JD M stalls

Jarrod32

I have a 49 M that runs well, for the most part. When I first got it, it would lose power and stall out. I figured it was either not getting enough gas or it was getting too much and flooding out. I went through the fuel line from tank to carb...replaced the sediment bowl (it was leaking anyway), replaced the in-line filter that was there, and made sure the lines were clear and clean. No problem. It ran very well for a long while, so I thought I had the problem solved. But it did it to me again today. I opened the drain cock on the bottom of the carb, started it up (it started right away), closed the drain cock and went about my day with no further problems.

I figure I need to get into the carb...maybe it it sticking from time to time and getting flooded? Before I do that, I thought I would check with the hive mind here to see if anyone else has experienced this and what else I may be overlooking....

What do you see in the sediment bowel? Your gas may have moisture in it. When you drain the carburetor you remove the water that settles to the bottom.

What do you see in the sediment bowel? ...

Well, that was either a Freudian slip or a very apt description of the function of the glass separator. I think I'm going to start using that term since I've seen a lot of crap in those "bowels" in the past.

If grit, sludge, sediment, or water got through there and into the carb bowl, pulling that drain plug could have mostly resolved it. It may eventually need a thorough cleaning, but some harder running on clean fuel (maybe ethanol) couldn't hurt either.

Try running it with the gas cap loose. I had an MT that would run good and then just die. The vent in the cap must have plugged up when I loosened the cap it ran good again. Worth a try

I thought about the gas cap...I had that issue with a Ford 8N a while back. The problem is so rare, as it only happens once in a great while, that it is hard to replicate to eliminate different possibilities. And it is a pretty easy fix, so maybe this is just how it is...

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back