I was reading another post and someone mentioned the ignore feature.
If what I am thinking is correct I may have found a reason to like this modern forum setup.

So you are telling me this modern forum setup has the ability that I can eliminate 50 percent of the post on the first page of tractor talk (all puzzles) just by ignoring one person.
And this will allow the real discussion post to rise to the top of the list so I can see them.

Please sign me up and explain to me how I accomplish this task of ignoring someone.

I realize by ignoring this person I will be ignoring any and all post by this person even the real discussion post but I feel the end gain will be worth the loss.

I've not used it so I'm not well versed, but you can try it.

Locate a post by the person you want to ignore, hover the mouse cursor over their avatar or username. A box will pop up. Click the ignore button.

On phone it will be different since there is no hover. Someone else who uses a phone can describe that.

As to whether it will completely ignore a thread started by the individual ignored I am not sure, though that would seem to be the logical way to implement it. An admin account can't use an ignore as it would defeat the purpose of using an admin account.

To stop ignoring someone, you click on your username and select preferences, your ignore list is reached by clicking on the ignore link at the bottom of the left hand list of functions you can do in preferences.

The ignore feature does indeed hide threads started by the ignored.

But where to find your list of ignored users differs between PC's, tablets, and phones.

In the screenshot below the left column under Preferences has a link to the ignored.
And if you click your avatar in upper right it shows up there also.

But on my Android phone I can only find the ignore link if the phone is held horizontally when I click my upper right avatar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-03-10-07-12.png
    Screenshot_2024-02-03-10-07-12.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
There are several topics here that would benefit from being contained in one ongoing thread for each IMO.

The puzzles.

Earworm of the day.

Funny of the day.

Car show pictures.

Signs of the times.

Caption this.

There may be others. Good topics each and every one but I don't see the point in starting a new thread every day for each of them.

Last edited:
There are several topics here that would benefit from being contained in one ongoing thread for each IMO.

The puzzles.

Earworm of the day.

Funny of the day.

Car show pictures.

Signs of the times.

Caption this.

There may be others. Good topics each and every one but I don't see the point in starting a new thread every day for each of them.
That is exactly my thought too. The ignore is an extreme and loses desired content unless the person ignoring is specifically not wanting to see any posts by that person. I will try to come up with post here explaining how these regular feature threads would benefit from using a single signature thread. It's sure how I would do it if I were posting a regular daily or frequent feature.

The puzzles.

Earworm of the day.

Funny of the day.

Car show pictures.

Signs of the times.

Caption this.

Would be better if they were in a separate category below Talk or Tales.

"Daily Features like Jokes, Puzzles, Pictures, etc."
Or sum such.

That is exactly my thought too. The ignore is an extreme and loses desired content unless the person ignoring is specifically not wanting to see any posts by that person. I will try to come up with post here explaining how these regular feature threads would benefit from using a single signature thread. It's sure how I would do it if I were posting a regular daily or frequent feature.
Thanks for explaining how to use the function in your post above.

As far as putting all reoccurring post like Earworm of the day Funny of the day Car show pictures Signs of the times in one single post I do not think I would be for that.
It would only work in the modern forum setup where a new post to a thread moves it to the top of the list.
I have that turned off since you so kindly gave us the ability to lock sort by first message.

I really do not have a problem with the poster of the puzzles and really do not want to ignore him.
It is just that with over half the post on tractor talk being puzzles it is becoming just too much to dig through the puzzle post to find regular discussion post as they get pushed to page 2 or 3 real fast.

If he would limit his puzzles to one or two a day like the other reoccurring post I would not even be considering ignoring him.

"Daily Features like Jokes, Puzzles, Pictures, etc."
Or sum such.

If there's a problem with having them in Tractor Talk, then just request that they post them in Tales.
I personally don't care where they're at. I look forward to seeing all those threads each day.

The easiest way to ignore someone's posts is simply to scroll past them and click on something else! You people are way overthinking this!

I just put a sticky in defining how people can do recurring threads rather than fragmenting the single topic into many posts.

On the subject of what is/isn't appropriate: Many reoccurring threads often don't belong in Tales and in fact some tales posters would dislike them being there, I gave an example of one that definitely doesn't belong there (a restoration thread that the entire world, members or not, should be able to see but some tales folk would find intrusive). I also gave an example of where one would squarely belong in Tales (ongoing kitchen remodel). The issue of on-topic versus off-topic is one for the mods to take up and it gets a little complex. Our former policy was that people could make their own decision on what was on and off topic. Of course that is spotty since it is up to the adult who posts, but we've already been about as draconian as people can stomach with our rules ;).

There is also the issue that the majority of people reading the tractor oriented softer topics, like tractor puzzles, photos and jokes are not members, meaning they would no longer be able to read them. Tales is a private members-only forum and the level of personal discussion people engage in, has to be protected from search engine access. Like if people talk about an illness they have, which of course they do and want to, that's inappropriate to be spidered by the search engines since it's very personal stuff. Thus it has to be members only. But I personally found out how important the puzzles and photos are to non-members who may be disabled in some manner and come daily just to do the puzzles and look at the pictures. Those features are giving a lot to these very advanced age tractor lovers even though they were under the radar. They have to be public.

Anyway, you guys might take a look at my sticky and see if it is understandable since that might start to ease this issue, improve the recurring features... represents a win-win for all.

@DoubleO7 That is an interesting idea though one for the mods. It would require new types of restrictions to make sure people didn't post chit-chat or one off threads, but only posted periodic features (so it becomes another moderation task, a special set of rules and maybe even special privileges for regular recurring posters).

If there's a problem with having them in Tractor Talk, then just request that they post them in Tales.
I personally don't care where they're at. I look forward to seeing all those threads each day.

The easiest way to ignore someone's posts is simply to scroll past them and click on something else! You people are way overthinking this!

But I don't want to go to page two or three to find something I actually want to read.
Scrolling and going to the next page is so difficult and should not be required!
And even if another answer is made to a previous thread, I don't want to accidentally click on that thread and waste 30 minutes before I realize I already read the thread.

:oops: :cry::cry::cry:

"Daily Features like Jokes, Puzzles, Pictures, etc.
Separate category, below Talk or Tales but not part of Talk or Tales.
Not in one thread either.
Would be another category just like all the new categories that were added for manufacturers.

Separate category, below Talk or Tales but not part of Talk or Tales.
Not in one thread either.
Would be another category just like all the new categories that were added for manufacturers.

I agree they should be separate threads.

"Scrolling and going to the next page is so difficult and should not be required!"

Why is that? Is it something to do with a phone? I don't use one, so have no knowledge of that. On the computer it's no problem.

As far as putting all reoccurring post like Earworm of the day Funny of the day Car show pictures Signs of the times in one single post I do not think I would be for that.

That's not what I said though.

I said a thread for each topic. I did not say put them all in one thread.

By the way, when I qouted you I replied to a post in a thread.

Personally, I recently discovered the ignore button and have made good use of it. There are a number of "regulars" here who post (often numerous) things every day that frankly don't fit the bill of what I come here for. I've seen the ignore button many times but never really knew what it meant until I read an explanation in a thread on this very forum some time back.

I must say I like it! Since I no longer scan just a few select forums on Classic View and now peruse new posts instead, the ignore feature has cleaned up a lot of what to me was clutter and has certainly shortened the page.

Personally, I recently discovered the ignore button and have made good use of it. There are a number of "regulars" here who post (often numerous) things every day that frankly don't fit the bill of what I come here for. I've seen the ignore button many times but never really knew what it meant until I read an explanation in a thread on this very forum some time back.

I must say I like it! Since I no longer scan just a few select forums on Classic View and now peruse new posts instead, the ignore feature has cleaned up a lot of what to me was clutter and has certainly shortened the page.
It sounds as if you have verified that if a poster is in the ignored status and starts a thread, that thread will not appear in the thread list. If so, that is a valuable piece of information for some thinking of using the ignore feature.

Actually, I have only ignored one poster so far. That was probably a week or so back, and have not seen one post with that name come up since on any forums or pages I've visited. That's good enough for me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back