Information wanted on International 186 Planter

Oliver770WY

New User
I found a 186 International planter at an auction. I am looking at using it to plant sorghum patches, going to try growing sweet sorghum to make into syrup. I don't know much about these old planters as dad had gone to a cyclo 500 by the time I was old enough to remember and help on the farm. I have no experience with growing sorghum or dryland, but that's for another topic I believe. Questions: Can the 186 plant sorghum? Do they place seeds for a good stand? I am going to be using the family Oliver 770 dad gave me to pull it. I am going to start with 1 acre or less patches and go from there based on success or failure. Thanks for the replys.

If you look down a bit there is a thread on an international 295 planter, which is generally the same family and very similar parts and operation. With the same questions. You might enjoy the replies there.

In short, yes. Finding the parts might be spendy for specialty seeds these days.

Paul

From what I can tell looking at pictures the 186 is quite a bit different than the 185/295 planters. The x95 planters are very similar to the popular Deere 71 unit planter but the 186 appears to be an older generation model. All IH planters used the same seed plates and these would still be commonly available, notably from Lincoln Ag Products. Note that the seed plates to singulate sorghum seed require the use of a filler plate which Lincoln Ag also can provide.

The concern I'd have is how the 186 is described below: "Equipped with IH rotary valve, combination hopper, ...". A "rotary valve" to me means that this unit is designed for hill-dropping corn but I'm not sure what a "combination hopper" is. You'd want to make sure that the planter could be set up for regular single-drop planting and that the combination hopper isn't something special that would prevent using the standard IH plates.

IH 186 planter.JPG

I would hope it comes with disk openers, and not those furrow openers; in my type of dirt. Those type of furrow openers pictured were fine in some Sandy type soils in years past, and so might work in such places. Disk openers are just so much better.

The flat chain and the flat chain sprockets will be harder to find of you need them for that older model, yes. If you need something different than what it comes with for changing speeds.

In the other thread they suggest the backer plates and any needed new plates are pretty spendy. So look around at what you need to get to where you want to be.

When I bought my 295 bean planter with 13 row units on it, I went to the old time Imternational dealer and asked about plates. The parts guy went upstairs and came down with a broom, filled with planter plates filling the broomstick tot he top. He said &5 a piece which ones and how many? That was maybe 15 years ago, I don’t know if such dealerships are left any more with old stuff upstairs.

Paul

Can the 186 plant sorghum? Do they place seeds for a good stand?
Yes, it can. I have a two row 186, and like it quite a bit. They are a hill-drop planter, but they can be set up for straight drilling of seed by disconnecting the hill drop rotor and inserting drilling shields that keep the seed from getting caught on the rotor lugs. Mine is set up that way, and always gives me a good stand of corn. I have planted a little milo with mine, and it came up solid and stood good, but it was only a small plot so I can't say how well the planter does over a larger area. I have it set 1:1 on the gear ratio, and use 16 cell plates and get an 8-10 inch spacing on 36" rows. That's about right for our part of the world, and last year thanks to good rain and weather made right at 90 bushel/acre. Not a record but darn good for hill country corn.

but I'm not sure what a "combination hopper" is. You'd want to make sure that the planter could be set up for regular single-drop planting and that the combination hopper isn't something special that would prevent using the standard IH plates.
The combination hopper is what IH called it's "standard" corn and soybean planter hopper bottoms, as opposed to specialty hopper bottoms for things like beets, peanuts, and cotton. They all take the standard IH plates; sorghum plates can be found on eBay, they are somewhat more expensive than corn and bean plates ($25/ea vs $10/ea for corn/bean plates), but are available. Still, a good planter and one that will last a long time no more than you aim to use it. The only thing I don't like about my 186 is the runner openers; I'd prefer to have disk openers for those times I have a little residue left in the field. If you do decide to buy it, make sure and get a manual for it. It tells you a lot of helpful things regarding setting it up, gear ratios, seeding rates, etc.

Mac

Thanks for all the reply's. The one I am watching does have disc openers on it and the auction page shows it also has the manual for it. Soil here is pretty sandy. Below 1 1/2 feet is like pea gravel on my place. Have to see what it ends up going for.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back