IH 656 head gasket failure.

UncleTom

My brother has a IH 656 that supposedly had a cracked head. Had a country repair shop send the head away and had it welded and put back together. It didnt last a week. He waited a year or so and had the same shop put another head gasket in. It didnt last a week. It is building up pressure and its pushing it out the radiator cap is what i think my brother said. The first time it was blowing coolant out the exhaust. He said the head gasket looked like a thin metal gasket. Shouldn't the head gasket be better quality than that???? I told him what some one on here said. Chas e all threads and use a certain head gasket. What would that gasket be. This is BS to me and he doesnt complain about it. Something is wrong.

Head gaskets are very common problems with that engine if it a diesel? Things must be flat, correct gasket used and proper procedure used to install it or they will leak as fast as they can be installed. No way for anyone here to know if it's the gasket or the head or or the block or the installation process but There will be guesses thrown out if like usual. Go to the Farmall forum here and wait for Tractor Vet to reply is my recommendation.

The gasket must take into account the sleeve protrusion of the engine design. this amounts to thousandths of an inch of the sleeve upper flange being above the deck height of the block. a sheet metal gasket is (opinion) not the best at compensating for this offset. Jim

So what are we having issues with here a D282 or the C 263 . ?????? D 282 how are the sleeve heights ??? they all with in a couple thou. ?? whats the block deck look like ????? has the head been refaced????? did they use a JUNK head gskt ??? did they clean an d chase the bolt holes in the block??? Did they check the head bolts for stretching ??? , did they do a HOT retorque and what i mean by HOT full operating temp where the block and head are at 180-210 degrees not just water temp and did the go back over the center 6 bolts after the retorque yea ya need to do that so what ya are really doing is doing it 2 and a 1/2 times . If it's a gasser mqan unless ya can ge a OEM Victor head gskt. they just keep on leaking and seeping Fel PRO is nothing but JUNK> . I H can be a pain to work on if ya don't know all the qurkes . Some guys work on everything and get by but to know everything bout one brand then that is what you work on 99% of the time and each one will have it's own issues to work out . Not being there doing the work and checking everything i know and can not see myself we are shooting in the dark .

Gas or diesel those diesel engines are quite particular when it comes to the head gasket replacement. Tapping the bolt holes and making sure bolt threads are clean is a must. In this case I would recommend a new set of head bolts. They do not have to come from CaseIH, do a web search IH if it is a diesel ..D-282 head bolts.. and options come up, I bet if you call All States Ag Parts they could get a set. (gas is a C-263) Also I will echo what the Tractor Vet says about the hot re-torque, it is a pain but to get an optimal gasket seal it is a must. Sleeve protrusion is also important. Hopefully this repair shop is giving him some type of discount for do over work.

Regarding the gasket itself, without seeing it its just a guess, but there are steel gaskets that look like shims that are actually a sandwich folded over some gasket material. A single thickness shim with seals COULD work, as Cummins did with the 855, but that small engine is more likely to be a sandwich with integral seals. A big part of diagnosis is carefully removing the gasket and see where it failed. Would be even more beneficial if they had saved the parts from a year ago to see if it failed in the same place. That would offer a clue as to the next move.

Tractor vet can you open your e-mail or send me one where we can discuss this , I have a lot of IH experience . thanks Jerry watkins

Unless things have changed recently, the "junk" FelPro gasket is your only choice.

All the NOS "good" Victor head gaskets are gone, and nobody else but FelPro makes a gasket for a D282 anymore.

You can hem and haw about sleeve protrusion and how flat the deck is but if you can't get a good head gasket, you're doomed to failure over and over and over until you get sick of it and junk the tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back