International 574 issue running in run position

joew1017

New User
My neighbors diesel 574 stopped running in anything but start position. when you let the lever move to run it stalls out I'm out of ideas.

My neighbors diesel 574 stopped running in anything but start position. when you let the lever move to run it stalls out I'm out of ideas.
To start with, remove the metal supply line from where it feeds fuel into the top of the fuel filter housing. It needs to have a steady pipe full flowing from this point of supply. I have had instances where a piece of debris partially covered the outlet in the bottom of the tank to supply this line. It may be necessary to blow backwards into the tank to clear the obstruction from the point of removal of this line at the filter housing. The next step is when were the last time the fuel filters were changed and bled out of air all the way around to the injection pump on other side of the engine? That can do this also. Another possibility is the stop / start / run cable has slipped adjustment on one end or the other, but I've never seen this happen often. Hope this helps.

My 574 gasser had the same type issue - The problem was bottom of the gas tank, right where the glass bowl screws in - Gotta take it out & get the crud out.

crsutton has it. only check for obsrtuctions in the banjo fittings along the line also. I found a piece of some kind of junk in one of the connections at the banjo fitting on a newer model with the same set up on the fuel lines. After it was out it bled fine and ran well.

Another problem could be the fuel line that goes from the second fuel filter around the front of the engine to the injection pump, if this line has a steel braided part over rubber the rubber could have collapsed and restricting fuel fuel flow. Replace with all steel line.

Yours is a classic symptom of an ignition circuit with 12 volt battery, 6 volt coil, and a dropping resistor to reduce voltage/current from battery to 6 volt coil.

Often times there is a wire from start circuit or switch to bypass the resistor and give hotter spark for starting. If the resistor fails voltage will get to the coil when engine cranks, but when it starts and switch is turned back to run to disengage the starter operating voltage is lost through the defective resistor and engine dies.

574 wiring diagrams I have are vague on the ignition circuit. I see an R terminal on start solenoid with 2 wires, one of them going to coil and the other going up through a plug to the ignition switch. I believe the wire from starter solenoid to the plug contains the resistive element and that wire could be bad.

Yours is a classic symptom of an ignition circuit with 12 volt battery, 6 volt coil, and a dropping resistor to reduce voltage/current from battery to 6 volt coil.

Often times there is a wire from start circuit or switch to bypass the resistor and give hotter spark for starting. If the resistor fails voltage will get to the coil when engine cranks, but when it starts and switch is turned back to run to disengage the starter operating voltage is lost through the defective resistor and engine dies.

574 wiring diagrams I have are vague on the ignition circuit. I see an R terminal on start solenoid with 2 wires, one of them going to coil and the other going up through a plug to the ignition switch. I believe the wire from starter solenoid to the plug contains the resistive element and that wire could be bad.
Correct answer right here!! Jim

sorry for the late reply working long hours, But thanks guys I have cleared every fuel line all the way to the injection pump. I get a strong stream at the banjo on the injection pump but still wont run when the lever moves up to the run position. It will run fine but wont idle up or down very much in start position. The idle will slow down as you go closer to run then eventually just dies I'm leaning towards a injection pump issue I get plenty of fuel if I crack the lines at the head of the pump and at the injectors but only in the start position in the run all fuel shuts off.

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply working long hours, But thanks guys I have cleared every fuel line all the way to the injection pump. I get a strong stream at the banjo on the injection pump but still wont run when the lever moves up to the run position. It will run fine but wont idle up or down very much in start position. The idle will slow down as you go closer to run then eventually just dies I'm leaning towards a injection pump issue I get plenty of fuel if I crack the lines at the head of the pump and at the injectors but only in the start position in the run all fuel shuts off.
Is there any change with the top, throttle lever moved at all? My Hydro 84 will surge up/down at the START position, then settle down when lever is moved fully forward to the stop. Has EITHER of the two levers been removed from the pump? They MIGHT not be on correctly, I've had to move them sometimes when setting calibration on the test stand.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back