Kerosene or Diesel...which is oilier?

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

I have some steel sockets and other tools that I'd like to clean and then leave a rust inhibiting oil on their surface. Which would have more residual oil, kerosene or diesel?

(quoted from post at 18:24:47 04/03/23) I have some steel sockets and other tools that I'd like to clean and then leave a rust inhibiting oil on their surface. Which would have more residual oil, kerosene or diesel?
ot no proof, no backup evidence, but having handled both for over 70 years, I will venture diesel.

(quoted from post at 15:24:47 04/03/23) I have some steel sockets and other tools that I'd like to clean and then leave a rust inhibiting oil on their surface. Which would have more residual oil, kerosene or diesel?

WD40 may be what you are looking for. That job, more or less, what it is made for.

In terms of chain length (probably what you're thinking of when you say "residual oil", in general the carbon chain length of kerosene is within ~ C12 to C15; carbon chain length of diesel is within the scope of ~ C15 to C18. Next come the lubricating oils.

So by that definition, diesel would be longer chains.

I would suggest wd40 also. Diesel
isn't what it used to be but you
can add a little motor oil and
shake it up good and it helps.

Thanks for the input. I did some research on kerosene and diesel and read that the order of refinement is that kerosene is refined before diesel and, if the oils follow diesel, it would make sense that diesel would contain more oil. WD40 is a water displacement chemical and in my experience it dries out leaving no oil film. I want the solvent effect of diesel to clean the tools and then plan to wipe them off leaving some oil behind to inhibit rust. So, looks like diesel is the way to go.

Try transmission fluid. Does a great job of rust inhibition.

Plus, most modern ATF's have more detergents in them than detergent motor oil, so if you're looking to clean the tools and keep a film of oil on them I would go with ATF also.

Neither. I have noticed that left untouched that spilled diesel on the floor will evaporate in a week or so. Not much protection.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back