john deere 2040 injection pump removal.

John Deere 2040 injection pump removal
If i understand correctly you do not have to worry about timing due to pin in gear and grove on shaft. My question is What holds timing gear in place when you remove the three pump connection bolts?

The gear probably fits tight enough in the gear case that it won't jump out of time with pump out of place. MF/Perkins and Ford diesels are set up the same way with CAV DPA pumps far as removing/replacing go. Just make sure the gear pin locates in the pump drive hub face and it will be in time using the case and flange scribe marks.

The gear probably fits tight enough in the gear case that it won't jump out of time with pump out of place. MF/Perkins and Ford diesels are set up the same way with CAV DPA pumps far as removing/replacing go. Just make sure the gear pin locates in the pump drive hub face and it will be in time using the case and flange scribe marks.
Should fuel be in the pump cavity? i am in North Carolina. Where is best place to send for rebuild?

Dieseltech, who answered you question, runs a pump shop and is highly recommended here.
Hover your mouse over or click on the D by Dieseltech. On the bottom is “Start Conversation” title it and ask him about your repair, click ‘start conversation’ to initiate. That is private no one else can see your conversation. When he answers it will show a number on your “mail or letter” icon at the top. He is in Indiana, many here ship their pumps to him.
Also edited to add, welcome to YT!

Last edited:
Should fuel be in the pump cavity? i am in North Carolina. Where is best place to send for rebuild?
I've always sent or taken my injector pumps to Dieseltech. He's darned good and has a quick turn around on them. There are others on here but I have met him and been in his shop. He's my go to person for injector pump repair

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back