Hitch category conundrum

I own several pieces of cat 1 implements (rotary cutter, 80 gal.sprayer, disk, broadcast seeder, etc.) that are used regularly on an IH 424. Problem is, I'd like to trade for a JD 2020 for a bit more HP. I understand that bigger bushings will be needed, but will the dimensions match up to make these tools work smoothly on a cat 2 hitch? As far as a quick hitch, I haven't used on since these pieces are easy enough to just pin and go. Main concern is just smooth lifting operation. Thanks!

I have a Kubota L2050 cat 1 3 point, and most of my implements are matched to that tractor, I also have a New Holland 3010s that has flippable lift arms with cat 1 and cat 2 balls on either end, I have left it in cat 2 outward and just use the bushings and have never had an issue with even the narrowest of my cat 1 implements. However it is very easy to destroy a implement designed for a 25hp tractor when used behind a 45hp tractor. That is the issue I've run into. Also my six foot rotary cutter has cat 1 pins but is way too much cutter to use behind the Kubota.

Great info thanks, and yes, your point regarding hp is understood. Just wanted to make sure dimensions would line up without bending things. Doubting a 66 vintage has reversible arms but if all I need are bushings not a problem. Just hated to think about replacing all these implements!

Great info thanks, and yes, your point regarding hp is understood. Just wanted to make sure dimensions would line up without bending things. Doubting a 66 vintage has reversible arms but if all I need are bushings not a problem. Just hated to think about replacing all these implements!

Pto shaft length might be an issue, as cat 2 arms are typically a bit longer. If you currently have very short pto shaft
on something it might not be long enough for the cat 2. Usually there is enough overlap its fine, but....

I use cat 1 implements on my 2020 all the time. It has cat 2 balls on the telescoping draft links, they also had a couple types of solid draft links, with cat 2 balls. I use bushings to make up for the difference in the cat 1 pin and 2 ball sizes. The OEM top links has a special odd sized pin (about 25/32 instead of 3/4) at the tractor bracket. However, a regular 3/4 top link pin fits a bit loose but works ok so you can use a standard cat 1 top link of the length you need (or the OEM top link, if you have it, with a bushing to cat 1 on the implement end). The 2020 sway blocks can be repositioned for either cat 1 or 2 implements.

As noted, your PTO shaft(s) will need to be looked at to see that the overlap is still correct on the 2020. That is likely the biggest issue.

We used cat. 1 implements on 1020-2020 Deere tractors for years and never even bothered with the bushogs. If
it works on your 424 it will be fine on a 2020. On Deere tractors the cat 1 and 2 arms were the same length.
Tom

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back