How many remember the date you joined the service

DRAFTED, FEB 17, 66...BASIC, FT POLK, AIT FT.EUSTIS, SOC TRANG, VIET NAM 15 MOS, 1100 HRS, HUEY SLICK CREW CHIEF/DOOR GUNNER, 67N20...WUZ LOST THEN, TILL 46, LORD KEPT ME, ANYWAY...

For all you early '70s draftees, what was your lottery number? I was studying furiously to stay in college, and then got a 299 in the lottery. My roommate was flunking out and got a 3. He immediately joined the Navy. A sincere Thank You to all for covering for me. After the horror stories from my dad when he served in the Phillipines, he was ready to take me to Canada. 'Nam could not have been much fun. steve

Drafted into US Army shortly after graduating from Penn State (December 1967). Don't remember how much notice I was given. but by March 5, 1968 I was in the Army.

I will begin my post by saying that I never joined the service. With that fact given, you can stop reading right now if you wish. (But I thank all the people who DID serve!)
That being said, it was the summer of 1980 and I had just graduated from high school and was enrolled at an auto technician school that was scheduled to start that Fall, a couple of months away. I grew up on a dairy farm and there was ALWAYS stuff to do during the day and dad made sure I always had a long chore list for the day.
Anyway, one morning a local army recruiter called our number and wanted to talk to me. He called because I had just graduated from high school and he was just doing his job as a recruiter. He was wondering if he could talk to me that day. I told him that I was enrolled in an auto mechanics program that started in a few months, but if he came out to the farm, I would listen to him. He said he would be out at the farm that afternoon to give me his sales pitch and then hung up. So all that morning, I was open to the idea of joining the military. They could teach me mechanics or any other program that would suit my needs and I was pretty much okay with that. Matter-of-fact, I was also okay with Uncle Sam paying my schooling bills. I was actually looking forward to see what programs were available.
Well, that afternoon came and he never did show up. And, I never heard from him again. I guess he had met his monthly quota and forgot about me. :LOL: So that Fall, I did go to tech school and I've never regretted it.
But again, I thank all of you who did serve.

azpp; we overlapped fer a few years, where wuz you ??
I was Stationed in Lackland for basic , then to Chaunte Il , for tech school & basic , Then to Japan 58 to 60 . Then to Whiteman A.F.B. Mo. 60to64 , then to Elmendorf A.F.B . Alaska 65 t0 68 , 68 t0 69 Williams A.F. B. 1969 to70 Ubon Thailand . Then Clovis New Mexico for the l 7 year s until retirement .
Really enjoyed my time in .

Az peapicker

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back