1974 John Deere skid loader 170 (owatonna 1700) bearing help/ question?

pugsy

There is a shaft with a variable pulley/sheeve about 3 foot long that extends from the left inside wall, to the right inside wall, kinda under the drivers seat at the back of the motor. Where the shaft meets the wall there is what I would call a cradle in two pieces (top and bottom) on each side with a bearing on the ends of the shaft. The two pieces of the cradles have a bolt on each end of them to tighten the cradles around the bearings. They also have grease fittings on them to grease the bearing. I greased them very well, but I don't understand how the grease gets through the race to the ball bearings. Some times the whole bearing , race and all spins in the cradle making a loud grinding noise. Is the bearing supposed to have some little tip sticking off of it, to stick up in the collar so it can't spin the whole thing? Or are you supposed to tighten the collars tight enough so that the race will stop spinning and just the inside of the bearing spin. How do I know If I need to replace the bearing. Should I use shim stock? If so what is the procedure?

The outside race of your pillow block bearing has small holes around the outside to let the grease enter into the bearing balls from the grease zerk.. And the spinning bearing should be held on the out side by the pillow block itself and the inside race has a locking collar with allen screws that tighten to the shaft.... If still spins, you need a new pillow block and bearing and locking collar??? The pillow block has to hold the bearing from spinning..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back