I put up to hang parts on. When I restore a
tractor, I clean and prime all the parts I
can and then wait for a good day to paint
outside. I have better light and more room
to get at the parts at all angles. Any one
else hang it out?
cvphoto169058.jpg

cvphoto169059.jpg

It used to be an enamel would take eight to ten hours before it was dry to touch. This made it especially bad to paint outdoors but with today's paint isn't usually an issue.

I don't "hang out" I "hang in". I have a large enough shop that I can hang parts inside. Some are hung from two 2x4s with cross members that are held up by sticking the far end of the 2x4s into ends of pallets up on a pallet rack. I also have a rope affair for smaller jobs. I use very little alkyd enamel. For the amount of work that I have to put into it, I am just not interested in having it go dull in just 2-3 years. I use acrylic enamel.

How long do you let them set before painting? I used an epoxy primer on an engine but it was almost a year till I painted it. Came out nice but seems like I can scrape it off with a fingernail. I used a friend's garage where he painted cars and he gave me some kind of solvent to wipe everything down first. The primer was in a rattle can with a separate chamber for the activator and specified 24 hour recoat time.

How long do you let them set before painting? I used an epoxy primer on an engine but it was almost a year till I painted it. Came out nice but seems like I can scrape it off with a fingernail. I used a friend's garage where he painted cars and he gave me some kind of solvent to wipe everything down first. The primer was in a rattle can with a separate chamber for the activator and specified 24 hour recoat time.
Epoxy primer relies on a chemical bond to the topcoat to hold it solidly. The solvent vehicle component of the primer is part of that system After the recoat time is expired too much of the solvent is gone.

Epoxy primer relies on a chemical bond to the topcoat to hold it solidly. The solvent vehicle component of the primer is part of that system After the recoat time is expired too much of the solvent is gone.
What would be the solution for that if it has to sit without the topcoat for a time?

What would be the solution for that if it has to sit without the topcoat for a time?
As the label instructions state, skuff the surface with a scotch brite pad. This is simply substituting mechanical bond (scratches) for the chemical bond.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back