JD 300-J year serial number service manual help

scootergmc

Hello all, a friend is working on a JD 300-J industrial loader, with a 3 point and a 540rpm PTO. He's looking for a service manual and I can't find one that covers this exact model. On the tag the type says 300-J, followed by the serial number of 166696T. I'm having a heck of a time identifying the exact year and model. Can anyone help? Does the 300 service manual SM-2073 cover this model or is there another?

Hello all, a friend is working on a JD 300-J industrial loader, with a 3 point and a 540rpm PTO. He's looking for a service manual and I can't find one that covers this exact model. On the tag the type says 300-J, followed by the serial number of 166696T. I'm having a heck of a time identifying the exact year and model. Can anyone help? Does the 300 service manual SM-2073 cover this model or is there another?
This is the tag on the side of the transmission you are looking at, correct?

Hopefully someone will come along with better info for you. In the meantime, this may help. I don't know of an open publication of the industrial serial numbers, like we have for Ag tractors. The 166696 number puts it in the 1973 build year of 350 and 450 crawler s/n lists I access. From looking for other industrial tractor build years in the past they seem to fall in with the crawlers, so I would say 1973. You can look at auction sites to compare the serial numbers to the years they show for an idea as well.

I don't see a J used looking at the serial number info in 300 introduction document in the JD Parts Catalog PC972, and the type of format is different on the serial number tag. The 300 used a type series like: 4W1C, then the 6-digit number. The 300-J look like he may have a later 300 related to the 301 (which used that type of format), as it appears there was overlap in build years. The 301 used a J to designate Diesel, Collar shift Transmission with reverser and a Loader.

He may want TM1087 for the 300B. You can call the JD Construction and Forestry Bookstore and ask them (have the tractor info in hand when you do). Here is a link to the site, scroll down the page and you will see the help box on the left side. click on that and there is a phone number and other contact info.

JD Construction and Forestry Bookstore

This is the tag on the side of the transmission you are looking at, correct?

Hopefully someone will come along with better info for you. In the meantime, this may help. I don't know of an open publication of the industrial serial numbers, like we have for Ag tractors. The 166696 number puts it in the 1973 build year of 350 and 450 crawler s/n lists I access. From looking for other industrial tractor build years in the past they seem to fall in with the crawlers, so I would say 1973. You can look at auction sites to compare the serial numbers to the years they show for an idea as well.

I don't see a J used looking at the serial number info in 300 introduction document in the JD Parts Catalog PC972, and the type of format is different on the serial number tag. The 300 used a type series like: 4W1C, then the 6-digit number. The 300-J look like he may have a later 300 related to the 301 (which used that type of format), as it appears there was overlap in build years. The 301 used a J to designate Diesel, Collar shift Transmission with reverser and a Loader.

He may want TM1087 for the 300B. You can call the JD Construction and Forestry Bookstore and ask them (have the tractor info in hand when you do). Here is a link to the site, scroll down the page and you will see the help box on the left side. click on that and there is a phone number and other contact info.

JD Construction and Forestry Bookstore

Thanks. Here is the tag (if I can get it to load):

Attachments

• IMG_20240406_100957319.jpg
    IMG_20240406_100957319.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Thanks. Here is the tag (if I can get it to load):
To me that reinforces that it is a later 300 as that type format first shows with the 301. When the introduction document with the 300B Parts catalog that type format is shown with 301 in the picture. Does his tractor have the options I posted for the J previously?

To me that reinforces that it is a later 300 as that type format first shows with the 301. When the introduction document with the 300B Parts catalog that type format is shown with 301 in the picture. Does his tractor have the options I posted for the J previously?

I'm reaching the end of my knowledge. I was tasked with the fuel pump and manual. I believe it has the F/R lever on the left side of the column, it is a 3 cyl. diesel, and it has twin sticks between the operator's feet. I *think* it has a throttle foot pedal on the right side next to both brake pedals... that's about what I know. Sorry. I won't be able to see the tractor until late next week.

I'm reaching the end of my knowledge. I was tasked with the fuel pump and manual. I believe it has the F/R lever on the left side of the column, it is a 3 cyl. diesel, and it has twin sticks between the operator's feet. I *think* it has a throttle foot pedal on the right side next to both brake pedals... that's about what I know. Sorry. I won't be able to see the tractor until late next week.
That sounds like the J option shown for the 301: diesel, collar shift transmission (two sticks) with a reverser (handle under the steering wheel), and a loader. I would call the bookstore and put the question to them. I am thinking the TM1087 might be a better fit than the SM2073 manual. If the tag is still on the loader, you should have the numbers from it as well that might help if they had different model loaders on them. You might want to ask about which parts catalog as well PC972 for the 300 or the PC1482 for the 300B. Or they might have others.

That sounds like the J option shown for the 301: diesel, collar shift transmission (two sticks) with a reverser (handle under the steering wheel), and a loader. I would call the bookstore and put the question to them. I am thinking the TM1087 might be a better fit than the SM2073 manual. If the tag is still on the loader, you should have the numbers from it as well that might help if they had different model loaders on them. You might want to ask about which parts catalog as well PC972 for the 300 or the PC1482 for the 300B. Or they might have others.

Thank you for the assistance.

Late 1972 or early 1973 model 300. The 300Bs start at 192081. Either of the manuals they mention will probably work they are essentially the same Dubuque tractor. I’d pick that early SM 2073 it will have better pictures and more detail and keep in mind that it’s a later one and you might run up on differences at least there’s enough description to see if you are going down the right path. Casting numbers will be your friend. Early parts book should be right too.

Update: Well I called JD technical bookstore.

They couldn't find the model or serial either. They were very helpful and suspected it could be a former municipality/government contract tractor. They said I should contact a dealer and have them open a DTAC with the engineers and that would give us the best information. I've been relying on the specs of the 300 series so far. Transmission/Hydraulic capacity appears to be around 9-10 gallons and that was his primary concern. So he's getting by for now.

Update: Well I called JD technical bookstore.

They couldn't find the model or serial either. They were very helpful and suspected it could be a former municipality/government contract tractor. They said I should contact a dealer and have them open a DTAC with the engineers and that would give us the best information. I've been relying on the specs of the 300 series so far. Transmission/Hydraulic capacity appears to be around 9-10 gallons and that was his primary concern. So he's getting by for now.
Did he check the oil level in the transmission? In case he doesn't have this info. There is a dipstick at the rear of the right-side running board. Run the engine for two to three minutes, all hydraulics attachments lowered. With the engine running at a low idle, unscrew the dipstick, remove it, and wipe it off. Install it with the cap setting on the top of the threads, not screwed down. The level should be between the two marks.

Did he check the oil level in the transmission? In case he doesn't have this info. There is a dipstick at the rear of the right-side running board. Run the engine for two to three minutes, all hydraulics attachments lowered. With the engine running at a low idle, unscrew the dipstick, remove it, and wipe it off. Install it with the cap setting on the top of the threads, not screwed down. The level should be between the two marks.
Thank you. I let him know. He also wants to know about this thing. It leaks from the top. He wants to know how it comes apart, etc. he thinks it's some sort of hydraulic accumulator or something.

IMG_20240420_095540197.jpg

Round object is a hyd oil accumulator. Repair kit I located for a model 300 is part # AR46054

Thank you that is very helpful, but that part # you gave appears to be for the accumulator itself. Do you have the kit number or do I order using that main part number? Thank you.

OOPS sorry for my mistake I don't know why I posted that original part #.. I'll try again see both photos. Note parts catalog mentions a serial #
Screenshot 2024-04-20 145547.png
Screenshot 2024-04-20 150451.png

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back