took one penny from the checking account. She has her own business and has never asked for money.
Several years ago another one of my daughters was getting a divorce, they had sold the house and she found a new condo at a close out sale. She asked me to cosign for her, I told no because until they were divorced he would own half of it. I told her I always wanted to own a condo and I would buy it, but after her divorce was final I don't think I would want to own a condo. One week after her divorce was final she called and asked me to meet her at the bank to sign over the papers.

I am lucky all my children are hard workers and have made it on their own after college.

I'm on your side and was trying to find a way to say it. You got it right. One thing I know for sure, the best you can expect is that the kids story was shaded to his side by leaving off anything that makes him look bad. No one knows what really goes on in someone else's house.

For those that think this fellow should of socked away a pile of money for a rainy day I'm here to tell you that is VERY hard to do !
I work full time and between taxes and insurance companies there is little left for house payments or rent and then your food and then gas and all the little things that come along like car repairs, tires for the car, gas for the lawn mower. Then you have to go to the doctor and none of the tests are covered anymore until you get to your high deductible. That eats up a lot of savings !
Many of us out here in the real world not living a fancy life and barely getting by paycheck to paycheck !

JD, ya did a good thing.
I posted before about the farmer that gave me a job when I was in a bind about 40 years ago.(I had worked for him when I was a kid)
He didn't need me, but he took me on anyway.
Between the few dollars I made there and the daily produce he gave me, my family ate and had heat, until I found a job about a month later.
I'll never forget the favor. he and his ever needs anything...ever...I'll move mountains to help.

The other issue...you can't pick your parents...bad person?..no hope of ever being a good person....walk away

"What do you fellow think???? "

I think its up to THAT son and HIS parents to decide how to handle the issue, no way its my call or any of my business nor will I (an outsider) pass judgment on how THOSE people work it out. Myself and my own family have our own ways of dealing with such. As the saying goes, to each their own and no right or wrong answer here.

John T

DR. EVIL. The kid had enough saving to cover his current bills after his pay check bounced. That was around $2K. This is the first of the month. Rent, utilities and such are DUE now. The kid had just paid his bills for the month. You also need to remember that this spring and summer have not been the best for outside work with lots of rain and such. I was surprised he had that much saved back. I think some one posted here a while back about how many Americans could not pay a several hundred dollar surprise bill without a credit card.

Plus he did not ASK me for any money. HE asked me for a job of some type.

Maybe it will not turn out but I will take a chance on the young man.

I also never said to take out anything on his Father. I just asked how many of you handled YOUR kids and such. I personally know very few that just kick their kids out at 18. Maybe that is the norm for some but not me.

There is no way to know the entire story. I have raised two, and I can tell you that there are things that have went on within the family that are simply not public knowledge, nor any business of anyone else outside the family. With that said, you are likely doing the right thing, but keep a watchful eye out. I know one of mine used to be very convincing that he was on the straight and narrow, but was not the case, and several fell victim (including mom and myself) to his convincing hard luck stories. He has since learned the hard way, and now works a full time job, paying back some debt, and has some money put away. Hopefully this young man has good intentions, and is simply trying to get back on his feet, however just saying that there may be things going on that you or anyone outside the family many not be aware. Either way, he will likely learn from this experience, and hopefully be stronger because of it.

Who knows why the kid's dad refused to help. The old man might be an out of touch ding-aling or he might be near broke himself. I know of quite a few situations where it was the kids keeping mom and dad from winding up in the street. Even though some people have kids and age they never grow themselves. Some just live in a fantasy world period because the day thus far has never come to shake them into reality.

I would also say the way the game is rigged today is it is hard to save money and that is figuring in conservatism in terms of meals and transportation. I challenge anybody here to put themselves in the position of the kid where they have to pay rent and insurance, buy food, and make a vehicle payment off his salary. The world is far different than it was a generation or two ago. Most jobs pay minimum wage which is alright if you do not have to be the breadwinner in the house and just looking for grocery and spending money. Nearly all the good paying jobs around here are taken with the people in them not going to quit until death or retirement. It don't matter what you think of a place when you walk in you usually see the same faces even if the owner or manager is a turd. It has to be brutally bad to see turnover. I used to think a lot like quite a few in that if people tried hard enough they would succeed but I am one of a growing number that feels there is a fundamental problem nowadays in a person being able to make a living without walking the tightrope over Niagara Falls so to speak.

I think you did a very Noble thing JD. It really dont matter about the kids dad. The conversation was with you and the young man and you stepped up to the plate. Good Job, and thanks

I'll have to agree with John T here, it is not possible to know the whole story from the outside, heck, even from inside the family some times. Each person in each family has to react according to their core beliefs and accept the consequences. That acceptance usually seems to be the missing step- the Dad threw him out, can't complain when he doesn't come back decades later. If you allowed your kid to move back in with no limits (rent to pay or timeline to move back out or help provided, whatever), you must accept the consequences of that as well.

My wife was adamant that our kids were not to be forced to perform work around here. No specific chore list, no forcing to hoe that row, etc. The consequences I have had to accept are a dusty house, taking the garbage out myself, and at least one bathroom in need of cleaning. She seems okay with these and actually embraces a dirty house over a rigid schedule of cleaning (like I was raised with).
I never had to do any of the farming "chores" when I was growing up, because I could not wait to go out and do those cool farming things like shoveling manure or cultivating corn. My kids really want nothing to do with any of it, just like their mother. Yet, every employer they have had raves about their abilities and work ethic. With two in college and one more soon, the times to leave the nest are quickly upon us, how we handle those remains to be seen. But I know the consequences will be there.

Sorry, tl;dr

I have 2 problems at least with condemning the dad. First is that the kid is looking for work, not a handout. That shows charactor and that charactor came from somewhere, likely the parents. Second is as said, maybe dad doesn't have the money to help out. If any of my kids came to me for more than a few hundred dollars I wouldn't be able to help them either, according to some here that appears to make me a bad person. It's easy to pass judgement, not so easy to live in someone elses shoes.

Glad to here you and your boys were there to help this lad out. Everyone needs a bit of help when they are starting out on life's journey. You and your sons are obviously are folks this fella look up to and admire. No doubt during his time working for you in the past, made a ositive impression on him. And you guys are a father figure to him, and so he would naturally come to you for help, and he new he could get it. There is more to raising kids than just feeding and watering them, some one has to demonstrate leadership, and compassion. I have 3 sons , and like you, help them when they need help. But give them plenty of chance to make their own mistakes.

No reason to turn this into a fight. I had kids in the Army who's parents kicked them out for one reason or another. They couldn't have been that bad of kids because during most of this time 3 speeding tickets were enough to keep you from enlisting. Another kid had at young age been given to his grandparents to raise him and at least once a week he got a phone call from his parents trying to beg for money. I've know guys who claimed to have been kicked out at 18 and while being good parents for the most part did the same to their kids because "it didn't hurt me none". I've also know people who treated their kids like crap and kicked kids out at 18. Others have let dead beat children live with them far past 18, or 28 or 38. I've know kids who's parents treated them poorly who are taking or did take good care of their own parents when they needed it. Takes a lot of different people to make up this world.

I think this is a good topic but I don't think it's worth a fight. It's interesting to see others viewpoints too.

Rick

In general, his father may be of the opinion its a hardline world, you're going to have to make it work, (hurts him as much as the kid so to speak), may not have anything to help him with, maybe he's just not so nice of a person, but we don't really know any of that.

One common denominator here is the kids attitude and work ethic, he's willing to do whats necessary, knows how to work hard and earn a good wage, he's willing to make sacrifices in times of need, all of that is help in itself. Its so much worse when you have to carry, drag or otherwise motivate a person to a point where they can "carry the ball" vs this young man who will parachute in and run with the ball just as his feet touch the ground.

I think you have described some hard times in the content of your posts here over the years and its easy to connect your willingness to help someone in genuine need to those kinds of times. That speaks volumes of your good character. Its like, "Hey, I've been there, now I won't give anything away, but I can help, and you'll have to work for it to get through."

I've been there too, feel the same way, I'll help as long as the person wants to help themselves in the first place, they have to do it, its on them to succeed, and if a little assistance is needed so be it.

Its sure no fun to face a situation like this, get stiffed on a paycheck, trying to figure out if there's any way to recover any of that, take care of immediate threats and still look for new work, not knowing if you can earn a paycheck asap or if your finances will be in arrears.

Whatever the situation with the father is, we know one thing, for whatever reason he won't or cannot help. You say to the kid, hey that is fine, you can work on that relationship where possible, but here's what, I've got work for you, enough to get you through. With that, because of your good nature, he's got some positive reinforcement, both of which helps with forward momentum, there's no doubt he will get through this and probably a dozen more like it in his life, the first one makes all the difference, later ones he'll likely weather easier, and be more prepared. It sure is nice to catch a break sometimes.

I've been there and the single most important thing was to stay busy, no matter what the work is, go every day and persist until you get back to the better work you may have, at some point the realization will occur that you have succeeded in overcoming the obstacle, even though it seemed impossible.

JD you and your sons are the people that has their heads screwed on straight, what you did is the right thing to do. The father isn't a part of this agreement and it sounds like he was just a sperm donor and not a father.

My Bible says acts yours will be rewarded.

May God Bless you and your family for trying to do the right thing.

Brokengun

You know, this kid could have gone directly to the government office and applied for welfare. But he didnt. That says a lot right there.

You did right, I've done similar before. I applaud kids who want to try and try hard and not fall back on a gov handout. No one is perfect, sometimes each of us need a little help to make the next step. But you have take that help and use your own hard work too. The Lord helps those who help themselves.

Ronnie,

Send me his info, I will pass onto a couple of trusted contractors in Cedar Rapids.

You vouch for him???

If everything stated is the unvarnished truth, I would say that you did a good thing. However, I am simply not qualified to comment further than that.
Some observations, though. The father may find himself to be very lonely and left "out in the cold" so to speak in his old age. That boy will most likely get along fine in this life with his work ethic and attitude.
Above all. thank you for being a friend to a person in need.

Well that's where I am. My daughter won't speak to me because at 52 and about $65k of wasted investing in the oldest to make something of himself I told him: "I'm not the bank and not a social welfare office. You got all you are going to get from me."

Do I regret it? Heck no. Actually now I don't have to listen to my daughter's abundant mouth. A trait she picked up getting that abundant education.

My parents always helped my next to youngest brother a lot as he was starting to make his way in the world. He lived with them, they loaned and gave him money, fed him, bought and loaned him cars, set him up in a small service business. My brother just a year younger than me, who who had a Heating/Cooling business tried to give him a job several times. In all cases he failed... failed to repay loans, failed to not crash cars, failed to show up for work, failed in a marriage. He drank too much, took too many drugs, smokes too much and never held any job for more than a few months. He got arrested for DUI many times, had his license pulled many times and got arrested twice for stalking some girl he was convinced was the one, after the restraining order couldn't convince him she wasn't. It's not like he doesn't try, he just doesn't, never did, never will. He talks a good story but there is no action behind it. Dad and Mom had enough of him and cut off all support, although they made a loan to him for a car and made him sign a note... he made a couple of payments and now that the car won't run he's stopped paying. A sister who is executor of our parents estate told him he either pays it back or it come out of his share of the estate, if there is enough to cover it.

He's 54 yrs. old and is living with a woman in her late 70s, blind in one eye, with bad health. Her daughter hates him and when the mother passes away he's out of the trailer he lives in with her. He panicked when the old lady had to go to the hospital for a week, he thought his number was up. My sister will not let him live with her and my 90 yr. old mother (Sis is caretaker for mother, God bless them both). My other sister down there will not have anything to do with him and the two brothers there also have lives and families and won't deal with him. He lives too far away from me to even ask for help. Dad said once when he let him move in, again, "should I just let him live under a bridge?" Our answer is "yes". That's where he will be if he can't get into a homeless shelter once the meal ticket punches out. The beach can be nice some of the year too.

All this to point out that you can help some people and they take advantage of the help and make something of themselves. Others come to a point where there is nothing more you can do for them because they won't help themselves, except to your wallet.

What [b:8be495b278]Billy NY [/b:8be495b278] AND [b:8be495b278]W_B[/b:8be495b278] said -

when you said "Plus he did not ASK me for any money. HE asked me for a job of some type.

Maybe it will not turn out but I will take a chance on the young man."

i think you sid all that was needed to be said and good enough!

JDSeller, I work for a great company called Terracon, we are always looking for good people. We are hiring technicians all the time to oversee construction, cast cylinders to break in our labs during concrete pours, make sure rebar is in the foots, run density gauges to verify compaction etc. We have a large office in Cedar rapids and I'd be glad to get him an interview.

JDseller has "fixed" my old 4010 tractor several times by answering my dumb questions, thank you!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back