JD 2350 air in fuel line

Unfortunately, new transfer pump hose and fittings all the way around have not done the trick so the problem lies elsewhere. When I replaced the old original fuel filter that was on the tractor with a new one after many starts at that time, it died on me because of air in the fuel, I purged it as per instructions in the owners manual and it started and ran fine until now. For some reason or another I am suspicious of something going on with the drain plug or the fuel filter housing itself, so have attached a photo of the housing without the fuel filter on it wondering if anybody sees anything amiss. Also, I wonder if I disconnect the fuel line from the fuel tank , fill something like a milk jug with diesel fuel put the fuel line in and pump the transfer pump and see if air is still going to the fuel filter.. if air is still present then that may eliminate a problem from the fuel tank? May I ask what is the proper technique for taking off the spring loaded clip that holds the filter on I am using a screwdriver underneath the back portion of the clip on the housing to wedge it up. at any rate if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts I’m all ears, thank you very much.
I still believe the air is getting induced at or before the transfer pump. The transfer pump sends pressurized fuel to the filter. Iwould expect to see some wetness if there was leak at any point after the transfer pump.

How much fuel is in the tank? That tractor does not pull fuel from the bottom of the tank, it has a pick tube incorporated with the fuel gauge sender from what I see in the parts book. There is a possibility there is a crack or rust hole in that pickup tube and when the fuel level in the tank is below the crack it would suck air.

Setting up a nurse tank (milk jug as you mentioned) with a hose to the inlet of the fuel pump and running the engine off that is one way to check this theory. Another way is to fill the tank to a level above the fuel sender and see if the air bubbles clear. You could remove the sender/pickup, plug one end of the pickup tube and apply air pressure to the other end and check for cracks.

Ok makes sense..thx. As best I can remember I put in an initial couple of gallons because I was just getting started with the tractor. then after the electrical end of things stabilize somewhat I might’ve put another four or 5 gallons in..don’t really know how much is in there though, when I look into the tank I can’t tell, so tomorrow I’ll clean off a suitable measuring stick and see if I can ascertain how much fuel is in it, and if it looks like it comes to the level of the sending unit. I think it’s slightly easier to just add a few gallons more to the tank and see what happens than to take off the fuel line ,clean out a milk jug, etc.. thanks for your thoughts

Ok makes sense..thx. As best I can remember I put in an initial couple of gallons because I was just getting started with the tractor. then after the electrical end of things stabilize somewhat I might’ve put another four or 5 gallons in..don’t really know how much is in there though, when I look into the tank I can’t tell, so tomorrow I’ll clean off a suitable measuring stick and see if I can ascertain how much fuel is in it, and if it looks like it comes to the level of the sending unit. I think it’s slightly easier to just add a few gallons more to the tank and see what happens than to take off the fuel line ,clean out a milk jug, etc.. thanks for your thoughts
If that eliminates the bubbles you will need to drain fuel to below the sending unit to pull it out. gravity should do that by taking the fuel line off the pump and draining it down into a bucket. Or the sump in the bottom of the tank is supposed to have a drain valve.

Well, I put about 2 1/2 gallons fuel in the tank and still had champagne bubbles. Master mechanic that I am I finally thought to tighten up the radiator hose clamps once again on the new fuel lines. I did that twice. Also tightened up the drain hole and that did the trick except for one bubble that I cannot get rid of, it looks like the shape of the bubble in a smallish carpenter level. I don’t see, or hear air escaping the bleed hole anymore.. I cracked the number two injector and had fuel there , also the number one injector, still would not start. I would not say that the fuel was copiously coming out of the injectors, but it was definitely present. starter and wiring started getting hot so I’ve stopped for the day. also to charge the battery. The battery is 650 cold cranking amps 800 at 32°. I would not say it spins it with gusto but the dozens of times that I have started it before it’s fired right off. I would ask when purging air from the fuel filter is it recommended to leave the bleed screw slightly open when cranking? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Well, I put about 2 1/2 gallons fuel in the tank and still had champagne bubbles. Master mechanic that I am I finally thought to tighten up the radiator hose clamps once again on the new fuel lines. I did that twice. Also tightened up the drain hole and that did the trick except for one bubble that I cannot get rid of, it looks like the shape of the bubble in a smallish carpenter level. I don’t see, or hear air escaping the bleed hole anymore.. I cracked the number two injector and had fuel there , also the number one injector, still would not start. I would not say that the fuel was copiously coming out of the injectors, but it was definitely present. starter and wiring started getting hot so I’ve stopped for the day. also to charge the battery. The battery is 650 cold cranking amps 800 at 32°. I would not say it spins it with gusto but the dozens of times that I have started it before it’s fired right off. I would ask when purging air from the fuel filter is it recommended to leave the bleed screw slightly open when cranking? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
I use the lever on the side of the transfer pump with the bleeder open until the air is out of the filter. Cranking before the filter is full is just putting air towards the injection pump.

Yes, that’s what I’m doing. Thank you Jim,the bubble that I see is to the right of the retaining clip on the upper part of the filter, no matter how much I pump it will not move. not the greatest mechanic here, but I’m stumped. wondering if you have any suggestions thanks Danc.

Yes, that’s what I’m doing. Thank you Jim,the bubble that I see is to the right of the retaining clip on the upper part of the filter, no matter how much I pump it will not move. not the greatest mechanic here, but I’m stumped. wondering if you have any suggestions thanks Danc.
If it is small, it may be above the bleeder port and should not bother. If the bubbles have stopped coming the way they were, and that one is just setting there and not changing, you are on the right track.

Hi guys, thanks for the help. Finally got it running! lol, it seemed worse than it actually was… due to the fact that I put more fuel in but didn’t tighten the radiator hose clamps enough on the fuel line, I don’t know which was the culprit, the transfer pump or a leak from the fuel line in the tank. The tractor gave me plenty of advanced warning it was running out of fuel, I just didn’t catch it so if I hear so much as a hiccup out of it I will assume it is fuel tank fuel line issue.. hoping it was the transfer pump as I have already fixed that, and not the fuel tank..l don’t know if there’s a better way to do it but when I first got the tractor the fuel in it was unbelievable filthy so I drained it. Put more diesel and drained that so hopefully it’s clean enough… but it’s running and I’m very grateful for all the help. Thanks.

Hi guys, thanks for the help. Finally got it running! lol, it seemed worse than it actually was… due to the fact that I put more fuel in but didn’t tighten the radiator hose clamps enough on the fuel line, I don’t know which was the culprit, the transfer pump or a leak from the fuel line in the tank. The tractor gave me plenty of advanced warning it was running out of fuel, I just didn’t catch it so if I hear so much as a hiccup out of it I will assume it is fuel tank fuel line issue.. hoping it was the transfer pump as I have already fixed that, and not the fuel tank..l don’t know if there’s a better way to do it but when I first got the tractor the fuel in it was unbelievable filthy so I drained it. Put more diesel and drained that so hopefully it’s clean enough… but it’s running and I’m very grateful for all the help. Thanks.
If the bubbles return as the fuel gets low in the tank, I will suggest pulling the sender/pickup tube and checking the tube for cracks. I hope it was just the clamps. Good luck.

Yes, my thought too about the bubbles, course I could take the cheap easy way out and just keep the tank really full and not have to worry about it… temporarily… there’s a hydraulic leak ,fittings that won’t take grease etc .. for now I think I’ll move onto them ..would’ve spun my wheels for a while before I finally found out what the problem was with electrical and fuel! so again thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back