Ih 606 not starting

Jnipper

New User
I recently installed a new ta pressure plate on my ih 606. It started right up and ran great for several days. Multiple starts. Yesterday I went to start it and it will barely turn over and makes a grinding noise. I’ve checked the normal stuff and no luck. New fully charged battery, even hooked it up to two batteries. Removed starter and bench tested and tore down and cleaned starter. Pulled glow plugs to remove compression off engine. When I pulled the glow plugs she did spin a little faster but not much and she still made a grinding noise. Any suggestions on what else to check. Thanks.

Are you sure there is no cracks on the starter nose piece letting it move out of position under load when cranking? Did you have the flywheel off the crankshaft? Are you sure you got it back on and tightened correctly? Make the same noise clutch up or down? Not there to hear it so I suggest to pull it a few feet in 5th with TA in direct see if just turning the engine without the starter makes the same noise.

Are you sure there is no cracks on the starter nose piece letting it move out of position under load when cranking? Did you have the flywheel off the crankshaft? Are you sure you got it back on and tightened correctly? Make the same noise clutch up or down? Not there to hear it so I suggest to pull it a few feet in 5th with TA in direct see if just turning the engine without the starter makes the same noise.
I did not check for cracks on the starter nose. I did not remove the flywheel. And it makes the noise clutch up and down. I am going to try to get it out and pull it with the truck tomorrow and see what she does. Naturally she’s sitting in a spot that will be hard to get to with the truck.

Can you pinpoint the grinding noise and/or describe it better? Different grinding noises and where they're coming from point at different problems. For example, if the grinding noise is coming from the area of the starter, it is likely the starter not engaging the ring gear on the flywheel properly.

She pulled started perfectly this morning with no grinding sound. I think the starter is bad even though it bench tested fine. Going to have to spend some money. Thanks for the help. I still have a lot to learn on this old equipment

She pulled started perfectly this morning with no grinding sound. I think the starter is bad even though it bench tested fine. Going to have to spend some money. Thanks for the help. I still have a lot to learn on this old equipment
it is unclear if this griding is happening before the starter engages or when the engine is turning over the way u have it worded. sure sounds like a bad drive to me. bench testing does not test the drive. but the starter drive will kick in meaning fly outward and spin like crazy. that drive clutch is most likely shot in the drive. you should be able to spin the clutch backwards with your thumb , but it should grab forward and it should be tight. but if unexperienced you kinda won't know either what i mean. good luck.

if its not the starter then it might be this thingy that broke.:LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_5808.JPG
    IMG_5808.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 25

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back