IH 674 gas - convert to electronic ignition? Worth it?

Near as I can tell you still haven't stated what, if any, problems you are having with the tractor...

One nice thing about the old points and condenser setup is, you probably have a perfectly good old set of points and condenser in the toolbox from the last time it was changed out. Spares on hand to get you going in a pinch. If the Pertronix goes out, and it happens more often than it should, you're dead in the water.

I don’t know why the Hall effect sensor would go up in smoke… there’s no power going to it. It generates pulses so the module knows what position the distributor shaft is in.

There is power going through it because you wire the coil in series with it. It is the same as a set of points when it is wired to the coil. All the voltage has to flow through the module and is grounded there.

I don’t know why the Hall effect sensor would go up in smoke… there’s no power going to it. It generates pulses so the module knows what position the distributor shaft is in.
On the contrary, Hall-effect sensors DO require power. They are a type of transistor that is sensitive to magnetism, which affects their "gain" or "beta" and require power to operate. (Vs. a simple magnetic pickup" consisting of a coil of wire on an iron core and a magnet.)

It would have been more accurate if the other fellow had stated that the "modules" let their smoke out, rather that pointing at the little Hall-effect sensor that is only ONE component in the system, most likely it's a power transistor that gives up it's smoke.

The only thing that destroys the model is leaving the switch on without the tractor running. Petronix tech said that will kill the module really fast. Suppression wires are just a big resister to reduce the magnetic field around the wire so it does not interfere with radios and communication signals.

''Suppression wires are just a big resister to reduce the magnetic field around the wire so it does not interfere with radios and communication signals.''

I think in this case it's reasonable to assume suppression wires reduce high voltage spikes that ultimately back feed through the coil and can ZAP the relatively fragile module.

On the contrary, Hall-effect sensors DO require power. They are a type of transistor that is sensitive to magnetism, which affects their "gain" or "beta" and require power to operate. (Vs. a simple magnetic pickup" consisting of a coil of wire on an iron core and a magnet.)

It would have been more accurate if the other fellow had stated that the "modules" let their smoke out, rather that pointing at the little Hall-effect sensor that is only ONE component in the system, most likely it's a power transistor that gives up it's smoke.
Well I must admit I generalized a bit. Never laid eyes on petronix systems but what I was describing was Ford and GM HEI , which were checked with AC volt meter while cranking , and they generated a small amount of electricity. Pretty much like the speed monitors on a combine.

Well I must admit I generalized a bit. Never laid eyes on petronix systems but what I was describing was Ford and GM HEI , which were checked with AC volt meter while cranking , and they generated a small amount of electricity. Pretty much like the speed monitors on a combine.
You are, for sure, correct about the older Ford and GM systems.

2Oej6gl.jpeg

Here's a typical Pertronix module, the Hall-effect pickup, the circuitry, and the output transistor are all in the little module, the only additional part needed is the "trigger wheel" with a tiny magnet for each cylinder.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back